Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warhammer 3!  (Read 39863 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 11:29:04 PM
I don't think I ever played a siege in either WH1 or WH2 because of the bad rap they get.

You're smarter than me, then.  I've fought a number of siege battles, albeit no more than I can help. 

It's not so much that they're bad per se, as that they're pointless:  Why bother having these battle maps with beautiful, grand cities if we can't fight in them (other than just the outer section of only one side)?  Grr. 

And I love me some fantasy/medieval/Renaissance PC gaming sieges. I feel like we all missed out on that.

Aye, we certainly did.  :( 

Clearly they don’t know either. They just felt more dynamic and exciting circa Medieval 2.

I hope we see siege battles more like how they are in Thrones of Britannia and Troy.  Despite the flak both those games get, sieges are one feature that are done quite well. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 11:30:55 PM
^Tell me more about the sieges in Thrones of Britannia...I hope to be playing it for the first time soon.

Always do what you feel is best.

judgedredd

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 01:54:17 AM
I tried to love Thrones of Brittannia...it was the right era and the right location for my interest - but my god was that game brutal.

I shelved it in the end with nightmares of playing it keeping me from going back. Marauding Vikings running about with huge armies when I had some tiny little itty bitty fighting unit. Also my other "local" factions had huge armies.

The AI was truly brutal. It just wouldn't leave me alone.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 02:31:37 AM
^Tell me more about the sieges in Thrones of Britannia...I hope to be playing it for the first time soon.

I hope you do as well.  :)  I still really like Thrones, despite its quirks & flaws, and it's been nice to see the game's reputation regain some ground these last couple years. 

Regarding the game's siege battles, I could probably spend a few paragraphs waxing rhapsodically about why I think they're good, but it really comes down to two main factors... 

1.)  The siege maps are fantastic:  They're not only big and look great (even on my potato of a computer), but they pretty much all boast a variety of terrain as well.  This makes for some interesting tactical choices, both for the attacker and defender. 

2.)  The AI is actually somewhat decent:  It's not brilliant, obviously, and I find it's generally a bit more competent at assaulting settlements than defending them, but either way I find it does a better job of handling siege battles than just about any other TW game I've played. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 02:37:46 AM
I tried to love Thrones of Brittannia...it was the right era and the right location for my interest - but my god was that game brutal.

I shelved it in the end with nightmares of playing it keeping me from going back. Marauding Vikings running about with huge armies when I had some tiny little itty bitty fighting unit. Also my other "local" factions had huge armies.

The AI was truly brutal. It just wouldn't leave me alone.

There are times I would almost swear that two different versions of ToB were sold:  It seems like everyone's experience with the campaign AI is that it was insanely aggressive, or a bit too passive.  ??? 

Out of curiosity, which faction(s) did you play as?  (I'm guessing either Circenn or Strat Clut?) 

judgedredd

Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 05:48:33 AM
Circen

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 12:26:16 PM
Thanks JD and Martok. Looking forward to playing ToB. Not sure which faction I will take...they all interest me. And maybe I will lower the difficulty, going by what JD said. Will also make it a point not to auto resolve sieges 😎

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 05:32:14 PM
Thanks JD and Martok. Looking forward to playing ToB. Not sure which faction I will take...they all interest me. And maybe I will lower the difficulty, going by what JD said. Will also make it a point not to auto resolve sieges 😎
Honestly - and don't quote me - but I think I started on the easiest setting because I generally have  hard time with games like this.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 06:23:36 PM
Well it's no secret that faction choice in Total War games tends to play a significant role in what kind of experience you have, and that can obviously include how the AI-controlled factions interact with you.  I've not really played as Circenn myself (most of my time thus far has been spent with Mide or Gwined), so they might very well have a harder time than other factions do. 

Will also make it a point not to auto resolve sieges 😎

:bigthumb:

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:53 PM
I remember I wanted to play as one of the Welsh and Scottish factions but both were rated 'Hard' or 'Very Hard' so it scared me away.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 10:39:11 PM
Gus, I replied to your post in a new thread (I didn't want to further derail this one): 

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=2967.0

See you there!  8) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
Looks like a new trailer is coming next week, along with (more importantly) video of gameplay footage. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 06:17:33 PM
I’m looking forward to it but I don’t feel I’ve finished with 2 yet

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 06:26:58 PM
I’m looking forward to it but I don’t feel I’ve finished with 2 yet

Same.  Hell, I haven't played even half the races yet, including some of the ones I purchased as DLC [*cough* Tomb Kings *cough*]. 

I'm starting to think this might be a "I'm definitely getting this game, just not on release day" purchase.  (Now watch me go pre-order it a month later like a dumbass...) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 08:51:15 PM
I already pre-ordered :)