Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thrones of Britannia  (Read 32814 times)

judgedredd

Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 03:16:03 PM
The difficulty bit me in the arse. That's why I stopped playing it. I liked the interface and the era...but getting screwed left, right and centre just made me move on.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 03:44:41 PM
^  Totally understandable, JD.  It's hard to stick with a game if you just keep getting smacked around. 

ToB sold a lot more copies than I thought it did...225,000, as of 2018 (dated now I know). It is still at the bottom of the list as far as sales for TW games, though. As of 2018 the best selling TW game was Empire with almost 3.5 million copies sold, amazingly beating out the first Warhammer title @ 2 million and Warhammer II @ roughly 950,000.

That surprises me as well, especially the Empire numbers.  Given that it's generally regarded as the worst game in the series, I never imagined it sold even 1 million copies, let alone 3-4.  :o 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #47 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:03 PM
A lot of people must have been sucked in to the E:TW modding rabbit hole.

Always do what you feel is best.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #48 on: February 25, 2021, 05:36:39 PM
I think I might actually own that one.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #49 on: February 26, 2021, 03:07:58 AM
A lot of people must have been sucked in to the E:TW modding rabbit hole.

I sure hope that's the reason.  The alternative -- that people might actually enjoy the vanilla game -- hardly bears thinking about.  [shudder] 

I think I might actually own that one.

Then you have my deepest condolences.  (Note:  I own it as well, unfortunately.) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #50 on: February 26, 2021, 09:32:58 AM
I have always hated Empire TW too, and it sucks because I love the era it is set in. I even tried modding it just yesterday for this:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?796057-Download-Link-Features-amp-Credits

...and I still couldn't get it to work properly.

:/

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #51 on: February 26, 2021, 11:52:10 AM
You guys are wrong about ETW. The Darth Mod and, my favorite, The American Revolution Mod made it a great little game. The AI was still pretty-much pooh but it did get better and the Economy in the game was spot-on.  :bigthumb:  Certainly not Shogun 2 worthy, but not the complete Pooch-Screw it's been made-out to be.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #52 on: February 26, 2021, 12:22:09 PM
There's an intangible 'thing' or set of 'things' that just hit me wrong with Empire.

ToB is better. Fight me.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #53 on: February 26, 2021, 12:43:37 PM
I have always hated Empire TW too, and it sucks because I love the era it is set in. I even tried modding it just yesterday for this:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?796057-Download-Link-Features-amp-Credits

...and I still couldn't get it to work properly.

:/

I'm fascinated by the Ages of Sail and Imperialism, and was really looking forward to a TW game that did a good job covering that/those era(s).  I'm still waiting for it.  :/ 

I've come to realize that I want an Empire 2 almost as much as I want Medieval 3.  Given that both games appear to be the community's top two wishes for the next major historical title, I wonder if the former isn't already in the works.  (Since if CA *is* planning to make both games, I'm guessing they'd do E2 before M3.)  Fingers crossed! 

You guys are wrong about ETW. The Darth Mod and, my favorite, The American Revolution Mod made it a great little game. The AI was still pretty-much pooh but it did get better and the Economy in the game was spot-on.  :bigthumb:  Certainly not Shogun 2 worthy, but not the complete Pooch-Screw it's been made-out to be.

Problem is, the crap-tastic AI (on both the strategic *and* tactical levels) was probably the single biggest reason why I can't stand Empire (although it was by no means my only complaint).  It was so damned dumb, it completely ruined my sense of immersion.  (I had a similar problem with Rome 1.)  And wishing no disrespect to the man, I've never been a fan of the Darthmods. 

There's an intangible 'thing' or set of 'things' that just hit me wrong with Empire.

ToB is better. Fight me.

I endorse this statement in its entirety.  :bigthumb: 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #54 on: February 26, 2021, 01:31:10 PM
I have nothing to back this up other than a gut feeling but I think the next historical TW title will be Medieval 3. The Empire and Napoleon games that include gunpowder weapons just never coalesced well, and if they stick to cold steel, it would be much better for them. Unless they have some kind of rework of gunpowder up their sleeves.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #55 on: February 26, 2021, 02:00:42 PM
I think ToB is my favorite non Warhammer TW.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 02:13:48 PM
^Wow, that is bold. You're gonna have to fight Slash.

My favorite TW of all time is Fall of the Samurai.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #57 on: February 26, 2021, 02:19:51 PM
 :bigthumb: Mine too.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:39 PM
^Bawb, always a man of wealth and taste.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #59 on: February 26, 2021, 03:52:15 PM
I would be a lot happier if the wealth part were true :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'