Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Thrones of Britannia  (Read 32337 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 07:53:19 AM
Um, no?  >:D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 07:55:47 AM
Patience, Sir Slash, there's always a Steam sale around the corner.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 10:04:23 AM
You don't have it??

Always do what you feel is best.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 11:18:11 AM
Do not have it. The reviews were very negative. I didn't consider mods making it a winner though.  :dunno:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 01:29:43 PM
Thrones  was already a decent game.  Mods just made it better.  ;) 

In fairness, I will say that (like Rome II) ToB was not in the greatest shape at release; a lot of the negative reviews it received at the time were well-deserved.  It wasn't until the final patch (the Steel & Statecraft update) that the game finally came into its own, but by that point, it pretty much was stuck with a mixed reputation. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 10:12:59 PM
^I think that was the 17th patch, IIRC. Still...I enjoy R2TW now.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 05:09:18 AM
I was actually still referring to ToB in my previous post.  I only used Rome II as a comparison. 

Although the fact that, like myself, you also enjoy Rome II (at least after the patches) was one of the reasons I used that game as an example.  8) 

Incidentally, I did play a little ways into a Circenn campaign yesterday.  While I've not run into any problems yet (it's still too early), I can already see (or at least guess) a couple reasons why they might be more difficult, and hence why judgedredd was having a hard time with them.  If nothing else, it appears to me as if Circenn's position and geography could be rather...challenging. 

It's yet further evidence -- not that any is needed, as far as I'm concerned -- that faction difficulty ratings in Total War games are pretty meaningless.  ::) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 02:59:59 PM
^Interesting. I really want to play as one of the Welsh factions. I think the best thing to do is to dial the difficulty down to Easy or Normal, ignore the games own difficulty ranking, and go to town. Going to start in the next day or two.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:54 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've started doing as well -- and in all my Total War games, not just Thrones.  Choose a gentler difficulty level, and then just dive on in. 

Good luck to you, sir, and have fun! 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 09:20:35 AM
Diolch!

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 09:49:36 PM
I had to tone down warmhammer2.. you play at the level, that the game is 'fun' for you!

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 09:15:38 AM
Just started my campaign yesterday as Mide (sp?) and I have to say the campaign really started to suck me in. The art style is not for everyone and I can see players not liking it, but I don't mind it and after an hour got used to it. The campaign is really immersive and gave me that just one more turn feeling. The number of factions is shockingly high but after about 2 hours a dozen factions got killed off anyway. I have everything set to 'normal' difficulty. The campaign map and the tactical battles look beautiful too. I also like the streamlined family and political dynamics, but I do miss the agents. Other than the art style, the only reason I can see ToB getting the crap reviews it gets is for the obscure setting and factions...it's just not for everyone. But I dig it so far.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 06:23:34 PM
Just started my campaign yesterday as Mide (sp?) and I have to say the campaign really started to suck me in. The art style is not for everyone and I can see players not liking it, but I don't mind it and after an hour got used to it. The campaign is really immersive and gave me that just one more turn feeling. The number of factions is shockingly high but after about 2 hours a dozen factions got killed off anyway. I have everything set to 'normal' difficulty. The campaign map and the tactical battles look beautiful too. I also like the streamlined family and political dynamics, but I do miss the agents. Other than the art style, the only reason I can see ToB getting the crap reviews it gets is for the obscure setting and factions...it's just not for everyone. But I dig it so far.

Glad you're enjoying it!  Mide was my first faction as well, and (thus far) remains my favorite.  :bigthumb: 

I knew from our prior conversations that agents would be the one thing you'd likely miss (I still don't :P ), but I suspected you'd still enjoy it despite that.  Otherwise, I like Thrones for all the other reasons you mentioned as well.   

I had to tone down warmhammer2.. you play at the level, that the game is 'fun' for you!

Agreed! 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 07:40:46 PM
Agents being absent seems like a missed opportunity for druids, witches, etc. Oh well.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 10:56:07 PM
How're the battles?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming