Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TW: Warhammer Questions  (Read 20897 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #45 on: April 15, 2021, 08:06:56 AM
I am around 60-70 turns into my initial campaign and realized I have no plan. It was to be expected having no real idea about how the diplomacy, economy, and technology work in the game. I am pretty sure my economy is in shambles. I have not yet researched the city upgrades to produce any tier 3 military units. And a doom stack of greenskins surprised one of my armies and annihilated it. The struggle is real.

I think I may restart the campaign now that I have a better understanding of the basic mechanics.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #46 on: April 15, 2021, 09:15:57 AM
The economy in TWarhammer also flummoxed me. I think it was because it was mostly abstracted.

Always do what you feel is best.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2021, 02:43:07 PM
From a personal point of view - every location should have at least one money making building and then trade trade trade - sell your soul for that agreement if you have to

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 05:49:07 PM
I definitely jumped on every trade agreement which often led to defensive agreement or military alignment. Not necessarily a bad outcome since they were with High Elf factions but I don't really see how the confederation route works yet. The one downside is it ended up hemming me in and limiting my expansion due to the alliances and not want to break them.

I also was all over in city upgrades as I really just wanted to see what they offered to my empire.

Also I underestimated the cost of maintaining several armies which quickly cut into the income in the early game.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #49 on: April 15, 2021, 06:46:33 PM
^That last point is the vital one!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 08:29:11 PM
Yup army upkeep is a killer ☹️

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 10:08:56 PM
Yup army upkeep is a killer ☹️

Too true.  For factions like Etaine (Tyorion) or Reikland (Karl Franz/Volkmar) where you don't necessarily need to go conquering early on, I typically field no more than 2 armies -- that's usually enough to defend what I have, but without breaking the bank. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 10:11:28 AM
Army upkeep always makes me its bitch in all TW games because I always want the new shiny units, but it was particularly noticeable in the WH titles.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 12:03:49 PM
For the majority of the game, my hero lord commanded 16-20 units and I had two smaller armies of 6-8 units guarding two locations that were always under threat. The net result was generally 500-600 excess in funds to focus on building upgrades. I probably could have done away with one of the smaller armies and accepted more risk to have more money. The struggle was getting to level 3+ tier buildings which are pretty expensive and require multiple building lines for the various units.

Anyway, I still really enjoy the game. Just need to relook the economy and building upgrade path. I suspect I need to be slightly more patient with expansion because I had the feeling once I got the conquering ball rolling it would have been hard to stop me.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #54 on: April 16, 2021, 04:28:42 PM
^I felt that way in my Gwynned campaign in Thrones of Britannia and then the game re-educated me, with prejudice.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 04:48:37 PM
Well I started a Lizardman campaign...holy moly people were not kidding when they called all of the factions distinct! New technology tree, block really, buildings, units who perform significantly different in combat. Not to mention their starting position is essentially that of Prussia. Surrounded by enemies and little strategic ground to establish choke points. This is going to be an interesting and rough go.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:34 PM
Never tried them or met them but I understand some of their units are hard as nails in combat

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #57 on: April 16, 2021, 07:22:04 PM
Prussians or Lizardmen?

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #58 on: April 16, 2021, 07:52:35 PM
Lizard Prussianmen, clearly.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 09:33:26 PM
Prussians or Lizardmen?

😂😂 lizard men