Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Three Kingdoms Total War  (Read 17117 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 10:44:39 AM
I think the whole franchise has been steadily losing ground for Historical fans since Shogun 2. They've gone to slapping something together, then waiting for Modders to improve it. Or even make it playable sometimes. CA Has lost it's MoJo. Don't know if they will one day get it back or just slide into obscurity like SSI back in the past.  :'(

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 11:03:35 AM
I dunno - I reckon apart from a few dlc/lots of dlc they’re pretty much done with the WH franchise - there’s nowhere else to go - there is in fact only so many races and once that’s done it’s done

Now if they want a proper go at mordheim or small tactical WH battles - the board game itself is generally 1500-2000 points centred around little villages with a few walls and a farm building - I don’t know if 3 is just too fantastical to appeal to WH fans - none I know of would ever have said yeahhhhhhhh let’s do 10000 point battles with all the demons we can get - it was a lot more immersive and cozy when it was 4 or 5 units of guys fighting over some VP in a village….. but that’s not a TW engine thing - so either they evolve the engine to be smaller and more intricate or it’s back to historical - there’s plenty to go and I’m sure more than half the community would kill for just Medieval 3 anyway, a reworked empire even

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 01:49:34 PM
I would kill for either a Medieval 3 or a reworked Empire…and CA have to know that.

Is it verified/bonafide that WH3’s release was indeed a true trainwreck?

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: May 18, 2022, 05:56:34 AM
I would kill for either a Medieval 3 or a reworked Empire…and CA have to know that.

For the past 3-4 years, every single player poll I've seen -- whether it was in the forums, on Reddit, or elsewhere -- has resulted in Medieval 3 and Empire 2 being the two top choices by a country mile, with M3 usually just edging out E2.  If one of those two games isn't the next major historical title, CA is almost certainly going to have a lot of (even more) pissed-off customers. 

Is it verified/bonafide that WH3’s release was indeed a true trainwreck?

Depends on your definition.  In terms of sales, I don't think there's much question the game did well.  While CA/Sega don't typically release numbers, Warhammer 3 was Steam's top-selling game for something like 3-4(?) consecutive weeks when it launched back in February, plus it had a large number of pre-orders, though we don't know how many.  Even if it WH3 hasn't sold as well as its predecessors, it's still made CA/Sega a lot of money. 

However, if one defines "trainwreck" in terms of quality of release, there's likewise not much question the game was released in poor shape.  There have been tons of issues, ranging from technical problems, to gameplay issues, to even core elements and/or fundamental parts of the design being poorly thought-out (which at this point can't realistically be fixed).  And we won't even get started on the Immortal Empires campaign -- the part of the game the vast majority of players wanted most -- not being available at launch (and almost certainly won't be ready for "primetime" until next year)... 

Suffice it to say, the DLC team has a ton of work ahead of them.  I do not envy their jobs. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #34 on: May 18, 2022, 07:43:02 AM
There are YouTubers who have made careers off videos tracking Medieval 3 or Empire 2 gossip!

Guess I will hold off on trying WHIII for a long time :/

I should remove it from my hard drive too since it takes up so much room.

I’ll reinstall when I hear that game is worth playing.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #35 on: May 18, 2022, 08:17:56 PM
Hey look what I found.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2022, 09:15:12 PM
WH3 gets some eye watering abuse in the comments there

I’m not seeing all 77 commenters represent the entirety of CAs clientele but nobody on there seems happy with them or their ability to deliver a decent historical

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2022, 10:05:14 PM
Someone did mention they wanted a Medieval 2 remaster (like they did with Rome) and I definitely think that is next. Would be a nice tidbit to hold us over until the next 'big thang.'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2022, 11:22:55 PM
Big Thang Total War! I'd buy it. If it was on sale of course.  :biggrin:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2022, 11:47:23 PM
There are YouTubers who have made careers off videos tracking Medieval 3 or Empire 2 gossip!

Guess I will hold off on trying WHIII for a long time :/

I should remove it from my hard drive too since it takes up so much room.

I’ll reinstall when I hear that game is worth playing.

At the very least, I would wait until Immortal Empires has been released.  Even better if you can wait until it's out of beta (though that's probably going to be a *long* time). 

Someone did mention they wanted a Medieval 2 remaster (like they did with Rome) and I definitely think that is next. Would be a nice tidbit to hold us over until the next 'big thang.'

I agree a remastered Medieval 2 is the next "title" to be released.  It's already available for phones, and Rome: Remastered followed a similar development path (phones --> PC's). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #40 on: May 19, 2022, 02:10:58 PM
^Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.

Big Thang Total War should be a real title or at least a character or faction in Three Kingdoms.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2022, 10:54:43 PM
One of these sales, I'm gonna pick-up Thrones of Britannia. Terminator says the, 'Shieldwall Mod' for it is excellent. Anybody tried it?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #42 on: May 20, 2022, 09:14:42 AM
I did, and I liked it. Thrones of Britannia gets a bad rap. There was a Total War sale on Steam this week - not sure if it is still on.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2022, 04:10:31 PM
No, it was just for one day I think.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #44 on: May 20, 2022, 05:31:33 PM
 :'(