Author Topic: ACD team for GUWS competition?  (Read 1447 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • Hope is not a Course of Action
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #45 on: August 22, 2021, 12:33:14 PM
Update: Tabletop History, aka Mr. Peter Pellegrino, has lost power due to Hurricane, (now Tropical Storm?) Henri, so play has been suspended.

It isn't clear if the other semi-finals were conducted or not. The finals round will be reschedule for a later date. I'll keep you all posted as I learn more.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #46 on: August 23, 2021, 12:01:02 AM
Here's the AAR for the semi finals game between the Armchair Dragoons and Brute's Buccaneers. Just like the quarter finals the ACD commanded the French fleet. Here's a reminder of who commanded what ship:

The British (aka the Bad Guys)

A=Ajax
B=Britannia
C=Conqueror
D=Defiance

The French (aka the Good Guys)

E=Endeavour - commanded by Tolstoi
F=Formidable - commanded by Mcguire
G-Guardian - commanded by Dr. Perla
H=Hercules - commanded by Tolstoi

There are three main differences between the quarter finals and the semi finals:
  • Wind is now a factor in the game - constantly blowing in from the north and it doesn't change direction.
  • The time limit for the turns is reduced from 3 minutes to 2 minutes.
  • Guns need to be targeted manually by telling the gun crews to fire on the starboard or port side. If you pick the wrong side and there is no target present, you don't shoot.

Finally, I'm still experimenting with ways to share my screen shots. You can right click on an image and select, "Open image in a new tab" to view a slightly larger version of it.

Start of turn 1
We start in a loose line and are spread out more than we did in the quarter finals game. Notice the wind direction indicator in the upper left hand part of the window. This will not change.

Start of turn 2
Following Capt. Perla's advice, we tacked into the wind to move north. This limits our movement to one space at a time, so the movement is slow.

Start of turn 3
The Brits draw first blood on Captain Perla commanding the Guardian. The Ajax, clear up at L1, is the villain who fired their guns and damaged the Guardian. Boo! Hiss!!

Start of turn 4
As we continue to sail about trying to get into a position to fire, Captain Perla scores a direct hit on the British ship Defiance. As a fleet, we are eyeing the lone British ship to the west, the Conqueror, as it is sailing away from the rest of the British fleet.

Start of turn 5
This was not a great turn for the French. The clever captain of the Ajax pivoted and stayed on the same space as I sailed to the south of them in the Endeavor. Because I am angled to the south west, I can't bring my guns to bear on the Ajax, while the Ajax blasts me at close range with all her guns. Ouch! The Endeavor is able to attack the Britannia and the Britannia returns the favor. Lastly, the Conqueror crosses the T on Captain Perla as he maneuvers the Guardian.

Start of turn 6 and turn 7
There is a lull in the battle as the two fleets dance round each other on the ocean waves. One of the British captains remarks we all managed to select orders that prevented us from shooting at anyone for the last two turns.

Start of turn 6

Start of turn 7

Start of turn 8
This turn it is the British who get shot up more than the French. The Endeavor and the Ajax trade shots, while the Guardian peppers the Defiant at a good angle.

Start of turn 9
As the French fleet continues to catch up to the Guardian, Capt. Perla crosses Ajax's T and blasts her at close range!!

Start of turn 10
With the game nearing the end, the Guardian and the Endeavor successfully sail into position to deliver close range shots on the Conqueror, without taking any return fire.

End of the match
The Hercules is the only ship to take any damage from the pesky Ajax as it pivots in place and gives the Hercules a broadside from medium range. I didn't tell my gunners on the Endeavor to man the starboard side guns, so there is no shots fired into the Ajax. Drat!

When we looked at the scores at the end, Captain Perla was by far the best captain on the briny waves. The French had doled out more damage to the Limey's which made us victorious. I'm glad Captain Perla decide to join our team! :)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #47 on: August 23, 2021, 06:06:02 PM
And that was some damn fine sailing in turn 4 by the Formidable, dodging potential fire from the Ajax, Britannia, and Conqueror! All the grace of the town drunk crossing the barroom brawl without a scratch.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #48 on: August 23, 2021, 09:06:08 PM
Haha.  Congrats on the victory!  Huzzah for Captain Perla! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #49 on: September 04, 2021, 12:19:41 PM
 :party: :party: :party: I am very happy to announce, the Armchair Dragoons were victorious and the winner of the Sail & Shot tournament!  :party: :party: :party:

I will get an AAR posted by the end of the Labor Day weekend. It was a lot of fun and I got the impression the GUWS folks were thinking of having another tournament next year, so if you wanted to participate this year and couldn't, you might have another chance next year.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #50 on: September 04, 2021, 12:54:36 PM
 :applause:  :2thumbs:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #51 on: September 04, 2021, 02:18:35 PM
 :party:

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #52 on: September 04, 2021, 04:01:07 PM
"Huzzah!" Captain McGuire bubbles from the depths of Davy Jones' Locker.

And the granddaughter's 4th birthday party went off with only the normal amount of trauma. Yay!

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #53 on: September 04, 2021, 07:41:53 PM
WOOHOO

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #54 on: September 04, 2021, 07:49:27 PM

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #55 on: September 04, 2021, 11:48:20 PM
Whoot!  Congratulations!!  :2thumbs:   

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike