Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 30274 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #105 on: September 08, 2021, 08:28:56 PM
He is Ghulavar - Terror of arnor

not from the books or the film, created by GW for the game - rarest of the rare figures wise, a metal one will go for 200 on ebay

always in the top 5 of most feared monsters

flies 12 inch, 3 attacks, strength 8, causes terror

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #106 on: September 08, 2021, 08:32:42 PM
Cool. He looks great. The price is certainly expensive but not unbelievable if he is OOP and metal to boot.

I honestly was stunned at the price GW was asking the Smog model.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #107 on: September 08, 2021, 08:44:51 PM
The whole ranges prices are screwed

GW for some reason doesn’t want to fully support the game and allocates a certain amount of resources to the figures - they used to sell the nazghul separately but now as a box of 9 saying it frees up moulds for other figures - shrug

Occasionally they do a ‘made to order’ drive and release about 20 old figures at a time and you can order them but it means the demise of 20 others to compensate

If it’s on retail sale from GW or FW I will order it from the club - if it’s OOP permanently or at a stupid price I order from some Chinese ‘friends’

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #108 on: September 08, 2021, 09:15:35 PM
Middle Earth is certainly the least promoted of their games. I browse the available miniatures but I do not have army books yet so its hard for me to tell what's "missing" from the range.

I think at least the initial factions I want to build out should have available models. Command units and the like for Mordor and Rohan. I want to look into an elvish army and Isengard.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #109 on: September 08, 2021, 09:22:50 PM
Don't mind me I'll be over hear jealous of y'all  :biggrin:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #110 on: September 09, 2021, 01:13:28 AM
Great write-up, geek!  I enjoyed reading that.  Ghulavar looks bad-ass. 

Don't mind me I'll be over hear jealous of y'all  :biggrin:

Also, this.  ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #111 on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:14 PM
I need to decide how I want to base these things and whether or not I want to do it before I prime them. I am inclined to just go PVA and fine sand with a couple of course ballast or other small stones. Prime. Brown/grey something base paint, dry brush, and wash. Followed up with a little PVA and turf and maybe a tuff. But I could just go vallejo earth texture. PVA and some turf. Oh the agony! (I secretly dread basing :))

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #112 on: September 11, 2021, 12:06:13 AM
Have you looked at geek gamings stuff - he has a us distributor

All kinds of pre made basing materiel - I got ‘plains’ I think it’s called - grass, small to large stones, sand, bits and bobs - PVA and then dip in that - add tufts as required

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #113 on: September 11, 2021, 09:45:29 AM
I had not looked at his site. I probably should do something like a base ready mix and just save my time. But I also want to learn how to use texture paints and other bits.

Planning to set up the air brush this weekend. Hopefully, I can make time to do so. Normally I just rig up a paint stick/wine cork with some poster putty or double sided tape and do one model at a time. However, I purchased the Citadel spray stick to hopefully prime 5 or 6 minis at a time. The problem is the bands are designed for the 32mm and larger bases. Middle Earth is a at 25 base, I think. Test run showed it definitely holds them but the bands can jump on if not careful. Not a huge issue but I could see that I may have to go back and hand paint spot coverage. Overall, I hope it saves me time.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #114 on: September 11, 2021, 11:09:21 AM
That’s way more technical than my models blu tacked to an old shoe box!!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #115 on: September 11, 2021, 11:17:21 AM
I have no doubt that your method is actually more practical and efficient. But I apparently like rabbit holes and have an overwhelming compulsion to go down them when it comes to hobby crafts. :(

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #116 on: September 11, 2021, 11:19:00 AM
I could spend everything I have and every waking moment learning how and then mass producing scenery for table tops but I can’t even scratch that itch - it would be the end!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #117 on: September 11, 2021, 11:22:52 AM
Well I for one am working against my own compulsion and will do a simple, tabletop paint job on the minis. Looking to produce mass not details. The scenery is a long-term side project. And more often than not ends up in me just watching youtube videos. :)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #118 on: September 11, 2021, 11:25:43 AM
 ;D ;D

I’m sure theyll be great - as you said it’s the gaming not the painting

And if I wasn’t ocd about the painting details I’d head straight to 3 basic colours because as with all these games - on the night after the initial mutual ooooooos at each other’s models it really is about the game and you don’t even see your paints

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #119 on: September 11, 2021, 12:09:42 PM
I get the painting OCD. I have it too. And it has in the past certainly proved at times to be less beneficial to the overall paint job. Especially as many of the miniatures I have painted for RPGs, the details are a bit suspect anyway. I like the price points of Reaper and WizKids miniatures but their molds and casting process does not really produce the best detail definitions. So half the time you end up guessing what the heck this or that line, bump, or indentation actually is.