Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 30524 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #75 on: September 04, 2021, 09:03:53 AM
Well I have the Rohan and Orcs all initially assembled. I did not glue on shields or riders to horses yet because want to prime everything first. The real positive is the dudes and I can play the first battle scenario with glorious unpainted minis and makeshift terrain comprised of things like books and legos.

I used liquid green stuff on the horse seams which is generally ok. I may still have to use the putty form to smooth out the seam on the horse's back. The rider's cloak mostly covers the seam depending on the horse/rider. I will say I am not seeing much in the way of mold lines. But due to size of minis and details, they do not stand out in the same way as a Space Marine for example.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #76 on: September 04, 2021, 01:59:50 PM
That was the big leap I had to make - here is an army of humans with some exceptional humans all wearing the same thing and carrying the same weapon

Compared to here is 35-40mm one man army bedecked in all sorts of detail and different entirely from the guy next to him

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #77 on: September 04, 2021, 02:01:20 PM
That was the big leap I had to make - here is an army of humans with some exceptional humans all wearing the same thing and carrying the same weapon

Compared to here is 35-40mm one man army bedecked in all sorts of detail and different entirely from the guy next to him

I used plastic glue for the horses back - it melts the two lines together quite nicely

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #78 on: September 04, 2021, 07:05:02 PM
Stopped by a games workshop store today…they carried no middle earth at all. I was sad. This is why online retailers get my business more and more unfortunately.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #79 on: September 04, 2021, 07:44:58 PM
This is why online retailers get my business more and more unfortunately.

FWIW, Gamer's Armory does a huge mail-order biz, too  :nerd:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #80 on: September 04, 2021, 07:53:01 PM
They stopped stocking in the uk ages ago - not even a promo board - you can have your order delivered to a GW for free but you can’t buy in there - I tried using the customer pc in store to order so FW stuff - doesn’t even link to FW, GW only

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #81 on: September 04, 2021, 08:05:38 PM
Stopped by a games workshop store today…they carried no middle earth at all. I was sad. This is why online retailers get my business more and more unfortunately.

How many space marines did they convince you to buy?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #82 on: September 04, 2021, 10:40:42 PM
I managed to not buy anything today. He did try to get me to order to the store but after I considered one factor it was easy to say no. Order to store 7-10 day delivery. Order from Amazon 2 day delivery. Not a hard decision.

I think what always gets me about the Games Workshop shops is they only have one or two game tables. You would think they would have more to host events but no.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #83 on: September 04, 2021, 11:08:30 PM
i think they use warhammer world for that here

It’s the only place you can walk into and buy stuff that’s not on the shelves and rumour has it if you wait and it’s resin they’ll spin it for you there and then 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #84 on: September 05, 2021, 03:25:02 PM
I can only dream of visiting this mystical location you describe.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #85 on: September 05, 2021, 03:37:39 PM

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #86 on: September 05, 2021, 05:20:46 PM
IIRC Nottingham is home to several miniature companies.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #87 on: September 05, 2021, 05:22:36 PM
Aye, Warlord being one of them :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #88 on: September 06, 2021, 11:15:06 AM
20 Army of the Dead figures assembled last night. Today I want to assemble the Mordor Troll and perhaps the Theoden models.

The question I keep asking myself is it worth waiting to attach the shield until after I prime the models. Benefit is the black shading in the recesses prior to painting color. Given the size of the minis and the close quarters of some of the spaces particularly around the shield it'll make life easier. The draw back is time between assembly, priming, and painting. I'll have around 96 or so figures to prime. Even if I assembly line them through the process it takes time. So it realistically a couple of months out from beginning to completing priming. First world problems...I know. :)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #89 on: September 06, 2021, 12:22:15 PM
On my elf cavalry I regretted putting the shields on as I then spent more time trying to get a brush in the gap and then correcting splodges