Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 30571 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #90 on: September 06, 2021, 12:51:47 PM
Yeah that is my concern which is why it's not even really a question so much as an indicator of my impatience to get the project moving toward a table ready paint job.

One a side note: I have been quite enjoying watching Zorpazorp on youtube. The channel is almost exclusively a Middle Earth SBG channel but he does also cover some WH40K and Kill Team.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #91 on: September 06, 2021, 05:39:36 PM
That and if you come across a few videos of him with a guy called Matt and a girl called kylie - those 2 are on the green dragon podcast and that’s all about tactics, armies, the maths of the game, and kylie is the world champion

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #92 on: September 07, 2021, 08:27:57 AM
Theoden's mounted figure was a pain in the backside to assemble. The number of pieces was not the issue it was the very small size and the reins which were problematic. The worst part was the reins honestly. Very tiny surface area to attach to the horses bridle. I lost some of the detailing on one side of the face due to having to glue the piece three separate times before it finally stuck. And I have no doubt it'll become separated within a game or two. While the "action" of the reins is visually very cool, I think it would have been more practical to just form them into the sculpt. Maybe on a heroic sized mini you can get away with such a feature but I am not sure at this scale it works great. Hope I am proven wrong of course.

Started to assemble the last models the Fell Beast and Witch-King rider and will complete the assembly in the next day or two. I should post some pictures from the hobby bench...

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #93 on: September 07, 2021, 08:49:18 AM
Look forward to pics

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #94 on: September 08, 2021, 12:05:30 AM
Some photos of the ongoing project:

The hobby table. Fairly clean at the moment but I have not started painting yet. Destruction will follow! The one downside of working in a walk in closet is the lighting is not so good. Really need to invest in a better lamp.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #95 on: September 08, 2021, 12:07:34 AM
Orcs! The second photo is a shot of the large flat support behind the shield. It's not really a huge issue but I am not sure how I will address it when I start painting. Most likely just some brown paint or perhaps leave it black.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #96 on: September 08, 2021, 12:12:16 AM
King Theoden. I really like the detail on the model. However, you can see where the super glue and my clumsy fingers met a struggle getting the reins to attach on the third photo. The result is some glue buildup and the bonding with my finger cause some detail loss. Used some green stuff to fill in the slot on the base.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #97 on: September 08, 2021, 12:17:18 AM
Let's see some Rohan riders. I love these figures a lot. A Mordor troll. I went with the easiest helmet mostly because after Theoden's mounted model I dreaded dealing with more tiny pieces on the same night. The white residue is from super glue accelerant. It comes off with a little scrapping and will be easily covered by the primer. A few of the Army of the Dead. You can see how far forward the figures are sculpted to lean. I guess its a ghost thing to have an exaggerated forward leaning posture. And finally the Fell Beast as it currently sits on my table. I will complete the build in a day or two.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:19:27 AM by Bison »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #98 on: September 08, 2021, 12:25:48 AM
Once I get the Fell Beast and Witch King assembled, the next step is to setup the paint booth in the garage. I think I will prime in black with the exception of the Army of the Dead which I will do in white.

Its been a couple of years since I used the airbrush. But I have some Reaper miniatures for D&D I need to prime so will shake out the rust on those models. Also I plan to do most of the Fell Beast with the airbrush. The troll and horses will also receive a base coat from the airbrush. I am considering picking up some brown and black contrast paint to do the horses. Watched a couple of videos on folks painting horses with it and the effect looked good. I am not going to lie. I am not great at painting animal fur/coats, hair, and definitely eyes. The rest of it isn't going to win me any awards but in my house I am the best miniature painter right now. :) Just want colors. Generally the same. To add to the feel of the game.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #99 on: September 08, 2021, 12:35:55 AM
I forgot I have a trip to the hobby shop this weekend to price out and possibly pick up flocking, ballast, the green shrubbery stuff, and hopefully some 6-8" trees. I would like to start on some scatter terrain pieces with kids too.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #100 on: September 08, 2021, 06:16:27 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #101 on: September 08, 2021, 08:24:38 AM
Excellent bison - you’ve done a lot of work in a little time!!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #102 on: September 08, 2021, 06:30:59 PM
Clearly disappointed with my command of Elven forces, Timmy, my opponent suggests this week he commands Elves against me to show me how its done - i take Angmar.

This is my line up, off camera on the left flank are 7 warg riders, on the right flank are 8 warg riders led by a captain. It was such a great scenario for me - in the middle of the board, is an artefact - get to it, dig it up, pick it up, get off the board on the opponents end. You can start 12 inch from the centre, and Ghulavar seen here with the wings can fly 12 inch every turn. Turn 1, he lands on the artefact, throws a 4 for a successful excavation and now waits for turn 2. Charging towards him is Glorfindel and 5 Elven cavalry - whoever gets priority next turn will either crash into Ghulavar most likely killing him or Ghulavar will take off with the artefact and head for glory

Angmar wins the roll off and Ghulavar heads back to rear lines as the Elves cover the back of the map with archers. In the previous turn he takes 2 arrows to the chest and loses 2 of his 4 wounds - he has no fate so cannot attempt to dodge these wounds and although he is a fighty demon of doom only has a defence of 5 meaning he takes wounds on a 5 from elven arrows who hit on a 2!! Here hes trying to get behind the house and stay away from the elven bow fire. The orcs close up trying to force as many in the way rolls for the elves as possible - Timmy can still shoot Ghulavar but now needs to roll to hit, roll to not hit an orc, and then to wound him - of the 8 bows, 1 hits home - leaving Ghulavar on one wound before he can get into cover on the flank.

Here he is tucked safely behind the house and ready to dash down the flank - hes 28 inch from the board edge in the distance - 3 turns to glory

In order to do that i need to clear away the archers - Burdhur and his band crash into the bowmen on the left, hes facing the wrong way because his massive 2 handed pick always gets in the way. The warg riders and captain crash into the elf cavalry on the right, and panic ensues in the elven ranks when a Barrow Wight paralyses Glorfindel and he falls of his horse (in the middle of that grey mob) meaning certain doom next go

In the end - victory is mine, Ghulavar doesnt make it to the other side but we score enough victory points for holding the artefact at the end and scoring hits on his army leader

Screw you Timmy and your 'ill show you how its done'!!

Having received an offer of 400 pounds for the Angmar army and nearly selling it, i declined and they take pride of place on the shelf as my army of choice - next upgrade for them will be a cave troll to bulk up the orc line

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #103 on: September 08, 2021, 08:14:36 PM
Excellent bison - you’ve done a lot of work in a little time!!

Yeah but I feel good to have purchased and assembled the set in short order. If I had not just pressed on, I think it would have sat partly assembled for months. And only way to play the game is to have minis build painted or not. :)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #104 on: September 08, 2021, 08:15:58 PM
Great write up UCG. I like the warg cavalry a lot. What is the large brown winged monster?