Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON......................Command & Colours (C&C)  (Read 14495 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 03:00:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of having to sticker a bunch of blocks. I don't really see what they add to the game anyway. I'd much prefer to have some nice, big rounded counters with great artwork on them.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 03:25:46 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 04:28:42 PM
I didn't think you could play C&C solo...?

You can multi-hand it, no problem. I'm almost certain there's got to me some solo variants on BGG.

Plus, there's a guy we just got a 'harumpf!" out of on the last page. Word on the street is he runs C&C games online or something. Unless that's past your bedtime, JD?  :biggrin:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 05:49:55 PM
Sometimes it's like I'm not even here.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 05:57:16 PM
 :hug:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 11:25:54 PM

:-*

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #36 on: September 11, 2021, 01:05:02 PM

Perhaps this is why you solo...

You can only see dead people?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #37 on: September 11, 2021, 02:54:41 PM
I don't think so. I think this site is just hostile towards solo gamers in general.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #38 on: September 11, 2021, 03:22:33 PM
I wouldn't say the SITE is hostile. A few folks are definitely not in the solo gaming camp.

I don't care if someone hates solo gaming...that's their loss.  :party:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 04:16:05 PM
I'm wondering, has anyone come up with a random battle generator for any of the C&C games? Or for that matter, has anyone created a scenario of their own?

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 04:25:42 PM
I don't think so. I think this site is just hostile towards solo gamers in general.

Oh, heavens, don't blame the whole site for me.  I'm just that crabby guy that yells at clouds.  Ask Vance...he'll tell you.

I suspect others are far more into it than I'll ever be.

And I'm not so much hostile as uninterested.  My bile only rises when I see a game that I think would be really, really cool only to discover it's solo-only.  "Field Commander: Napoleon" being the greatest example of this.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 04:27:20 PM
I'm wondering, has anyone come up with a random battle generator for any of the C&C games? Or for that matter, has anyone created a scenario of their own?

I've not seen one, but know quite a few folks that have built their own battles.  It's harder than it looks, frankly, because you have to work your way back from your love of the battle and the period to the level of abstraction in the game.  The latest WSS has an excellent example of scenario design for C&C:N from my on-line friend Conrad Kinch. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #42 on: September 11, 2021, 04:28:09 PM
My bile only rises when I see a game that I think would be really, really cool only to discover it's solo-only. 

Wasn't that like half of last year's Compass catalog too?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 06:41:57 PM

Oh, heavens, don't blame the whole site for me.  I'm just that crabby guy that yells at clouds.  Ask Vance...he'll tell you.

I suspect others are far more into it than I'll ever be.

And I'm not so much hostile as uninterested.  My bile only rises when I see a game that I think would be really, really cool only to discover it's solo-only.  "Field Commander: Napoleon" being the greatest example of this.

I've said it before, I actually prefer games that are not solo-only. For me it's the best of both worlds.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #44 on: September 12, 2021, 08:57:49 PM
Well my 5 year old wanted to play a game of Memoir 44 today and it was buried in the back of the game closet and I'll be honest I was being lazy and didn't want to dig it out and restack everything so I pulled out C&C Ancients which just happened to be at the top of the pile and asked he if wanted to try it as it was similar to Memoir. While he was unimpressed with the "boring board" and lack of terrain in the game he took a liking to the "soldier pictures of the blocks" so said he would give it a try. (Also he really liked the custom wooden dice I had for the game)

While we set up, which is always his favorite as he loves to hold and inspect all the playing pieces, I went over the basic similarities w/ Memoir and some important differences. He really liked the whole idea of battling back in close combat.  So beyond helping read some of the more specialized cards and helping him comprehend some of what they might mean in game terms he jumped right in and picked up the basics of ancients warfare faster than I thought he would.

Well long story short his light infantry just brutalized anything that go within range of his spears and arrows, which he then withdrew as I closed with my infantry and cav. He then destroyed my center with a very well played card for his heavy infantry. And to cap it all off he delivered a coup de grace with a unit of his medium cav commander by his general which not only wiped out a unit of my infantry but also succeeded in killing the attached leader.  It was a fun game and he did really well ... oh who am I kidding the kid destroyed me at my own game and won 5 banners to my 0     :doh:

Needless to say a rematch has been scheduled for next weekend, at his insistence because "it was fun and he wants to beat me again"   8)

https://twitter.com/thecommandtent/status/1437203901242019845