Author Topic: Rome II  (Read 467 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
on: August 28, 2021, 04:56:55 AM
(Wow, I can't believe we didn't already have a dedicated thread for this game.  Yes, I also realize I would've been the one most likely to have started it if we did...) 

I know at least a few of us still play Rome II.  It remains my favorite of the "modern" Total War titles, just ahead of Thrones of Britannia.  I'm an absolute sucker for the time period, and while the game's launch was a shit-show, it has (fortunately) come a very long way since then.  The fact that it received 3 more DLC's -- including 2 entire campaign packs -- a good five years after its release was an especially pleasant surprise.  (I really dig Rise of the Republic -- long live Syracuse!) 

All that being said, the main reason I'm posting now is because the team behind the excellent Divide et Imperia mod has officially released version 1.2.8, as of yesterday: 

https://divideetimperamod.com/divide-et-impera-1-2-8-released/

(Note:  It appears existing saved-games should still work, they'll just be affected by the changes going forward.) 

There are an absolutely stupid amount of patch notes, but here a few of the highlights: 

- Stamina Abilities for units have been removed, as this was causing significant lag and performance degradation during battles, especially on lower end systems. 

- Greek colony factions have received a major overhaul. 

- Random disaster plague events have been removed (yay!). 

- Upkeep bonuses in the Military Management technology tree have been replaced with population bonuses. 

- Victory conditions have been majorly revised.  They're now generally shorter, more consistent, and varied between victory types (also yay!). 

I'd kinda been holding off on diving back into Rome II until this update was out, so I guess it's time now.  :D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:22:22 AM
I’m finding some amazing stuff that I want to play in my back catalogue - this now too - that far exceeds any need to purchase anything new until a few anticipated gems are released

Gusington

• Trooper
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 12:59:32 PM
Damn you people...

Always do what you feel is best.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 02:20:19 PM
Thanks for the info, I was wondering why Rome II was updating :)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 02:32:08 PM
Damn you people...

Like you weren't going to buy it anyway or something  ;D

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 05:03:57 AM
^  I'm sure he would, if he didn't already own it.  Gus is just mad because I've now added to his (already extensive) backlog of stuff to play -- a problem I fully sympathize with.  :P 

I’m finding some amazing stuff that I want to play in my back catalogue - this now too - that far exceeds any need to purchase anything new until a few anticipated gems are released

Heh, indeed! 

Gusington

• Trooper
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 02:23:22 PM
According to The Steam I have 209 hours invested in Rome 2. I'm currently playing a modded version of The Attila: Total War Charlemagne campaign as the 'Byzantine Expedition,' reconquering the boot of Italy for its rightful owners.

I got persnickety above because I just actually uninstalled Rome 2 and whatever version of the DEI mod I had loaded because my reading and curiosity trailed off to the Byzantines. If I were retired and could do whatever the hell I wanted to I probably still wouldn't feel like I had enough time to game.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 04:46:09 PM
I'm currently playing a modded version of The Attila: Total War Charlemagne campaign as the 'Byzantine Expedition,' reconquering the boot of Italy for its rightful owners.

Sounds interesting!  What mod is that? 

If I were retired and could do whatever the hell I wanted to I probably still wouldn't feel like I had enough time to game.

Yep, same here.  ::) 

Undercovergeek

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 05:46:00 PM
Are we talking ye olde Rome 2 or the new fancy one or do the mods work with both

Gusington

• Trooper
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 09:00:14 PM
I think mods work with both ye olde version and the Emperor Edition as well.

Martok look up Byzantine Expedition in the Attila TW Steam workshop section and you’ll find it. It’s out of date but works fine for me.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 11:53:09 PM
Are we talking ye olde Rome 2 or the new fancy one or do the mods work with both

The Remastered version (if that's what you're referring to) is for Rome 1 only.  If you're referring to Rome II: Emperor Edition, then your copy of Rome II should already be updated to that version whenever you last installed it (or will when you install it again). 

I think mods work with both ye olde version and the Emperor Edition as well.

Martok look up Byzantine Expedition in the Attila TW Steam workshop section and you’ll find it. It’s out of date but works fine for me.

Ooh, cool.  Looks like they have a new version, too... 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202449125

Undercovergeek

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 03:40:25 AM
I did indeed think the new remaster was for 2 🤦‍♂️

Gusington

• Trooper
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 09:05:56 AM
That's the one, Martok. It's updated as of a few years ago so it shows up as outdated in my mod manager.

UCG I don't think you can go wrong with the new remaster or with modded Rome 2. There's potential to play for 10s of 1000s of hours and never have the same game or even session twice.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 12:11:50 PM
I cringe every time they update the DEI Mod out of fear it will kill all my old Saves. So far though, the Mod Team has been great at avoiding this and the updates have only made the mod better. One of my favorites.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming