Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K - Tabletop  (Read 7422 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: August 29, 2021, 08:50:43 PM
I finally have some time to continue assembling my two meager armies for the table. I have a small Space Marines and a Plague Marines/Nurgle force and kill teams of  Tyranids  and Astra Militarum.

The Tyranids and Astra Militarum are complete. I just need to break out the air brush to prime before I paint them.

Currently, I am working on assembling the Space Marines. I need to decide on a chapter but I am contemplating Salamanders. The Plague Marines/Nurgles are fine but I think I would rather build and paint Tau or Necrons.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 09:33:37 PM
Ooooo I’ll read about someone’s hobby journey all day!!

Haven’t played 40k since Rogue Trader 1.0 when it was a much different game

Do you play 40k or kill team

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 09:45:51 PM
@Bison, you should look up CPT Andrew "Red" Powell through Army channels.  He's the captain of the Army eSports team and a HUGE 40k guy :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 10:40:23 PM
Ooooo I’ll read about someone’s hobby journey all day!!

Haven’t played 40k since Rogue Trader 1.0 when it was a much different game

Do you play 40k or kill team

Well I played Kill Team a few years ago at a local game store which is how I ended up with the Tyranids and Astra Militarum. They were the only sets available at the store. I never had a chance to paint the models before moving. Fortunately, no one cared about the paint status of the models. I have not looked lately but there was a real shortage of available starter teams back then. I wanted the orks mostly for the terrain and the models looked fun to paint. Also, it had a much lower entry cost.

However, I wanted a little more epic feel. So my plan was to build a couple of 1000 point armies to learn to play 40K. I bought the Dark Imperium as a starting point for the armies. But I just never had the chance to build and field the forces. I have some time now and found a local shop where they play smaller scale battles. Of course, Games Workshop has moved onto 9th Edition rules and I have the 8th Edition so there is that but such is the hobby. Anyway, I am looking forward to building and painting them. I paint minis for D&D and really enjoy that aspect of the hobby. Not that I am a great painter but its relaxing and fun just the same.

Otherwise most of my miniatures wargaming experience is historical WW2 and Napoleonic systems the guys played at the shop.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 10:40:46 PM
@Bison, you should look up CPT Andrew "Red" Powell through Army channels.  He's the captain of the Army eSports team and a HUGE 40k guy :)

Cool.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
Ww2 - flames of war or bolt action

I’m a fan of the smaller skirmish type games which is what 40k used to be

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 10:48:51 PM
Bolt Action.

I also like skirmish games. Kill Team is a fun skirmish game. However, 1,000 point armies do not seem too big. They are mostly infantry and a couple smaller vehicles. Admittedly, my only point of reference is youtube battle reports and watching some local games.

Is Middle Earth a skirmish game?

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 03:39:21 AM
It is - at 800 points unless you’re running goblin town or Moria you’re looking at anywhere between 8 and 30 figures depending on how elite you’re army is

My 1000 point angmar list is 40

My 800 point Rivendell list is 18

We used to play test of honour and that’s about 12 figures

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 06:01:01 AM
Back in the days when we played 40K, I had a marine army of well over 100 figures, plus as least as many, if not more, orks. On top of that, I had quite a few Tyranids,  since a lot of the figures we used with Space Hulk and its excellent campaign book. The collection also contained not a few vehicles.

My buddy who I played with had a fair collection of marines, plus a decent size chaos marine force and again, a lot of Tyranids.

We designed our own campaign system which kept us going for almost a year and we tried to play at least once a week. We were lucky because at that time, my buddy had a gaming room where we could leave everything set-up without it being disturbed by cats/ wives/kids.

Happy days indeed :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 08:11:32 AM
Great memories Bob.

Two thoughts as I reembark on this hobby effort.

1. I really need to prime and base paint with the air brush prior to full assembly. Some of the bits are going to be a hassle to paint. And it would cover the hidden parts in a nice dark shade.

2. I am not really up on any up on any of the 40K lore. So I might have gone with a different game, but what I do really like are the Games Workshop model sculpts and availability. They are pretty chucky with not a lot of obscure fine detail. There is some and the Plague Marines have a lot more than the Space Marines. However, the detail seems pretty manageable since unlike the Wiz Kids D&D minis I typically paint the detail has crisp lines and details. No guessing what is what which often times happens on the Wiz Kids casts. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 08:37:06 AM
Same here - don’t play the game but have painted hundreds of marines - a nice base colour and some shade gets more than half the job done - selling them, there is a high demand for ‘blanchitsu’ style/dark painting which curiously enough is messier and less detailed than a standard paint job but seems much more popular

I did some plague marines and whilst I love the figures with the wheels and chimneys on the backpacks there was sooooo much detail and then a brass trim on everything!!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 09:55:57 AM
I had to look up blanchitsu’ style. Seems to be a more grungy, dirty look. Not really my taste but I can see the appeal.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 12:48:48 PM
Yeah I’m a colour inside the lines kind of guy but a few customers have asked for it

It’s from John Blanche who does the really grungy 40k art and some painters developed this into a painting style

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 01:24:11 PM
A style definitely not to my taste.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 01:38:21 PM
Yup me too - both drawings and painting