Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: 70's & 80's Rules Clarifications  (Read 2971 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
on: July 22, 2023, 07:25:31 PM
Just curious, what did you do in the pre-Internet era if you had a question on a wargame rule(s)? Nowadays, a thorough search/inquiry on BGG or ConsimWorld is usually good enough, but what was your solution before they existed? Did you mail the publisher? Phone a friend?

For me, I just my own decision or if I was playing with someone, a joint decision, and then continued on. 

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 10:06:59 PM
For me, I just my own decision or if I was playing with someone, a joint decision, and then continued on.

This mostly.
I did use the AH General as a source for answers as well.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:32:39 AM
Definitely an agreement between the 2

Probably massively wrong and way off intended outcome but as long as the 2 of you agreed no harm done

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 05:43:59 AM
Mainly as you say, use your own judgement, and also various mags such as S&T, The Phoenix, Moves and so on.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 04:12:25 PM
I usually just kicked the table hard to knock all the pieces over. Not recommended if your Mother was icing a cake at the other end.  :biggrin:   Otherwise, same as above.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 05:10:19 PM
Did anyone here actually ever go so far as to send a letter to the publisher and ask for clarification on rule? I do remember subscribing to Amarillo Design Bureau's Nexus magazine back in '82 to get Star Fleet Battles errata (and other information).

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 05:29:18 PM
No, I can't ever remember doing that.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 06:10:19 PM
At Avalon Hill, Tom Shaw was the office everything.  He did The General, designed games, marketing, shippimg, etc.  You could write to get an answer and he actually sent a teply.  However, he sometimes got confused and mixed up games.
Anzio and Afrika Korps both had supply counters and forts (Tobruk and Benghazi in AK.  In Anzio you built them.). We asked about the release of German units in north Italy and he made some answer about 21 panzer.  There was no 21 panzer in Anzio.  We finally figured out he was thinking of Afrika Korps.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 06:50:21 PM
We had a hard time getting copies of The General or S&T over in Germany, but we could get Dragon Magazine with no problem, so we found RPG rules clarifications a lot easier than wargame ones.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 07:07:27 PM
Did anyone here actually ever go so far as to send a letter to the publisher and ask for clarification on rule? I do remember subscribing to Amarillo Design Bureau's Nexus magazine back in '82 to get Star Fleet Battles errata (and other information).
Nope I never wrote in.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners