Author Topic: MtG  (Read 17871 times)

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #165 on: March 03, 2021, 06:49:17 AM
You playing your deck in Standard or Historic format?

Standard

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #166 on: March 06, 2021, 09:42:46 AM
Cool. At some point, I plan to burn my wild cards on a Historic deck or two. Most for the sake of viability for the deck over a longer period of time. I'm not sure I get to play enough to get value out of a standard deck.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #167 on: March 06, 2021, 12:25:35 PM
I hoard my Wild Cards, so, I could make a pretty good Historical deck if I chose.  I started playing online with the Theros release.  Through copious matches, I have gained just about full sets of all the subsequent releases.  I wouldn't know where to start on any of the older releases to make a good Historical deck.  And I am stubborn enough that I want to make the deck, not look up what someone else built.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #168 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:53 PM
The March "Season" just ended.  I finished Diamond Tier 2.  There are six Levels, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and Mythic.  There are four Tiers in each Level, from 4 to 1.  In the first three Levels, every time you win, you gain two steps towards the next Tier.  If you lose, you only go down one step.  There are six steps per Tier.  Platinum and above, it's one for one.  A win is one step up.  A loss is one step down.  If you lose enough, you can go backwards through Tiers and Levels.  Of course, the goal is to win and advance through Tiers and Levels.

It has been my experience that there are decks that gain popularity and are used extensively by players that are trying to advance and don't have much imagination.  While colors lend themselves to certain strategies and tactics, Blue for denial, Red for direct damage, etc., the amount of times I see the same combos can only mean that many people would prefer someone else do the work of building a deck and they can just copy.  As you might have gathered, I don't think very much of that.  Don't get me wrong, the minds that put together some of these decks are very creative, but, just the sheer number of times I see certain cards and combos means there are a lot of lazy people out there.

One of the things I have enjoyed over the past year playing MtG Arena is learning what wins.  This is a free to play game and I have stuck to that, less a $20 purchase last fall in order to insure I would be able to access rewards in real time rather than wait to accrue enough gems in order to get the rewards all at once.  So the only way to grow your card collection is to grind.  In the beginning, my card selection was quite small, so that effected the decks I could build.  I took my lumps.  Many, many, lumps.  But I watched what worked, in my deck and my opponents.  Now I have a much better understanding of what works and it is so much more fun.

What I have found out about myself is

1) I still hate Blue almost 30 years after the games release.  Mostly because I find the people who play it revel in its denial abilities and that just sucks.  Like, your opponent has all their mana tapped except one Island.  You attack, he declares blockers, and you are going to come out ahead in the exchange, then, WHAM!, Unsummon, returning your attacker to your hand.  You couldn't have done that BEFORE I attacked and you blocked?!  Dick.  Red and Black frequently raise my ire, too, but, Blue is still the biggest pain in the ass.

2) I like creature decks.  I would much rather send wave after wave at you than lay back and play defense.  I REALLY like cards that complement each other.  "Whenever this kind of card comes out, this effect happens."  Whether it's gaining Life, putting +1/+1 counters on my creatures, making tokens to put on the board, and so on, that's my gig.

3) I am much more sanguine about losing.  I still don't like it, but, there are too many ways to lose at this so it isn't worth it to me to take it so personally.  Hasn't always been that way, and certainly still happens occasionally, but, on the whole, I am in a much better place with the vagaries of competition.  That may sound like not much to you, but, as an illustration of how I once was, my sister sent me a meme yesterday captioned, "This is how every Monopoly game should end," and it's a flipped board with debris everywhere.  And not only did I agree, but, suggested Risk ended that way frequently, too.

4) While not about me, I have also learned that all things being equal, if you don't know what to build, build a flying deck.  As many times as I have played this, and it's well into the thousands of matches, decks that contain mostly or all fliers have a better than even chance to win.  That's because most people concentrate on terrestrial creatures/direct damage/combinations/denial. 

After reading back through this, not sure there is anything especially interesting or insightful, I was really just proud of the fact I got so far up the Levels on home made decks and I had to tell someone ;)  If you are interested, I'd be glad to share some of them with you.  :)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #169 on: April 01, 2021, 11:01:42 PM
1) I still hate Blue almost 30 years after the games release.

From a long-ago internet archive

EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED FROM PLAYING BLUE

If you appear innocent, people will, at first, assume you're not dangerous.
People will only make that mistake once.
Never give up the element of surprise.
When faced with a problem, make it disappear.
If you can't make it disappear, take control of it.
If you can't take control of it, incapacitate it.
If you can't incapacitate it, keep it busy.
Keep your resources open.
Recycle (even if it's not yours).
Always have a backup plan.
Always have a backup to your backup plan.
If you mess with people enough, they get pissed.
When people get pissed, they make stupid mistakes.
Some people really are named Tim.
A little dash of water can do wonders to clear a cluttered battlefield.
Big flying things scare people.
Know your enemies.
Always look like you're in control.
Glasses are no fun.
If you poke people, they get annoyed.
If you poke people enough, they die.
People usually get annoyed before they die.
Appearances are important.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
First impressions aren't everything.
Things never seem quite as cool as they used to be.
Appear strong where you are weak, and vice versa.
Mountains suck. So do forests.  Taigas are evil.
Brute force is not all it's cracked up to be.
The bigger they are, the harder the fall.
Things are tougher to start once they get started.
Play people against each other.
Always look like you know what you're doing.
Even when you try to make things fair, they won't be.
Never tap out

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #170 on: April 02, 2021, 12:04:01 AM
Sadly, irl, blue is my favorite color.

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #171 on: April 18, 2021, 02:04:10 AM
Not sure how I feel about the latest set...it's MTG goes to Hogwarts but with different school names to avoid copyright infringement. The abilities are fine but I don't seen lesson/learn going anywhere beyond this set. Magecraft looks like an interesting mechanic. Also it seems like an odd follow up to an ostensively Norse mythology set. I really do wish they would just go back and stick with the core lore.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #172 on: April 20, 2021, 07:15:43 PM
I am not at all happy with the look or the mechanics of the new set.  The play style they are encouraging is against the style I play.  I got beat by a Strixhaven deck last night that recycled spells over and over and over.  Of course, as the cycle repeated, negative effects built up against me.  Card denial is one thing.  Locking down your opponent makes me want to punch you in the face.  It is antithetical to the spirit of competition.  Me versus you, may the best person win.  Not, who can game the system better.  And now they have institutionalized that play style in this release. 

I immediately thought of Harry Potter when I saw the new release.  And not in a good way.  I don't like the art style in the least, but, I think because this release appears geared to kids, I am going to do my best to ignore it.  But, damn, if you are trying to get more kids to play, release that sh*t on a separate platform.

I like Magecraft.  I could see it being used in other sets to good effect.  I am not at all in favor of being to able to alter your deck mid game by bringing in cards from your sideboard DURING THE MATCH!!!!!!!  That's even more shady than a spell recycle loop.  If you can't beat me with what you brung to the table, maybe you should have brought a different deck.  So, the sooner Lesson/Learn leaves, the happier I will be.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #173 on: April 21, 2021, 06:10:29 AM
I find myself going back to much earlier (simpler?) sets, and enjoying them. I know that they need to keep finding 'new' things and mechanics but they risk changing the mechanics so much that the game loses a lot of its original appeal, (IMHO obviously).

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #174 on: April 21, 2021, 09:35:00 AM
I had the chance to play some Strixhaven this weekend with the kids.

Theme - I am not a fan of the Harry Potter feel. I find many of the card names just silly and immersion breaking. Hall Monitor, Field Trip, Pop Quiz...just wait until the D&D set releases. I block Tiamat with my Hall Monitor.../sigh/. My kids had fun and liked the names and art. However, they grew up with Harry Potter so it makes sense.

Lesson/Learn - I don't find it game breaking. Sure it expands a player's card pool but it comes with a cost. They have to give up both main deck and side board slots to play the combo. Also, there are not a lot of cards with the key words about 20 of each. So to tutor for a sorcery speed removal, card draw, or token generator you have to give something up. Right now its a hot mechanic because its new. Does it have staying power? The removal probably does. It's nice to have planeswalker or artifact removal available every game but not always taking up a main deck slot. It's viability in standard over the next two years depends on how it does in tournaments and future support.

Ward - A new keyword not a new mechanic to make in more costly to target a specific creature. This is directly related to WotC wanting to move away from hexproof. It's fine and not a game changing mechanic. I expect it to be used in future sets.

Magecraft - I really like this mechanic. It is also the mechanic that will be most abused in standard. Getting a trigger for casting instants and sorceries? Yes please. Just like landfall and prowess before it'll be the basis for commonly played decks. It will interact with every future set during the life cycle of this set in standard.

I am really looking forward to Modern Horizons 2 and next fall return to Innistrad.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #175 on: April 21, 2021, 06:00:52 PM
I have quite literally played thousands of matches on Arena.  I find that there are generally two types of players: those who will make a deck to win at all costs and those who make a deck to compete and win or lose, they are ok with that.  My Strixhaven example of how Lesson/Learn created a loop to win is also an example of the win at any cost mentality.  And they will.  A lot.  Because it unbalances the playing field any time you take a card from outside the game to inside the game.  The sooner they get rid of it, the sooner balance will be restored.  Just my opinion, based on experience.

@bob: unless they just invent something that breaks the game, I don't think the appeal of Magic will diminish.  It's still a contest of me v. you, may the best deck win.  As long as it stays like that, we should be able to weather game imbalancing cards.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #176 on: April 22, 2021, 06:18:57 AM
I think that I'm just an old traditionalist at heart :-) I like the earlier stuff more than some of these new fangled sets................ :biggrin:

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #177 on: April 22, 2021, 07:20:11 AM
Clearly you are a curmudgeon Bob!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #178 on: April 22, 2021, 02:17:15 PM
Correct.

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #179 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:16 PM
Me too some days...on the bright side I grown more and more enjoy telling back in my day stories. :D