Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Field of Glory Empires  (Read 25153 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:03 PM
This really isn't a 4X game. 3 x's only, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.
It's more of a historical sandbox game. Think of it more like Hearts of Iron but in 310 BCE. You play existing empires of the time and get to re-create or change their historical rise to power... or not.
It's a wargame for sure.

I've not played Aggressors.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 08:43:58 AM
One big difference is that Aggressors is hex-based and FogEmp is territory based. (That may not sound like a big difference, but it is. For example, you can affect the map a lot more directly in Aggro. You can research road upgrades in FoGEmp; you can send out crews to go build roads in Aggro.) The FoGEmp map is probably larger, too. But Aggro can generate a random map.

Another big difference is that FogEmp has the option of exporting battles to turn-based FoG2 play (even though different studios worked on the games). So if you liked FoG and its related games, this gives your minature-battles A LOT of strategic context.

Aggro is much more of a Civ-ish game than FoGEmp, with all that implies. (At least your units can stack in FoGEmp! -- not always true in Civ-ish games.)

FoGEmp is more like a purely turn-based Imperator: Rome, but it doesn't look as good, but it can have tactical battles via FoG2. I somewhat expect Imperator to out-game FoGEmp over time, though right now they're roughly equivalent at the strategic level, maybe with an advantage to Imperator in most gameplay details.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 09:07:03 AM
I'm reading that turn times can take a full minute or more after 200+ turns. Anyone experiencing that?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 03:05:37 PM
Turn times have been excellent for me.. my laptop is a lil slower than desktop, but way better than the older AGEOD system.. it flies on my desktop. I my first game ended due to Macedonia getting Legacy win around turn 116 or something.. second game,  I'm up to I think 170 something, haven't noticed a change in time during the course of the game.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 09:32:51 AM
I'm reading that turn times can take a full minute or more after 200+ turns. Anyone experiencing that?

Lol'd hard! -- I saw what you did there!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:30 AM
Ah, another fan of Pride of Nations?  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #36 on: December 09, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
Ok, I've got this on my short list, right behind Strategic Command WWI.

I have Imperator: Rome, so not sure I need a second one in the same time period and same subject.  However, I've seen some of you guys playing PBEM games, so that's a plus. 
Do you all have the FoG II.  Do you use it when playing FoE.  What about the DLC for FoG II?

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #37 on: December 09, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
I Have FoG II and all the DLC. I've not yet used it for battles in FoGE. And you can't use it for MP games.

It covers similar ground as Imperator:Rome but is a much simpler game. Fun for fast Rome era empire building.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #38 on: December 09, 2019, 03:03:33 PM
Ok, so probably just do FoE, and maybe TW: Rome when it goes on sale. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 02:00:45 AM

RTW (Complete Edition) is already available for $12.99.  Not sure it'll be discounted much beyond that. 

If you're referring to Rome II, then yes wait for a sale (although it's definitely worth getting -- I especially recommend the Rise of the Republic DLC). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 07:16:59 AM

RTW (Complete Edition) is already available for $12.99.  Not sure it'll be discounted much beyond that. 

If you're referring to Rome II, then yes wait for a sale (although it's definitely worth getting -- I especially recommend the Rise of the Republic DLC).

Thanks Marktok, yes, I was referring to RW2

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 12:09:51 PM
I can get the new "Field of Glory: Empires first DLC, Persia 550-330 BCE" for someone if you're able to turn around a write-up on it within the next few days.

Any takers?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 09:09:02 PM
Would love to, but honestly I still haven't played enough of the base game yet.  :-[ 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #43 on: May 18, 2020, 01:03:52 AM
Would love to, but honestly I still haven't played enough of the base game yet.  :-[
Same here. While i love the subject, i couldn't understand the game enough yet for me to want to play it (have no idea if that sentence makes sence). I am too lazy to read the manual and this is what is needed with this game.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #44 on: May 18, 2020, 02:58:13 AM
I am genuinely excited for the DLC, though.  Too few strategy games cover Persia (which I find odd).