Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Field of Glory: Kingdoms  (Read 10843 times)

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 08:07:29 AM
^  It'll be interesting to see which game gets released first.  The way things seem to be currently going, I'm betting on Field of Glory: Kingdoms.
Me too... seems to be almost finished (though KoH2 as well). Slitherine is a fairly aggressive publisher.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 08:13:30 AM
I missed the boat on the first Knights of Honor when it was new so I am really looking forward to the new one. No indication on when it will be released, really...so Kingdoms will be a nice stop-gap.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 03:36:43 PM
Slitherine is a fairly aggressive publisher.

Heretofore, yes.  I suspect the disastrous launch of Distant Worlds 2 has made them a bit more cautious, however.  Henceforth, I don't think they'll be releasing any game (especially those with high expectations) until it's been thoroughly tested and ready to rock. 

...so Kingdoms will be a nice stop-gap.

Personally, i hope it turns out to be much more than a stop-gap.  I wasn't kidding when I said I'm now looking forward to FoG:K even more than Knights of Honor 2 (though I'm still eagerly anticipating that one as well). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 03:39:01 PM
How dare you

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 05:50:10 PM
I like to stir the pot sometimes. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 08:22:04 PM
 8)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2023, 05:22:04 AM
Nearly a year has passed, and we finally have our first dev diary, which talks about religion.  Hopefully this is a sign the game is still coming out this year... 

https://www.slitherine.com/news/embark-on-a-faith-filled-journey-with-field-of-glory-kingdoms

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2023, 03:41:45 PM
^I really, really hope it is still coming out this year.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2023, 03:12:42 PM
Dev Diary 2 - The Balance of Authority: 

https://www.slitherine.com/news/field-of-glory-kingdoms-the-balance-of-authority

The Authority and Disorder system while being very flavourful and thematic to middle-age games also prevents easy snow-balling and captures the rise and fall of empires/kingdoms.

Please let this be so.  'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 01:49:15 PM
Sounds like we'll get to see new footage during "Field of Glory Day" on Slitherine's Twitch channel tomorrow: 

https://www.slitherine.com/news/we-are-excited-to-invite-you-to-our-field-of-glory-day-event

On the flip side, Marco mentioned during last week's TeaTime video that the game would not be coming out this year.  :(  Bummer, but at least now we know. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 02:10:10 PM
 ???

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2023, 03:36:09 AM
The game got a lot of coverage during the "Field of Glory Day" stream -- footage begins around the 1:22:00 mark, and goes on for a little over an hour. 

Bloody hell, Kingdoms is looking good.  It makes it that much more frustrating that it's not releasing until 2024; gah! 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #27 on: June 07, 2023, 04:39:08 AM
Haven’t played any of the franchise

Have I misunderstood kingdoms - is the experience diminished by not exporting the battles to the battle games or have I got it all wrong?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #28 on: June 07, 2023, 08:35:38 PM
^I think you're right...exporting the battles is time consuming and a bit of a pain in the ass but fun.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #29 on: June 10, 2023, 03:48:30 AM
Haven’t played any of the franchise

Have I misunderstood kingdoms - is the experience diminished by not exporting the battles to the battle games or have I got it all wrong?

To answer your questions in order: 

1.) Yes, you have. 
2.) No, it is not. 
3.) Yes, you have. 
:biggrin: 

The combat system in Field of Glory: Empires is actually pretty dang decent.  It stands on its own, and I'm quite certain it will in Kingdoms as well. 

If you want a quick overview, just watch the first few minutes of this tutorial video (narrated by Dastactic) that shows off the game's auto-combat: 

It's easy and straightforward, yet also still provides reasonable results given the troops and terrain involved.  And of course, you can still simply auto-resolve entirely, or export the battle to Field of Glory II if you wish. 

Honestly, the ability to export battles to Field of Glory II is a neat feature, but it's also something a gimmick -- one that is entirely unnecessary to the enjoyment of Field of Glory: Empires.  I 100% guarantee it will be just as unnecessary for Field of Glory: Kingdoms as well. 

Quite frankly, I think Slitherine over-hyped the ability to export battles to Field of Glory II, and I'm concerned they're going to make the same mistake with Kingdoms.  I'm pretty sure that by doing so, they caused -- directly and/or directly -- sales of FoG:Empires to suffer, as a lot of folks felt it would've been necessary to also purchase FoG2 in order to have the "full" experience, and thus they didn't purchase either game (unless they already owned FoG2).