Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

Age of Gunpowder / Re: Longstreet Attacks
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 06:04:49 PM »
Yep - rule 12.0 for a fire combat step and then 14.3a for possible defensive fire.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »
Right - so it can still attack, but only using the Fire Combat tables and not the Close Combat tables.

Good...I thought they couldn't fire at all which made no sense.
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 05:59:02 PM »
It can only issue a fire attack as its only action if under a limited activation, which, if its already adjacent to an enemy unit can be quite effective - and it could then fire again defensively if the adjacent enemy units declare an assault.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 05:50:56 PM »
So a unit under a commander who only has a limited activation, and that unit is adjacent to an enemy unit, cannot fight that unit?
« Last post by bob48 on March 13, 2024, 05:28:16 PM »
Yes, in a limited activation, a unit can only make a fire attack and nothing else. In order to conduct an assault (close combat) the formation must be under an attack order before it can engage (in other words, move adjacent to the defending unit(s)).

Remember also the sequence of play whereby with an attack order, fire combat is before movement and/or close combat.
Also, once assaulting units have been declared, the defenders get to issue defensive fire before the CC is resolved.

Hope that helps - if not, just let me know.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 13, 2024, 05:18:00 PM »
I've posted this on BGG - but maybe you can help Bawb...

I don't know if I have the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" correct...I think it means 12.0 Fire Combat and does not include 14.0 Close Combat...is that correct?

Basically (because my Union Leaders are pants) They are failing to get a full activation and so perform a Normal Fire Combat Step...and I have some units engaged with Confederate troops. If I am correct with the term "Normal Fire Combat Step" meaning 12.0 and not 14.0, then they can't attack?
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 12, 2024, 11:23:23 PM »
Re: that last one about artillery

We definitely take our fire support and very seriously.

We have direct support artillery battalions assigned to each maneuver brigade and then we have general support battalions assigned at the division level and then on top of that we have multiple brigades of artillery at the core level that can be assigned to reinforce any of the divisions or the cav regiment

Oh, and down in the cav regiments we have an artillery battery in every one of the maneuver squadrons

And that's before we start talking about close air support or naval gunfire or battalion level mortars

US Army does not screw around with launching big rounds downrange
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on March 12, 2024, 10:47:11 PM »
551 BC   Completion of the Temple of Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity

1714. During the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714) the French Army annually lost about 25% of its manpower through desertion.

1798. During the Battle of the Nile a British gunner was about fire his gun when his right arm was taken off by a French cannonball, whereupon he snatched the match from the deck with his left hand, fired the gun, and then reported to sick bay.

1940. The arrest by the Crown of Sir Oswald Moseley, the head of the British Union of Fascists, was appropriately reported the next day in The Times, in the fifth column.

1944 The Allied drive across France and Belgium in the late Summer and Autumn of 1944 was accomplished through the expenditure of about 27 million gallons of gasoline each day.

1945  By the end of World War II the U.S. Army had 663 battalions of field artillery, enough for over 165 divisions, though there actually were never more than 90 divisions.
Intel Dump / Re: Tuesday Newsday! Weekly dump of wargaming news
« Last post by bayonetbrant on March 12, 2024, 04:29:24 PM »
Prayers for Dean Essig ~ #TuesdayNewsday
new releases, Moe's upcoming Eylau 1807 auction, Gamesurvey (re)launches, bunch of industry news, GAMA Expo notes, and stuff for practitioners, too!

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/news/tn0301224/

The Modern World / Re: Last Hundred Yards V5
« Last post by JudgeDredd on March 12, 2024, 08:36:30 AM »
Yeah - I do see he has alot of second hand games