Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 69675 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #150 on: November 09, 2021, 09:14:04 PM
Dev Diary #6 examines one of the main features of the Distant Worlds series -- the economy, and the game's private economy in particular: 

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/distant-worlds-2-dev-diary-6

For those of us who are familiar with the first game, it appears as if there won't be much radically different in the way the economy operates.  However, it should be a good deal easier to make use of and understand (thanks to the improved UI/UX) -- along with looking much better, of course. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #151 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:09 AM
I wonder if this is effectively Dev Diary #7:  Explorminate's Benjamin Halford (BATTLEMODE on their forums and Discord) got an exclusive look at the game's research & technology system... 

https://explorminate.co/an-exclusive-research-in-distant-worlds-2/

It appears it's going to be a fairly major upgrade/revamp over what was in DW:U, at least under the hood, although the basic research screen still looks much the same as before.  (If anything, that's one thing I have a concern about -- it look as if there might not be scalable text, which was an issue with the previous game, as it made it difficult for some players to read technologies and their descriptions.)  Still, there are some genuinely interesting changes/features being added. 

Some highlights (though definitely not all -- the full article is definitely worth reading): 

-  The tech tree is now "hidden" beyond a certain point past your current technology level, adding an element of uncertainty to that part of the game. 

-  The tech tree can be randomized (this option is chosen at game start) players who prefer a less predictable research path, and/or enjoy "exploring" the technology tree (ala Stellaris). 

-  There are also now repeatable techs, so that research doesn't suddenly become a dead-end in the late game, but remains useful throughout. 

-  The three separate research trees from the first game have been combined into a single tree in DW2, though players retain the ability to research multiple techs/projects simultaneously. 

-  When making first contact with an alien race, you now gain access to "diplomatic technologies" which will allow you to better make friends with them (even the usually-unpleasant insectoid species!). 

-  The technology tree in general has been greatly expanded -- even with now being a single field, it's still significantly larger than DW:U's original three tech trees combined. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #152 on: November 24, 2021, 02:39:41 PM
That sounds good on the research changes.

I will admit though, I really like the random options for research options in Stellaris.  So I will be using random research setting in DW2. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #153 on: November 24, 2021, 02:59:28 PM
WOW!!  DW:U is on sale during the Matrix Holiday sale for $6.  That's 90% off. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #154 on: November 24, 2021, 03:37:41 PM
I will admit though, I really like the random options for research options in Stellaris.  So I will be using random research setting in DW2.

Same here, for sure.  After experiencing Stellaris' research system the last 4-5 years, it's hard to imagine going back to a predetermined tech tree. 

WOW!!  DW:U is on sale during the Matrix Holiday sale for $6.  That's 90% off. 

Well it's not likely that they're selling many copies at the $60.00 price, especially with the sequel coming out in a few months.  ;D 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #155 on: November 30, 2021, 08:04:03 PM
A couple new previews... 

https://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/distant-worlds-2-interview/13306

https://www.pcgamesn.com/distant-worlds-2/engine-tech

I'm not seeing a whole lot of new information overall, although there are a few crumbs: The first article talks about pirates and independent colonies in a bit more detail, for insance.  In addition, it mentions DW2 has a new feature, Debris Salvaging -- from the description, it sounds somewhat similar to Stellaris' mechanic of being able to dispatch a Scientist commanding a science vessel to research battle debris. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #156 on: December 13, 2021, 03:08:56 PM
Some official news coming tomorrow.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #157 on: December 13, 2021, 03:29:04 PM
Some official news coming tomorrow.

‘Surprise!!!!! It’s out tomorrow’

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #158 on: December 14, 2021, 12:24:42 AM
Heh, that would indeed be a surprise.  However, at this point I'd be happy just getting a firm release date.  (Although I wouldn't mind more actual info as well.)  ::) 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #159 on: December 14, 2021, 09:24:00 AM
RELEASE DATE

10 MARCH 2022

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #160 on: December 14, 2021, 09:41:35 AM
I’ll take that - that’s not too bad at all

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #161 on: December 14, 2021, 10:35:30 AM
Sounds good to me

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #162 on: December 14, 2021, 03:52:19 PM
Thank goodness. 

I've been about ready to lose my mind with the lack of news/info.  I know it would be hilariously naive of me to hope for more, now that a release date has finally been announced -- and yet I hope for it anyway.  I'm greedy, I know.  ::) 

Incidentally, the actual announcement starts at around the 32:35 mark for anyone who's curious: 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #163 on: December 14, 2021, 06:12:02 PM
Incidentally, the actual announcement starts at around the 32:35 mark for anyone who's curious: 

Just don't blink, or you'll miss it. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #164 on: December 14, 2021, 08:40:01 PM
Yeah, it's only a 40-second (or so) teaser.  I'm surprised they didn't post a separate video of it on YouTube; lord knows they did for every other announcement and bit of game footage.  ::)