Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173521 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #720 on: July 31, 2021, 06:36:32 PM
While you are sleeping cats use your wargames to test out plans to take over the world.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #721 on: July 31, 2021, 08:45:49 PM
I'm not moving!

Yeah, that's an 'I dare you!' if I ever saw one.

While you are sleeping cats use your wargames to test out plans to take over the world.

Let's hope they started with Campaign for North Africa. If we're lucky we will have gone on to colonize other planets while the cats are still arguing over turn three.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:49:59 PM by Staggerwing »

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #722 on: August 01, 2021, 02:43:53 PM
I'm not moving!

And it looks like your cat defeated the enemy units in one fell swoop of his her tail!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:04:08 PM by W8taminute »

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #723 on: August 01, 2021, 04:00:50 PM
That she did.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #724 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:42 PM
My friend kickstarted the board game version of Company of Heroes and we finally got round to giving it a try this afternoon.  Really nice production values.  A lot of how the components looked, how you assembled them during gameplay, and how you indicated special abilities/modifiers are very similar to Tide of Iron yet cleaner and easier to manage.

The gameplay had more depth than I was expecting but does have some rules that I personally found a bit odd.  I guess they were trying to evoke the feel of the computer game.  They seemed to work well enough but I found I had to throw out a lot of my preconceptions as to how things should work based on other tactical games in order to come to grips with this one.  The 2 hex range for nearly all weapons and the lack of any sort of overwatch are what gave me the most difficulty.  I also wasn't really a fan of the fact that there aren't really any scenarios with specific objectives.  It's always just a generic skirmish with different maps and factions.

We played two games with me as the Brits and my friend as the Jerries.  Brits managed to pull off two wins.  They seem to be very good at turtling and holding ground.  in the first game, I was able to seize the lion's share of the objective points and then just start throwing up defences and running up the VP total.  My little Bren carrier with 2 flamethrowers pretty much roasted everything in sight.  The Germans really made a mistake in not concentrating fire on it early on.

I wouldn't buy this for myself, but I'll play it again if someone wants to get it out on the table.

judgedredd

Reply #725 on: August 19, 2021, 04:36:25 PM
I've decided to get World at War '85 on the table again - with a plan to not remove it until I have some of the many, many scenarios under my belt.

And don't ask about the disposition of the US forces...I don't know what I was thinking...well, I do - but I forgot you can't shoot from a hill unless you are at the edge of the hill.

As for the Russians, I know they're split, but a wee detour up north might pin some US forces. It's a risk because they could become out of command and I probably shouldn't have done it - kind of re-learning the rules  :doh:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:38:41 PM by judgedredd »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #726 on: August 19, 2021, 05:06:54 PM
It will definitely be some OST for me  :) :) :)

judgedredd

Reply #727 on: August 19, 2021, 05:12:14 PM
 ;)

judgedredd

Reply #728 on: October 22, 2021, 03:20:46 PM
I managed to pry myself away from Fields of Fire (I really am in love with it) and I opened this up

WWII Commander : Battle of the Bulge

At first - I wasn't sure. It seemed pretty easy - not an awful lot really going on - but now I'm a handful of turns in, it's turning out to be a wee cracker.

Things you have to consider
  • There's only 10 turns per day (13 days) - and each player only gets 5 of them - so basically activating 5 "sectors" a day
  • The initiative changes part way through the campaign
  • You have to keep those supply lines open
  • Different sectors have different "save" values and so you need extra punch
  • Where to attack and with what - risk armour (your best units) or send in infantry
  • Punching through heavily defended terrain (hit save values on terrain)
  • You have the initiative but that changes to the US from the 23rd
  • Attacking across rivers has a penalty - send your weaker troops over to bridge the area and remove the penalty?
  • From 21st the Americans get to mark 3 units out of fuel and the Germans can remove 2 of those
  • From 26th the Americans get to mark 3 units out of fuel and the Germans can only remove 1 of those
  • From the 23rd the Allies get +1 to their attack rolls

There's lots more. The game and the rules on the face of it seem very limited and that's true when it comes to modifiers (there's literally 6 modifiers for the attacker and 3 for the defender) - but the choices you have to make - what sector to activate, where to attack, with what, keeping supply open, risk a river crossing attack etc, etc...the game is deceptively deep.

Very much enjoying this first outing. I don't know how much replay it'll have with one player though - that's the only thing. Lots of things happen at set times (no randomisation there) and the only real difference in each game would be the outcome of conflict.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #729 on: October 22, 2021, 03:25:14 PM
 :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #730 on: October 23, 2021, 11:09:48 AM
I have London's Burning on one table, and Charlemagne: Master of Europe on another.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #731 on: October 23, 2021, 10:42:43 PM
Not a wargame, but it's been a 7 Wonders weekend.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #732 on: October 23, 2021, 10:59:32 PM

that makes for an excellent weekend....

any expansions, or just the base game?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #733 on: October 24, 2021, 10:20:35 AM

that makes for an excellent weekend....

any expansions, or just the base game?

After several plays of just the base game, the expansions will be arriving soon.  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #734 on: October 24, 2021, 10:32:12 AM
Cities and the Cities anniversary pack are must-haves

Leaders was crap and should be burned

Babel was a mixed bag: the titular tower was VERY fiddly, but the Grey Projects expansion was pretty good

I own, but have not yet played, Armada

As a two-player implementation, Duel is excellent but I have not yet played any of the expansions to it

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love