Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173659 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #765 on: December 07, 2021, 06:41:32 AM
Yummy!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #766 on: December 07, 2021, 07:09:22 AM
I got Reinforcements recently (which is the solo expansion for David Thompson's Undaunted series) - I already had North Africa, so I added Normandy as it's pretty inexpensive. I'd played North Africa and had a lot of fun with it using a solo variant, so I can't wait to see what David and company did with this expansion.

My game table is loaded with Shadows of Brimstone minis and paints, none of which I've had a lot of time to work with. Underneath that table is a blanket which was one of my Bassett's favorite places to hang out/snooze. It's a little tough because we had to put him down two nights ago...he was old and had some issues going on. I'm not much in the mood for painting but am hoping to get remotivated here in the next week or so, as well as get the Reinforcements expansion to the table.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #767 on: December 22, 2021, 04:23:54 PM
Just arrived… like 5 mins ago.  :biggrin:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #768 on: December 22, 2021, 04:27:27 PM
 :bigthumb:

I've been tempted by both of those, but they sounded more like CYOA-type games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was not sure about it. Would be happy to hear your thoughts on both.

I know someone else posted about Bismark before, and their analysis made it sound like the game was okay but not great. (Was that Trailrunner? I can't recall.)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #769 on: December 22, 2021, 04:55:55 PM
Don't let Cyrano see those!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #770 on: December 29, 2021, 11:36:00 AM
Just arrived at the front door!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #771 on: December 29, 2021, 12:07:14 PM
Wow. I didn't know about that at all. Seems as is if the Pacific Theatre is very popular these days. Look forwards to seeing what you think of it.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #772 on: December 29, 2021, 10:20:55 PM

Bismarck Solitaire sounds interesting.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #773 on: December 30, 2021, 03:44:38 AM
Enemy Action:Ardennes
Still going. I have created a bulge but the Allies have rallied and stopped me dead.

It's the 21st December and the Allies now have airpower. This can hobble the German player by having to relinquish his highest Command level card from his hand (which I had to do in fact - it's done if you turn over an Allied Command card and it has the Airpower event).

Also, the Allies have an absolute mountain of scheduled reinforcements coming on the 22nd (highlighted in green)...so I don't think I'm going to get much further but I'll crack on to see how it pans out.

I'm not sure how this game plays out in terms of real life - particularly things like placement of units - but it's been a hoot. Hard work as the automation of the AI, whilst pretty good I have to say, is difficult to master...lots of reading required.

The damage chit pull process is.......interesting. I thought it was going to be great (because it was something new) but really, it can be super wonky. I was attacking one Allied unit with 7 fairly strong German units (6:1 odds if I recall) and I suffered 2 hits to the Allied 0 hits. Sure - dug in troops can have an effect, but things like banking on artillery support aren't really in this game...you can use an Artillery Combat Tactic - but if no chit turns up for artillery being present then you don't get that "shift" that you would on a CRT.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #774 on: December 30, 2021, 06:49:20 AM
'Assault - Red Horizon 41' remains firmly on my table for now, and I'll be adding more to my thread on the games soon(ish).

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #775 on: December 30, 2021, 07:55:41 AM
:bigthumb:

I've been tempted by both of those, but they sounded more like CYOA-type games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was not sure about it. Would be happy to hear your thoughts on both.

I know someone else posted about Bismark before, and their analysis made it sound like the game was okay but not great. (Was that Trailrunner? I can't recall.)

I did post a short review of Bismark.  And yeah, I thought it was OK, but not great.  I never did finish all the missions before I shelved the game.  But, I've seen a lot of very positive reviews, so my less-than-stellar opinion seems to be an outlier.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #776 on: December 30, 2021, 08:05:05 AM
Don't sell your opinion short, especially when it's less than glowing among a sea of positive reviews. I tend to pay more attention to critical reviews when a game is overwhelmingly approved by the community. I'm just not sure I'm a fan of the format.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #777 on: December 30, 2021, 09:34:34 AM

Bismarck Solitaire sounds interesting.

It is interesting. And fun, to me. It is very light and don’t expect a lot of depth but it is meant to be played in about 30 minutes.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #778 on: December 30, 2021, 09:42:20 AM
… I'm just not sure I'm a fan of the format.

What do you mean by “format”? Physical or game style?
For physical, Lots of people not happy with the “write on the page” idea, but there’s lots of ways around that.

For game style, if you never liked B-17Queen of the Skies, or it’s modern version Target for Today, and games like that then you probably won’t like Bismarck either. I do feel that Bismarck gives you a bit more agency than the others but not much.

These are basically time wasters or something you can play at one end of the couch while yer wife watches her TV shows and you can be in the same room.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #779 on: December 30, 2021, 09:47:44 AM
No, I do enjoy B-17 and TfT. I thought these were more like a book style, sans large map and counters?

I'd had my eye on this as well as Waterloo Solitaire. I'd prefer a boxed game style though, but it sounds like I'm expecting too much and need to look at this like it's a time waster, as you're saying.