Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Alien RPG by Free League  (Read 3457 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:01 PM
I kept hearing good things about this title so I picked up the core rulebook.  I really like the art in the book but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the game system.  I guess I just have a disconnect with the newer style RPGs.  The rules are very light (4 stats, only 12 skills in total) and the game encourages players to interpret their own dice rolls in order to tell the GM what they mean and what happened.  I'm just not a fan of this group storytelling mechanic.  Takes too much control away from the GM IMO.  The rules governing persuasion are also not to my liking as it takes agency away from the players.  If one character such as an officer passes their roll, the player they issued an order to must obey regardless of that player's own desires. 

Despite my reservations, my group is eager to try it out so I figure we'll give it a bash but I think I might try to sub in a different rules system.  Apart from the core rules, the game does a good job of getting the theme right and the rules covering panic and stress as well as personal agendas and inter-party rivalries seem interesting.  I was thinking of using the old Space Master rules and combining them with the above-mentioned game mechanics and trying a campaign out. 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:09:56 PM
I have the Core Rules PDF of this. I found it interesting that there are 'cinematic' adventures and adventures that are more for campaign play. In the former you're going to be running into zenomorphs like you would in one of the films, but the campaign is more open ended and not all about the Aliens.

Let us/me know how that went, I'd be very interested to hear how it worked out.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:58:36 PM
Never happened thanks to our idiotic lockdown restrictions.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 09:56:09 AM
That's a shame. I just recently grabbed the Core Rules and the Colonial Marine sourcebook, both of which are excellent. Now, I just need time to read them. I am likely never going to play it but the lore and background stuff is very interesting and worth the price. For me, anyway.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)