Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 29319 times)

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #105 on: May 23, 2022, 02:14:58 PM
Thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents and a bit more then just a couple of words recommending to get the game.

Short answer - I'm glad I held off buying Humankind and waited for Old World to hit Steam. 

Long answer:

I'm really enjoying the depth this game has to offer.  I highly recommend playing the tutorials before diving into a proper game.  This game does indeed require some preparatory classes, aka the tutorials, in order to appreciate the main game.  Much like attending university to become educated enough for an advanced career, this game requires some education in order to play this advanced game.

Not recommending this game if you are a casual civ player.  I can see that Old World might not be appealing to a hard core civ'er either. 

To derive joy out of this game you must divorce yourself from all things civ and have an open mind. 

The scope of this game is limited to just the ancient and classical ages.  Because of that however the game can offer focused features and gameplay mechanics that would not work in later ages.  Old World is really impressing me for what it is but this game might not be for everyone and certainly not for a casual gamer. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #106 on: May 23, 2022, 05:02:39 PM
I bought this when it released last week on The Steam and I have played 4 of the 5 extensive tutorials, and as a gaming strumpet harlot, I have to admit I am about to fall in love.

I like the combination of strategery and family dramah, and I also really like the tight focus of only about three centuries in the ancient world. Once I am done with the final tutorial (tonight), I am going to try my first actual campaign as Persia.

I was never a Civ fanatic, just a casual player, and always longed for a similarly designed game set in one era with minute detail, and it looks like I finally got it.

Always do what you feel is best.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #107 on: May 23, 2022, 08:35:48 PM
Thats guys thats helpful. I've always enjoyed the early parts of Civ games and wished I could take more time and detail in those ancient eras so this sounds like it might be a good fit.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #108 on: May 24, 2022, 03:11:18 AM
Man, Old World is getting so much praise.  Despite some critiques, overall, most folks seem to love it.  PotatoMcWhiskey makes a serious plug for the game, despite not having even having been sponsored: 

As for myself, playing the game will have to wait until Wednesday.  I spent all of today running errands and getting caught back up with everything, and I work tomorrow.  It's going to be a long 24 hours...  :silly: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #109 on: May 24, 2022, 05:53:57 AM
Thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents and a bit more then just a couple of words recommending to get the game.

Short answer - I'm glad I held off buying Humankind and waited for Old World to hit Steam. 

Long answer:

I'm really enjoying the depth this game has to offer.  I highly recommend playing the tutorials before diving into a proper game.  This game does indeed require some preparatory classes, aka the tutorials, in order to appreciate the main game.  Much like attending university to become educated enough for an advanced career, this game requires some education in order to play this advanced game.

Not recommending this game if you are a casual civ player.  I can see that Old World might not be appealing to a hard core civ'er either. 

To derive joy out of this game you must divorce yourself from all things civ and have an open mind. 

The scope of this game is limited to just the ancient and classical ages.  Because of that however the game can offer focused features and gameplay mechanics that would not work in later ages.  Old World is really impressing me for what it is but this game might not be for everyone and certainly not for a casual gamer.

‘’Man I can be such a jerk sometimes and I feel bad but check out my slam on some of the folks over at the forbidden zone.  Of course I was my cryptic self but I'm sure the dweebs that feel like they're such hot shit got it.

Edit: forgot to mention I posted something about the game "Old World" over there.’’’

You’re a duplicitous dick
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:12:25 AM by Undercovergeek »

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #110 on: May 24, 2022, 06:28:22 AM
^Oh dear.

For those playing through the tutorials, have you got to the final one (#5)?

Player is assigned to send their Greek scout to find Roman positions. My scout kept getting caught and I had to restart - rules of that specific tutorial.

Any advice?

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #111 on: May 24, 2022, 06:34:43 AM
^Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed - it was going to be cunt but I didn’t want bob to get any grief

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #112 on: May 24, 2022, 07:32:24 AM
^But you just typed it out right there.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #113 on: May 24, 2022, 07:34:40 AM
 C:-)

OK, lets not let this get out of hand, please chaps.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #114 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:30 AM
^But you just typed it out right there.

Embrace the slam  ::)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #115 on: May 24, 2022, 08:00:01 AM
Well it’s not a slam against me, I don’t think. And it was a duplicitous, I agree.

Because of that I did warn W8 in a PM that guys here still visit over there, and vice versa, when I saw the post yesterday.

I’m not trying to defend or deflect - I just don’t think W8 realized that there are still people who visit both sides.

I have probably overstepped my bounds already. W8’s a big boy, he can defend himself if he wants to.

Anyway if anyone can help with my Old World scouting issue - please - advice is welcome!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #116 on: May 24, 2022, 08:04:31 AM

OK, lets not let this get out of hand, please chaps.

what Bawb said  :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #117 on: May 24, 2022, 08:14:11 AM
Well it’s not a slam against me, I don’t think. And it was a duplicitous, I agree.

Because of that I did warn W8 in a PM that guys here still visit over there, and vice versa, when I saw the post yesterday.

I’m not trying to defend or deflect - I just don’t think W8 realized that there are still people who visit both sides.

I have probably overstepped my bounds already. W8’s a big boy, he can defend himself if he wants to.

Anyway if anyone can help with my Old World scouting issue - please - advice is welcome!

It doesn’t matter which of us can see both sides of the interwebs - it’s what one is saying when you’re  doing it

Posting some mysterious supposed hidden insult here and then going back over there and snickering about how clever you are makes you a dick whether you thought it could be seen or not

And I’m sorry I have no scouting advice Gus
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:20:47 AM by Undercovergeek »

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #118 on: May 24, 2022, 08:28:36 AM
I don’t disagree. Whether W8 comes back and defends himself or not, I dunno.

I just wanted it out there that I saw it, I addressed it (albeit privately) and said, diplomatically, ‘probably not the coolest thing you did today.’

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #119 on: May 24, 2022, 11:51:28 AM
There is nothing to defend.  I'm guilty as charged.
Now that everything is finalized and out in the open, I feel better. 

It is good to get things off your chest and talk it out with those you have disagreements with.  Now that you all know how I feel I leave it up to you to decide if you like me or not. 

Know this though, that I was deeply hurt and scarred to this day over the rift that happened.  You all did what you had to do but there was a lot of destruction that was left.  If you don't think people were hurt then the healing for both sites will never happen.  I hope my incitement now that it has been discovered can lead to working things out and healing.  We all used to be such a good family but now we're divorced.

I noticed that people who were my friends on STEAM dumped me and IT HURT!!!!!

Don't police this post.  Instead try to engage in healing.  Let's get back together so that this hatred can be put aside.  Yes I admit, I'm butt hurt and did that childishly.  Can you see why though?  Can we come home together again and be friends as it was in the old days?

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed