Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 101888 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #435 on: November 16, 2021, 09:53:04 PM
This looks like the most complete race pack they've done yet.

I wonder if this is due to the caretakers.  The developers on this new race pack didn't have to worry about including bug fixes but could concentrate fully on the new content.  Just a thought. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #436 on: November 17, 2021, 12:15:55 AM
This looks like the most complete race pack they've done yet.

I wonder if this is due to the caretakers.  The developers on this new race pack didn't have to worry about including bug fixes but could concentrate fully on the new content.  Just a thought.

That may have helped, certainly.  It's long been my understanding that the content team (for DLC) generally works separate from the folks who work on the free updates anyway, but the Custodians Initiative might have allowed the two teams to focus more tightly on their respective tasks. 

It's also clear that Moregård has to make do with fewer resources, especially manpower/personnel, than Anward did -- which only makes sense, as Stellaris' player numbers have surely dropped off over the 5 1/2 years since its release.  Note that we've only had 2 DLC each of the past two.years (Including the Aquatics pack) as opposed to 3 DLC each of the first three years.  Given the more spaced out release of content, combined with how the community has generally found the previous species packs to be a bit lacking, I suspect Moregård is trying to make sure that each DLC is a bit more substantial -- in other words, quality over quantity. 

Of course, I may just be reading way too much into all that too.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #437 on: November 17, 2021, 08:23:30 PM
Release next week confirmed!  Specifically, Monday: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-aquatics-species-pack-and-free-3-2-herbert-update-will-release-november-22nd.1498218/

The forum post also includes the major features & improvements in the accompanying 3.2 update. It looks like a fairly decent list, especially for a "smaller" patch. 

3.2 “Herbert” Update:​

Named after renowned Sci-Fi author Frank Herbert, the 3.2 Patch brings along with it many bug fixes and AI improvements as well as new features for the Humanoids Species Pack and the base game.

Pompous Purists Civic​

In our latest addition to the Humanoids Species Pack, the Pompous Purists Civic allows for a diplomatic playstyle, but for Xenophobes. The idea is based on an elven fantasy, where they are willing to negotiate with other species, but only on their own terms.

To that end, empires with the Pompous Purists Civic cannot receive diplomatic proposals, but may still send them. They will also get bonus trust growth and extra envoys.

Terraforming Improvements​

With the focus on Terraforming in the Aquatics Species Pack, the Custodian Team has been hard at work to improve the experience of terraforming as a whole.
Terraforming planets now have a chance to randomly trigger events, to add more flavor to the overall process of terraforming. These events vary in power and complexity and will only trigger the first time a planet is terraformed.

But there’s more, we’ve also done some work with the AI budgets to make the AI more likely to terraform planets to optimal planet types, and will be more likely to pick Terraforming technologies and Ascension perks under certain circumstances.

More to Explore​

We have added new anomalies for the Gas Giant, Asteroid, and uninhabitable anomaly categories. This will add more depth to some anomalies that previously only had a single outcome (for example the Gigantic Skeleton Anomaly).

We also have revisited some of the older anomaly events and added new options, to add more depth to these older anomalies.
AI Improvements​

As part of the Custodian Initiative, we have set goals for ourselves, one of which is constantly working on and improving AI empires in Stellaris. The long-term goal is to move towards having a challenging AI, while still keeping the game entertaining to players and making AI empires feel more distinctive so that all AI empires do not feel strong in the same way.

Previously, AI used to follow an economic plan based on the stage of the game they were in. For the 3.2 Update, we have updated the economic scripts used by the AI. The AI now uses a single base plan but relies more heavily on sub plans, which allow the AI to react more easily to unexpected developments throughout the game. The AI also has the ability to turn these sub plans on and off based on their economic situation, allowing them to react to unexpected resource deficits, and in our testing has lowered the frequency of AI economic collapses.

We also have gone over the Building and District weights for AI empires, which will further improve your AI opponents’ economy. Finally, AI starbase construction has been improved and will now use more varied setups when building their starbases and making use of special buildings where it makes sense.

Fleet Manager and Reinforcements​

We have addressed several issues that arose in the 3.1 update, namely that it was possible to create fleets larger than the command limit, which resulted in large amounts of single-ship fleets when attempting to reinforce those fleets. Fleets containing one ship type and one ship should now appear in the fleet manager.

Fleet reinforcements will be considerably faster after the 3.2 update in most cases. Fleet reinforcements will now make better choices when selecting shipyards to reinforce from and should better consider systems with multiple shipyards as well as systems connected by bypasses.

We also have improved the reinforcement pathfinding: reinforcements will now attempt to find a second, longer route if the shortest reinforcement route is considered unsafe. Systems with friendly and enemy fleets will no longer be considered unsafe, and ships with jump drives will no longer require a safe path for reinforcement purposes. In addition, Reinforcing fleets that fail to find a safe path to the target fleet will now merge with other fleets orbiting the same shipyard if both fleets intended to reinforce the same target fleet.

Improved Ship Browser​

Back in May, we talked about a Ship Browser Experiment, where roughly half of our players would be getting an improved ship browser, that allows viewing all of the ships in a shipset, and manipulating them so that they can be viewed from any angle.

We’re happy to announce that this experiment will be going out to all Stellaris PC players with the 3.2 “Herbert” update!

And More​

Including Performance improvements, Modding improvements, Multiplayer stability improvements, Balance changes, and over 80+ bug fixes in total.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #438 on: November 19, 2021, 12:39:41 AM
Dev Diary #233 - Aquatics & 3.2 'Herbert' Patch Notes

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-233-aquatics-3-2-herbert-patch-notes.1498294/

As usual, it's looking like a nice list of changes & improvements.  It's not as long a list as what we've seen in previous patch notes, but it's still pretty impressive considering it's only been a few months since the 3.1 update.  Besides, this bug-fix alone makes it worth getting the new update: 

* The notification shown when upgrading a defense platform now only appears when all queued upgrades are complete.

It's been driving me crazy!  ;D 

It's perhaps also worth noting that the Aquatics pack is being sold for $9.99/€9.99, the same price as one of Stellaris' story packs.  It's not a surprise, given that Aquatics contains more content than the previous species packs -- plus a lot of the content in this DLC can be used by *any* species, not just Aquatics -- but I still thought it was interesting. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #439 on: November 22, 2021, 09:43:25 AM
more pay has been received than expected, ebay sales were quite generous - ill have a scootch at the total price for all the Stellaris DLC i dont own i thought

WTF is this!!!!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #440 on: November 23, 2021, 11:42:01 PM
Posting this a day late, of course, but Aquatics is now out!  Whoot! 

(I gotta say, I'm honestly digging the sea shanty in the trailer...)  :D 

Full patch notes (including notes for the 3.2.1 release-day patch) can be found here.  I believe the crash the devs mentioned -- the one connected to non-English versions and choosing genders (during empire creation) -- has already been rectified with a new hot-fix. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #441 on: November 24, 2021, 12:53:59 AM
more pay has been received than expected, ebay sales were quite generous - ill have a scootch at the total price for all the Stellaris DLC i dont own i thought

Nice!  Did you end up grabbing the remaining DLC, then? 

WTF is this!!!!

Heh.  Yeah, that's not accurate.  Best as I can tell, this is what's been happening... 

So I typically keep Steam in Family Mode, which skews my numbers in regards to it showing when I was last online.  I *did* actually play Stellaris for a little while late Sunday night/early Monday morning, but (as you've noticed) Steam isn't reflecting that. 

That being said, I likely won't get any real gaming done this week -- I've been running around trying to get stuff done yesterday & today, and then tomorrow I head to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving (coming back Sunday night) -- do don't freak out if it shows I haven't been on since this past weekend.  :P 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #442 on: November 24, 2021, 03:49:51 AM
If you look very carefully - it says a friend does not recommend this game - YOU!!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #443 on: November 24, 2021, 03:14:00 PM
Oof, you're right.  I'm going to have to go back to that review and...edit it?  Delete it entirely?  Probably the latter -- I've changed my mind regarding most (though admittedly not all) of what I posted there.  Hmm. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #444 on: November 24, 2021, 03:14:57 PM
Oof, you're right.  I'm going to have to go back to that review and...edit it?  Delete it entirely?  Probably the latter -- I've changed my mind regarding most (though admittedly not all) of what I posted there.  Hmm.

;)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #445 on: November 24, 2021, 07:53:51 PM

(I gotta say, I'm honestly digging the sea shanty in the trailer...)  :D 

Same here

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #446 on: November 30, 2021, 06:52:11 AM
Not resting on their laurels, Dev Diary #234 talks about future plans now that the Aquatics pack has launched: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-234-aquatics-and-3-2-are-out-now-what.1499640/

Sounds like the main focus is now turning to the coming Unity rework, which is currently targeted for the 3.3 update due in February.  The devs are considering having an open beta with the new changes so that they can incorporate player feedback into the update.  If there is a beta, it will probably be launched around the end of the year/beginning of next year. 

The devs have also begun exploring the possibility of adding a new "Situations" system, which would apparently work similarly to the Disasters system in EU4.  It sounds like this would be rolled out more gradually over the course of multiple updates, however, as they don't wish to introduce too many major changes at once.. 

In terms of "buffing the backlog", the Custodians' next project is adding content to both Nemesis and Necroids.  There are no specifics yet, however, and are in fact inviting community input on ideas for what might/should be added. 

In addition, there's a ton more work planned for the AI.  (Apparently, the improvements made in the recent 3.2 update have gone over fairly well.)  I'm really happy with the effort that the Custodian team has been putting into this so far. 

The dev diary also included the transcript from the recent Q&A session.  I've posted some of the responses here (I found the bottom pair of Q&A's particularly interesting): 

Q: Pleasure Seekers and Slaver Guilds seems like an obvious thematic combination, but you are not able to combine them. What is the reason for that and any chance that will change?
A: It has a lot to do with how living standards are handled in the game currently. They are done through code and are quite rigid, we are exploring solutions to it.

Q:  With how consumer goods work now, they feel like nothing more butnan upkeept mechanism with no real value. They also kinda make amenities redundant, since they both have the same thematic function yet are separate resources. Are there plans to further divide their uses and perhaps make consumer goods more useful when in surplus?
A: I agree, and I'm not a huge fan of consumer goods. I'd love to be able to figure out a way to have repeat spending of consumer goods, to improve parts of your empire. For example, building research projects (similar to how you can spend to build ships, but that dont actually create entities like ships).

Q: did you think about buffing democracy and oligarchy to make it more equal in terms of strength when compared to their more authoritarian neighbours? Mandates are just too weak.
A: Yes the government types are quite boring right now and could do with a rework.

Q: Is there a reason Rogue Servitors aren't able to pacify Amoebas like xenophiles and pacifists can?
A: That sounds like an oversight, feel free to make a bug report about it!

Q: since we have locked Civics in the game. wouldn't it a great opportunity to add Ascension perks to them to improve on the them?
A: That and tradition trees are a good idea takes notes

Q: any ideas for spiritualists going foward?
A: With the unity rework we are working on internally it should hopefully be a lot more powerful.

Q: will gestalts ever be able to make anything else rather than a galactic union? Or is that always gonna be the case?
A: Rogue Servitors can form Hegemonies currently, and Machine Intelligences can form Research Cooperatives.
Internally we've discussed the possibility of providing other ways of opening up the other Federation types to all Empire types.

Q: What system will replace admin cap?
A: Admin Cap will be removed, and you will use Unity to upkeep for things like Edicts. You won't be able to avoid the penalty from sprawl, like it used to be. We'll have to balance the rubberbanding effects and should also add a game option for how harsh you want the penalty to be.

Q: Will the new colossus wipe out all life in the planet if fired on enemies, change the type of planet but keep the pops on there, or cant be fired on enemies?
A: The Deluge colossus will kill all non-Aquatic life on non-Oceanic planets when it terraforms the planet. It can be used on your own planets if purge is allowed. (Primitive planets can only be Deluged if you have full interference policies set.)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #447 on: December 02, 2021, 04:11:55 PM
Today's dev diary discusses the work done on the AI -- both what's been done so far, and what's planned for the future: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-235-ai-feedback-and-future-plans.1501330/

While I can't personally vouch for it yet (it's still too early in my current campaign), by pretty much all accounts, the AI in the recent 3.2 update is much improved.  It's particularly better now with regards to how it manages empires' economies, which is almost certainly the single most important factor in being/remaining competitive throughout the course of the game.  Guido (the dev who posted the diary) said there's still work to do in getting the AI to keep up better in the mid/late game, but it's something he readily acknowledge, and has plans for improving it. 

In general, this dev diary was just a really nice read, if only because it's clear the effort they're continuing to put into fixing/improving the AI.  It was also cool to see that one the coders has been active in the thread, responding to people's questions & concerns (and in most cases, acknowledging/agreeing with the issues brought up). 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #448 on: December 02, 2021, 05:35:10 PM
Too me, this is a reason to purchase DLC, even if you don't think you'll get much out of it.  It's those dollars that help finance these improvements. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #449 on: December 02, 2021, 05:36:43 PM
Too me, this is a reason to purchase DLC, even if you don't think you'll get much out of it.  It's those dollars that help finance these improvements.

:bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners