Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !  (Read 195164 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #570 on: November 15, 2021, 02:24:09 PM
glad you enjoyed it!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

SofaKings

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #571 on: November 15, 2021, 07:27:24 PM
https://columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=3421

Never exceeded in my opinion.  Often available used for much less than MSRP.
Thank you!

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #572 on: November 15, 2021, 08:12:53 PM
Finally got a chance to listen to this while working today and enjoyed all the commentary. And not gonna lie it is entertaining to hear all y'all get hot under the collar.  ;D

It would be interesting (although highly unlikely) to get someone from the CSRs to respond to some of your constructive criticisms.

Also, one of the topics that I think would make a great podcast episode was to expand on the discussion about rule books. I was intrigued by the comments that were made and wished y'all could have spent more time on it but understand that it really would need its own dedicated episode.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #573 on: November 19, 2021, 09:24:14 AM
"Not a wargame?!"  Well, maybe it is....
Robotech Reconstruction on Mentioned in Dispatches

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-10-robotech-reconstruction/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #574 on: November 26, 2021, 11:04:56 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #575 on: November 29, 2021, 01:36:42 PM
Mentioned In Dispatches – Season 7 Ep 11 – Wargaming News

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-11-wargaming-news/

You guys hit on one of my big pet peeves: Video

I appreciate video content when it's appropriate: how-to-play games, open-ended discussions about games or game subjects, or even (the dreaded) unboxing videos. (I am not a fan of unboxing videos. I want someone to give an in-depth review of a game, not drool over how beautiful the maps and counters are).

But videos are a very poor, inefficient, and ineffective way to convey simple information.

Compass's Thursday night updates are a good example. I really enjoy their designer deep-dives and discussions, but they aren't a good way to update the status of a game or something like that. And video updates are a horrible way to discuss group rules on Facebook or something like that.

GMT's monthly email is a great example of useful and well-presented information.

People can read much faster than the spoken word. People can skim through text and focus on what they need. And I assume that many people, like me, don't have large blocks of time to sit down and watch a video about something.

Unfortunately, I think that the way social media drives people to create "content," some are driven to make videos when they could just type up a few hundred words instead.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #576 on: November 29, 2021, 01:49:55 PM
(I am not a fan of unboxing videos. I want someone to give an in-depth review of a game, not drool over how beautiful the maps and counters are).

They are fairly cheap filler, for sure, and a lot of people use them that way.

That said, every once in a while, you can make a meal out of appetizers, and that's what we do 1x/month with #UnboxingDay.  We don't do it much, but be cram a lot into that one day and it is a higher-traffic day for us.  But I don't want filler like that all month long, which is why we consolidate it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #577 on: November 29, 2021, 02:20:20 PM
(I am not a fan of unboxing videos. I want someone to give an in-depth review of a game, not drool over how beautiful the maps and counters are).

They are fairly cheap filler, for sure, and a lot of people use them that way.

That said, every once in a while, you can make a meal out of appetizers, and that's what we do 1x/month with #UnboxingDay.  We don't do it much, but be cram a lot into that one day and it is a higher-traffic day for us.  But I don't want filler like that all month long, which is why we consolidate it.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with unboxing videos. But they don't scratch an itch with me. If I want to know about a game, I want to see someone intelligently and critically discuss a game's mechanics and gameplay--or maybe post a good tutorial explaining how to play a game.

It's hard to find that content out there, and sometimes I think the unboxing videos drown out the good stuff..

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #578 on: December 03, 2021, 09:20:22 AM
Mentioned In Dispatches – Season 7 Ep 12 – Wargaming Evolutions

Your favorite wargaming podcast hosts talk about where they started out in wargaming and how they got where they are today

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-12-wargaming-evolutions/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #579 on: December 03, 2021, 09:30:24 AM
Mentioned In Dispatches – Season 7 Ep 11 – Wargaming News

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-11-wargaming-news/

You guys hit on one of my big pet peeves: Video

I appreciate video content when it's appropriate: how-to-play games, open-ended discussions about games or game subjects, or even (the dreaded) unboxing videos. (I am not a fan of unboxing videos. I want someone to give an in-depth review of a game, not drool over how beautiful the maps and counters are).

But videos are a very poor, inefficient, and ineffective way to convey simple information.

Compass's Thursday night updates are a good example. I really enjoy their designer deep-dives and discussions, but they aren't a good way to update the status of a game or something like that. And video updates are a horrible way to discuss group rules on Facebook or something like that.

GMT's monthly email is a great example of useful and well-presented information.

People can read much faster than the spoken word. People can skim through text and focus on what they need. And I assume that many people, like me, don't have large blocks of time to sit down and watch a video about something.

Unfortunately, I think that the way social media drives people to create "content," some are driven to make videos when they could just type up a few hundred words instead.

In regards to gaming in general, I prefer reading over videos. Gaming "How-to" videos don't do half as much for me as the written word on how to play or tactics, be it Shadow Empire, Panzer Corps 2, Valheim, whatever I'm playing. I absorb the written word much more efficiently than video.  I'm not focusing on "Dispatches" here, just overall. But I'm not a podcast guy anyway.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #580 on: December 05, 2021, 10:57:15 AM
Mentioned In Dispatches – Season 7 Ep 12 – Wargaming Evolutions

Your favorite wargaming podcast hosts talk about where they started out in wargaming and how they got where they are today

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-7-ep-12-wargaming-evolutions/

My first wargames (and yes, I was shouting some of this at the podcast):

I think Ambush! was my first one. I bought it at the Dutch Door Hobby Shoppe at Boozer Shopping Center, in Columbia, SC. My mom would often go there for paints and for catering supplies, and I would always browse the RPG section, buying AD&D modules and Dragon magazines. Then I got Ambush!

My next few ones included:
-Air War (by TSR)--although maligned for its intricacy, to a middle schooler who would spend hours and hours alone in his room, I loved the depth and complexity of this game
-Richtofen's War
-NATO
-Midway
-D-Day
-Anzio
-Submarine
-Sixth Fleet
-Gulf Strike
-Hell's Highway
-Tactics II

Then I had a couple of RPG spillovers, including:
-AD&D Battle System
-T:2000's large-scale system in the "Pirates of the Vistula" module
-Star Frontiers' had a space-battle and campaign system

As far as computer wargames:
-First, a shout-out on the Intellivision Sea Battle game mentioned in the podcast. My friend had an Intellivision and wanted to play all kinds of action games, I just wanted to play Sea Battle and ...
-B-17 Bomber
-Then, on my Commodore 64, I had SSI's "Tigers in the Snow." I wasn't even sure what i was doing, but I loved loading it off of my cassette player
-Computer Bismarck
-B-1 Nuclear Bomber (text/DOS game)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #581 on: December 05, 2021, 11:22:15 AM
The Star Frontiers space wargame was Knight Hawks

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #582 on: December 08, 2021, 02:00:46 PM
The Star Frontiers space wargame was Knight Hawks

Thanks. I remember most of the games, but I can't always remember the names.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #583 on: December 08, 2021, 04:27:41 PM
-T:2000's large-scale system in the "Pirates of the Vistula" module

Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed that no one has ever produced a game titled, "Fistula on the Vistula"?

Just me?  Ok.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #584 on: December 08, 2021, 04:40:10 PM
You answered your own question, really.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'