Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56213 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #120 on: November 14, 2021, 01:06:29 AM
However, I did get sidetracked

How terribly unusual -- for any of us.  :silly: 

Mental reminder to myself: work on the terrain!

Terrain?  As in maps you can paint, or actual 3D terrain pieces of some sort? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #121 on: November 14, 2021, 02:07:58 PM

I've always enjoy the terrain making part of the hobby way more than painting the minis.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #122 on: November 14, 2021, 02:39:43 PM

Terrain?  As in maps you can paint, or actual 3D terrain pieces of some sort?

3D terrain for the table. Mostly some sort of fields, forests, and hills. At some point, I need to build fences and walls.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #123 on: November 14, 2021, 10:41:06 PM
Fact.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #124 on: November 15, 2021, 03:12:22 AM
Ha! 

If *you're* having this much trouble with the stuff, then I'm definitely glad I'm not trying to myself.  I would spill more than I'd use! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #126 on: November 24, 2021, 10:08:34 AM
Ha! 

If *you're* having this much trouble with the stuff, then I'm definitely glad I'm not trying to myself.  I would spill more than I'd use!

Well, one of the benefits of having a nearly empty pot of paint is there is much less to spill! :)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #127 on: November 24, 2021, 10:11:15 AM
This is definitely one thing I'm not looking forward to. I'm a klutz at heart so my own painting should be interesting. :)

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #128 on: November 26, 2021, 02:42:58 AM
Photos will come later but I finally got back around to painting the Rohan and finished the first five footmen. The green paints I used did not behave well, so I will most likely have to go back and redo some of the cloak work. It's not that they are horrible but I am not happy with the outcome. The dark green paint I used provided crap coverage. It and the base color green were very chalky like white paint.

I have also built my first 12 English men-at-arms and six longbowmen for my Lion's Rampant project. I just need to decide what I want to do in terms of basing. I am inclined to just go with fender washers. However, I am contemplating putting them on 20mm individual bases to use with Hail Ceasar or Warhammer Ancient Battles rulesets too.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #129 on: November 26, 2021, 01:19:43 PM
I just need to spend some time going through my paints. Found two more pots, both green, that are bad. One has the consistency of dyed milk with water added for good measure.  The other one has all of its pigments collected into a hard mass and separated from all the medium (think water). Neither paint is salvageable. And I confirmed my dark green is also of a very watery consistency hence the crappy coverage. Should have noticed the other night but I did not. It's what happens when I paint at midnight and zone out listening to Coast to Coast AM.

I need to decide if I want to replace with Citadel or give Army Painter a go...

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #130 on: November 26, 2021, 09:58:09 PM
Rohan footmen. These guys ended up being a pain to paint. My paints as I have said were causing me issues. They turned out good enough and I learned some valuable lessons. Next batch I am dealing with the shield features differently. I may go back and give another thinned earth shade wash. There is one with three horse heads in a circle that I hate with the fire of nine hells. I think I am going to paint each head a different color or at least a different tone of white/tan. The hair is much more straw-colored by the photo really amplified the yellow highlights.

The cloaks...good night they pissed me off. Ended up repainting and using a sage green color to recreate a weathered effect highlight. Then I used a homebrewed black-green ink wash to tie the colors together and remove the chalking effect. They look decent but ink washes do not settle in the detail as well as citadel washes do and they are a bit finicky. DO NOT mess with ink while it drys otherwise trouble this way comes.

Anywho they are ready for the table other than a flesh shade wash on the gold to dull it a bit and give it a better tone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 10:04:10 PM by Bison »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #131 on: November 26, 2021, 10:07:22 PM
They look great

As someone who paints with only washes and inks I hear you about disturbing drying ink - tear that surface and it’ll never go back again 😩

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #132 on: November 26, 2021, 10:14:22 PM
The Lion's Rampant project update. This one makes me happy after dealing with the damn Rohan cloak debacle. Ok not the face guards...they can piss a guy off as they are a very, very tiny individual piece with three points attached to the sprue so trimming off the flash is a hassle, and did I mention they are very tiny? Anyway, by the fifth or sixth knight, I got putting the mask on down.

I have another six archers, 18 men-at-arms, and a good dozen mounted knights to build for the English, and then I can deal with the French.

Note to self: buy a bottle of silver airbrush paint. Trust me. I will thank myself for it later.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 10:22:05 PM by Bison »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #133 on: November 26, 2021, 10:17:53 PM
They look great

As someone who paints with only washes and inks I hear you about disturbing drying ink - tear that surface and it’ll never go back again 😩

Yes, a disturbed ink wash can never be fixed properly short of stripping the paints. The issue I have on these particular ones is I had to go deal with a kid situation and some of it pooled in a spot I did not want it to. So it will remain and I will move on.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #134 on: November 27, 2021, 12:24:58 AM
I found by accident that the solution you use to put decals on is ‘wash tippex’ - any slip or splodge can be removed using it - I use it to clean up borders where a wash is going on and a darker wash has crossed over

Love the medieval figures - it would probably be my next project if my painting time was my own there’s some great examples on Instagram and Facebook