Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56212 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #135 on: November 27, 2021, 03:28:10 AM
Never heard of it will have to do some interweb searching.

Well...sounds to me like painting up some knights is a possible long-term side project. I like both the English and French miniatures. But I think in terms of ease of play for Lion's Rampant an earlier crusader period might have been a better option. There is a very clear distinction between full plate knights, sergeants, and the common foot. Whereas the Hundred Years War Perry miniatures are really only plated men-at-arms and then archers with their quilted and leather armor.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #136 on: November 27, 2021, 04:21:41 PM
Ok not the face guards...they can piss a guy off as they are a very, very tiny individual piece with three points attached to the sprue so trimming off the flash is a hassle, and did I mention they are very tiny? Anyway, by the fifth or sixth knight, I got putting the mask on down.

You. Put. The. Face. Guards. On. Manually.  :o  :hypnotize:

Your hand-eye coordination is much better than mine.

"Yeah, he's got the mask on the side of his head. He's very protective of his ear. Deal."

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #137 on: November 28, 2021, 12:21:23 PM

You. Put. The. Face. Guards. On. Manually.  :o  :hypnotize:

Yup. It's how Perry designed the models to increase the variety of poses across 6 same body poses. I admit it was a frustrating process the first few minis but I learn a "method" to get them in place.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #138 on: November 28, 2021, 12:27:35 PM
Painted a batch of seven Rohan over the last couple of evenings to finish up the footmen. On average, I would say each mini due to details and an increased color pallet took 1.5x - 2x longer to paint than an orc. The upside is I think I can my painting steps in the future for any additional footmen if needed. I think the cloaks ended up look pretty decent. I ended up using a heavy highlight and black-green ink to wash and put some depth to the fabric folds.

Now it's time to move on to the horsemen!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #139 on: November 28, 2021, 01:00:08 PM
Cloaks are great - you would have got that exact colour with biel tan green wash - just finished a model with same colours but it was a dress

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #140 on: November 28, 2021, 01:52:59 PM
Yeah, I need to pick up some of that wash but I had already used the inks on the other units. I might grab a bottle of the wash for the horsemen.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #141 on: November 28, 2021, 02:26:26 PM
I really like how those Rohan figures are coming out!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #142 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:23 AM
A local shop had a sale going on this weekend so I picked up some washes for the paint rack; Casandora Yellow, Beil-Tan Green, and Saraphim Sepia. More tools for the kit bag. I really need to invest in a hot wire cutter for foam board to work on terrain pieces.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #143 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:52 AM
Great washes - Cassandra is lovely - couple of extra coats and it’ll do for a good orange too

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #144 on: November 30, 2021, 12:22:52 PM
I part of me wished I had the yellow wash for Rohan's hair color. I think the shadowing effect would have been more interesting to work with rather than a diluted brown.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #145 on: November 30, 2021, 05:22:18 PM
I use cassandora for blonde

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #146 on: November 30, 2021, 09:12:09 PM
I've been using Scale 75 paints and contrasts as well as dabbling with oils lately.  When oil works well, it's awesome. When I use it, results are much less than awesome...

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #147 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:31 AM
Brave soul. I can confidently say that I have no desire to work with oil paints. Although, I suspect you can get amazing results from blending the paints.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #148 on: December 01, 2021, 10:43:05 PM
I mostly use it for weathering effects.  When it works, it looks so much better than what you can get with acrylic bases glazes and washes.  It works best on larger scale models.  I've been trying it on 1/300 scale PT boats and it's really just a sloppy mess.  Too many tiny nooks and crannies on the models that soak up the oil and it's impossible to get it back out.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #149 on: December 13, 2021, 12:55:47 AM
I have six horses painted. I like the look of the brown and beige colored horses. But I need to relook the black ones. They need a stronger highlight but I always find black a pain to highlight nicely. I tried to go with a blue hue however the washes really took the color away. So right now they are pretty meh and not much different than the black primer. I will post some photos in the next day or two.