Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: F-35 News  (Read 41016 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #90 on: May 07, 2021, 12:50:22 PM
 :face:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: May 07, 2021, 10:42:09 PM
Hmm, $13 million sounds completely reasonable for undermining some of the most central defensive systems of the United States. [/sarcasm]

Bloody balls-up, innit?

Replace "million" with "billion", and then I might agree.  What in the actual **** were they thinking?!? 

(Also, I second Barthheart's facepalm.) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #92 on: May 07, 2021, 10:48:33 PM
I'm surprised the Chi Comms don't pay the fine for them.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #93 on: May 08, 2021, 09:34:27 AM
And yet, not a peep out of television media. Go figure. I guess a Kardashian had a bowel movement that needed 24/7 coverage instead.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #94 on: May 08, 2021, 10:53:19 AM
Dammit! I missed the Kardashian-Crap Event?  :face:   Why, why, WHY?  :waah:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #95 on: May 08, 2021, 11:39:32 AM
 ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #96 on: May 09, 2021, 09:44:16 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #97 on: May 13, 2021, 03:01:36 PM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #98 on: May 13, 2021, 03:40:50 PM
it's like he was trying to stand it on its tail

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #99 on: May 13, 2021, 10:15:57 PM
Pugachev's Cobra maneuver is better preformed when there's not an aircraft carrier in the way.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #100 on: July 15, 2021, 04:30:12 PM

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #101 on: July 15, 2021, 05:15:32 PM
Ow

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #102 on: July 15, 2021, 07:22:42 PM
Just happened to run across this:

https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2019/06/the-f-35-and-the-captured-state/?fbclid=IwAR1iWUQKCAjdQwNDu4MhHgBnZyH4W8d9QZlIEB5-m_YMvxWC3Wa7lIkvz_0

I was involved in the program for 10 years from about 1997-2008 and won't try to defend it.  I have also been involved in negotiations for data rights.  Contractors usually charge a very high price for data rights, and even then, some will be withheld to protect their trade secrets.  If the government decides to pay this high price, then the government has to manage the data rights and manage the procurement of spare parts.  That's a lot of contracting and inventory, and they have to ensure that parts are made to spec.  On the other hand, they can let the contractor keep the data rights, but then the contractor has the government over a barrel when it comes time to negotiating follow-on procurements.  This latter aspect is supposed to be mitigated by fair negotiations, as the article points out.

The article mentions ALIS.  That system was very much hyped, along with PHM (prognostics health management or maintenance).  The F-35 was going to be so cheap to fly that DoD would be making a profit!  I was always very skeptical of the claims, and sure enough, they fell short, so that's not a big surprise.  It doesn't justify the current situation, but it points out that drunken hype and the momentum of from the top levels of Pentagon far outweigh sober talk from a lowly mid-level person like me.  I will point out that Congress was very much onboard with this program, so they don't have much credibility with me when they now complain.

The MC rates are low.  Again, no surprise.  I did some growth modeling of the F-22 when I worked on that program to show that the claims of the USAF and Lockheed were wildly optimistic - wildly.  MC rates will improve, but they didn't and don't meet the requirements, and that should be a big concern    But the usual course of action is for Congress and DoD to summon the Lockheed Martin executives DC, beat them up, do a program review in Fort Worth to scrub costs, the LM executives promise to leave no stone unturned to shave every single penny, and then we forget about it for a couple of years.  If I was at my previous position, I would have pointed that out as loud as possible, but again, I know from experience that it would be for naught.  I was there when the F-22 went through its production decision, and it didn't meet many (or all) of its reliability, maintainability, and availability requirements, but nobody cared - just buy the damn thing and we'll fix those problems later.  I was at some very tense meetings with USAF discussing this.

FWIW, I've seen this firsthand on Navy and Army systems too.  Note that the F-35 was birthed during the Clinton years of acquisition reform, so things like giving the contractor a lot of control -- and ultimate responsibility -- came from that era.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #103 on: July 15, 2021, 07:38:29 PM
  :sigh:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #104 on: February 18, 2023, 10:09:18 AM