Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New USMC Littoral Regiment(s?)  (Read 3924 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: January 24, 2021, 11:14:20 PM
https://news.usni.org/2021/01/20/marine-corps-to-stand-up-first-marine-littoral-regiment-in-fy-2022

The Marine Corps plans to officially form the new unit designed to execute its island-hopping strategy in the Indo-Pacific next fiscal year, according to a service spokesman.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger has laid out a vision for focusing on small maneuvering units instead of a large forcible entry force to fight a peer competitor like China in the Indo-Pacific in 2030. Part of that strategy proposes a new construct called the Marine Littoral Regiment, a concept the Marine Corps is beginning to experiment with using the 3rd Marine Regiment, to determine what the MLR might look like.

Marine Corps spokesman Maj. Josh Benson told USNI News that the service will formally stand up the first Marine Littoral Regiment in early Fiscal Year 2022.

“Over the next few years, the specifics of the MLR will begin to take shape. Experiments, wargames, modeling and simulation will play a key role in the phased approach to the MLR development. First, the formation will be built, mainly from units that already exist in Hawaii, then the capabilities flowed in,” Benson said. “The largest muscle movements between now and the standup of the MLR will be structure and manpower adjustments. While this is taking place, further refinement of associated capabilities and concept development will occur in order to ensure the first MLR is capable of contributing to the continued Force Design Phase III efforts.”

“The most important aspect of Force Design Phase III is understanding feedback from the Fleet. This holds extremely true for the MLR construct. We want to ensure we get this right,” he continued.

The Marine Corps last year began initial experimentation with the 3rd Marine Regiment in Hawaii, which will eventually transition to the MLR construct. Plans to form the MLR first came to light last March in Berger’s force design report, which summarized the first two phases of the initiative.

Benson said the Marine Corps hopes to move into experimentation with the MLR as part of the force design’s third phase “as fast as possible,” so officials can start receiving assessments from the fleet.

Early plans for the MLR suggest it will include 1,800 to 2,000 sailors and Marines, which is smaller than the 3,400 that currently make up the 3rd Marine Regiment in Hawaii. The MLR will feature a Littoral Combat Team, Littoral Logistics Battalion, and a Littoral Anti-Air Battalion, USNI News previously reported.

The idea for the MLR was born out of wargaming efforts within the Marine Corps that sought to learn what kind of construct it needed to employ concepts like Littoral Operations in a Contested Environment (LOCE) and Expeditionary Advanced Based Operations (EABO). The latter would see Marines moving between expeditionary bases on islands in the Pacific.

Marine Corps Training and Education Command commanding general Lt. Gen. Lewis Craparotta said last week at the Surface Navy Association’s annual symposium that he is working on a “tentative manual” for the EABO operating concept.

“We’re laser-focused on the Pacific. And this is where you’ll see our first Marine Littoral Regiment come online. This is where we have our forward-based fifth-[generation] aircraft in [Marine Corps Air Station] Iwakuni,” Craparotta said.

Officials have repeatedly stressed that part of the Marine Corps’ force design work is prioritizing naval integration between the Navy and the Marine Corps. With an emphasis on the Indo-Pacific, that integration has extended to the staffs of U.S. 7th Fleet and III Marine Expeditionary Force, which are cultivating a joint warfighting concept.

“The relationships again that have developed between the MEFs and the numbered fleets, the relationships that exist between our staffs really are different. And I would dare say better than they have been before, based on my experience. And I would expect that these relationships will continue,” Craparotta said last week.
“And I think between relationships, integrated concepts, capabilities that are designed to support those concepts, and the current efforts really to experiment and train together as a naval force – these combined efforts will really start to bear fruit in the next few years and will certainly enable the naval force to continue to play the vital role in the Pacific and around the globe, just as it has throughout our history.”

While plans for the MLR are not yet final, the Marine Corps’ third stage of the force design effort is meant to continue experimenting and wargaming concepts to better understand how the service would employ a new unit like the MLR.

“The MLR will be uniquely designed to maneuver and persist inside a contested maritime environment where its primary mission will be to conduct sea denial operations as part of a larger Naval Expeditionary Force,” Benson said. “The MLR being built in Hawaii over the next three years will be the first of its kind in the Marine Corps.”

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 12:43:14 AM
 I read short article in the Marine Corps Gazette from August 2020 that discusses renaming the MLR to Marine Strike Regiment, or MSR. The author, Mr. Hegmann makes a good case: The Marine Strike Regiment: Relabeling the Marine Littoral Regiment for better public understanding and unit esprit by Rich Hegmann

Whatever the name, it will be interesting to see how this develops over the course of the next 10 years or so.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:01:54 AM
If the development of the new concept is similar to the Marines effort to develop amphibious doctrine, pre WWII, it will take some years
  Probably some painful mistakes along the way.
Am curious that they distinctly mention an AAW component.
Previously, they pretty much left it in the navy's hands.  The carrier air wings were expected to control the skies.
With a smaller carrier force, they could be preparing for a Guadalcanal situation?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:09:58 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:14:17 PM
Some good stuff in those articles.   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:27:42 PM
Very interesting :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 03:06:43 PM
"Island hopping campaign?" "Expeditionary Advanced Based Operations?" Is somebody channeling Pete Ellis?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd