Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Looking for book recommendations on the Mexican-American War  (Read 2829 times)

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Note: also posting in the books subcategory.

My brother's birthday is coming up at the end of August; and while reading Churchill's volume on "The Great Democracies" (part of his history of English-speaking people, written before and during WW2), concerning the 1800s, he discovered the Mexican-American war and wanted to read more about it. Especially its connections to eventual American Civil War leaders.

I don't think I have anything on it myself -- I roughly knew about it already (including its ACW connections) -- so I'm shopping around for recommendations.

So far I'm looking at:

Eisenhower's So Far From God

Guardino's The Dead March

Baur's The Mexican War

Tucker's Encyclopedia of the Mexican-American War (this is an expensive 3 volume library set, actually more expensive on Kindle for some reason, even when it's on sale!  :o Probably not what he's after anyway, as he wants more focus on the characters and strategic/operational/tactical aspects.)

Hannings' US-Mexican War: A Complete Chronology

Henderson's Glorious Defeat: Mexico and its War with the United States (focuses more on Mexico's side for balance purposes)

and

Dugard's Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican-American War

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Oh heck yeah! The Shaaras!  :applause:

Grabbing that and their Civil War novels. Note to self, I don't think Bro has ever seen the films of Gods and Generals / Gettysburg either. (Too bad "The Last Full Measure" has never been adapted.)