Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Battle Hymn:Gettysburg & Pea Ridge  (Read 20150 times)

judgedredd

Reply #60 on: February 17, 2020, 04:57:21 AM

judgedredd

Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 12:43:14 PM
And - here we go  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 02:37:47 PM
Pickets Charge

I may have picked a complicated start scenario!

Divisions turned at an angle are non-moveable

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #63 on: March 02, 2020, 02:47:49 PM
That looks so good...someday I’ll come across a copy.

judgedredd

Reply #64 on: March 06, 2020, 06:16:19 AM
I have to say, I found combat very confusing. It was my first time - so I imagine (and I'm hoping) it gets easier

The issues I came across are...
  • Determining Engagements
    It's a little complicated and in my example above, the forces west of the Baltimore Pike are one engagement
    What that means is that the attacking side performs it's attacks and assigns hit markers (unless it's Approach Fire where the defender gets to attack free with a -3  modifier on their To Hit chance), then the defender attacks (ignoring hit markers) and assigns hit markers...then each side (starting with the defender) checks morale and assigns SP losses and demoralisations. They also have to retreat - and that in itself is a pain

Look at Cutler (I think) in 16:06...if he's forced to retreat, the unit behind him has to do a morale check first and if he fails, he gains 1 demoralisation and the unit behind HIM would also have to do a morale check...if the unit behind Cutler passes it's morale, then Cutler moves into that space temporarily (he can't stop there for good because there's no stacking) and the unit behind (for Shaler or Wainwright) has to perform a morale check etc.

Then there's advance after combat!!
  • SP Losses
    The designer has made it so that the SP counters show how many SPs the unit has left. My problem with this, is the demoralisation chits act in the opposite way - they show how many SPs cannot fire.

In my opinion, the SP counters would've been better suited to show how many SPs were lost, rather than how many were left...that way, when tallying demoralisations and SPs, you'd simply add both together and remove that value from the firing units designated SPs on it's main counter rather than ignoring the unit's designated SPs and removing the demoralisations from the SP counter under the unit - they just seem to be counter to each other. I'm not the only person to specify this
  • SPs and multiple combats
    I had a situation last night with one engagement that had something like 8 CSA units against 6 Union units. It turned into a mess. I just completely lost track of where I was...
    You have to split SPs between units. So lets say I have a CSA unit with 3 SPs and he's firing against 3 Union units. BUT - he's lost an SP so I have to check the counter below him and see he's only got 2 SPs. I then have to roll a die to determine who he's NOT attacking (he can't attack 3 units with only 2 SPs as SPs have to be split evenly between enemy units)

So he's attacking the unit in front of him and the one to the right. I'm trying to remember that he's NOT to attack the one to the left.

It's difficult to explain - it reads very easy and one of the things I was blown away with was how clear the rules were, how well laid out they were...but gawd - in practice, it's really, really difficult to see where you are in combat.

It's making me dread the full Gettysburg game because there are sooooooo many units and I'm having nightmares thinking how deep I'll have to go checking retreats and morale and demoralisations to see where a unit ends up retreating to....and then going back to the original firing unit and performing the same on the other units it attacked and are adjacent to...

It's a cracking looking game and the rules (with some typos) are excellent - but practically, with no chits to show who you are currently dealing with, it's an absolute nightmare.

Like I said, it was my first time and I hope it gets better. I've seen people mention using tile spacers to show who you are dealing with and those may help.

The SP thing for me caught me out alot last night. When I rolled for morale and had to assign a hit, I was automatically assigning an SP chit with the number 1 on it (signifying 1 hit) rather than taking 1 from the units SP value (say 5) and placing an SP counter of 4 underneath.

The other thing that caught me out - and in fact I didn't even do - was advance after combat. I had done all my morale checks for the defender and then the attacker and had forgotten who had retreated so couldn't work out who would've advanced and where...Thing is, the rules specify performing all morale checks (defender first then attacker) and then performing advance - I just can't see how you are meant to remember who can advance...

Anyway - just a couple of things to be aware of. I will of course report back if I find a better, organised way to do it or if it gets easier.

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed my wee playthrough last night. I would like to say though it made me wonder if the dice were loaded in Combat!. In Combat! a 10 sided die was used to check hits, TQs etc, etc...I was regularly rolling 1s and 2s....last night, the whole Union front shooting down at the CSA coming up didn't make a single hit. Looks like Picketts Charge may work this time (though no...probably not as I didn't perform any advance after combat!)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:56:19 AM by judgedredd »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #65 on: March 06, 2020, 02:49:58 PM
That does look extremely nice.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #66 on: March 06, 2020, 03:30:06 PM
It looks nice and it plays really well. I really could envisage lines of Union soldiers and CSA infantry attacking in lines...especially when retreating.

The idea that units behind retreating units might rout as well because a unit is fleeing through your lines is really clever. I haven't come across that before.

It just takes alot to remember where you are and what's next

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #67 on: March 06, 2020, 06:39:01 PM
That's why I always use a notebook when I play wargames.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #68 on: March 07, 2020, 12:46:07 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #69 on: March 07, 2020, 02:30:30 PM
I remember having the SPI game of the battle; it was one of the GBACW series.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #70 on: March 07, 2020, 02:55:36 PM
Oh man I thought Bob was going to recall being at the battle of pea ridge!

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #71 on: March 07, 2020, 03:15:54 PM
No, he was still in mourning after Nathaniel Lyons death at Wilson's Creek.
Those long years Manning a stockade on the prairie observing the Cheyenne can be very disappointing.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #72 on: March 07, 2020, 03:25:00 PM

I'll have to check my diary - there was a lot going on that year :-)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #73 on: March 07, 2020, 04:02:47 PM
I

I'll have to check my diary - there was a lot going on that year :-)

I’m awaiting your epic autobiography detailing so many important events lost in the mists of time. 😀

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #74 on: March 07, 2020, 04:13:46 PM
And I so would do it, but unfortunately, all the good stuff is, as you say, lost in the mists of time.

I have, however, loads of boring and mundane stuff I can regale you with  ;)