Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Saturday Night Fights" -- A Sprint Over the Blood River -- 1879  (Read 33585 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:22 PM

I think one of the challenges in terms of seeing "actual fighting" is that we'll have to pick games that are pretty much set piece battles, and then just do the standard wargamer thing of crashing groups of toy soldiers together if we're going to stream. If you want to do learning games, or games that involve more maneuver, you're going to have to record and edit them. Those things are interesting for the participants, not so interesting for people watching.

I dunno.  Three hours is three hours and, watching the Little Wars TV guys — my models as you know — all of their games have been of the sort you describe and most seem to take at least 3-4 hours.  No, there’s no easy replacement for someone with the time and talent to edit the video down if you’re hoping to catch a casual look-in.  It’s a hard dollar; my wife’ll tell you so.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 08:27:16 PM
I have huddled with “she who knows such thing and is to be obeyed” and have formulated a plan for the next one.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 10:10:43 PM

I dunno.  Three hours is three hours and, watching the Little Wars TV guys — my models as you know — all of their games have been of the sort you describe and most seem to take at least 3-4 hours.  No, there’s no easy replacement for someone with the time and talent to edit the video down if you’re hoping to catch a casual look-in.  It’s a hard dollar; my wife’ll tell you so.

Their games may be 3-4 hours, but it looks like their longest video is about 40 minutes.

I'm happy to spend three hours maneuvering to get to the point of getting a single shot off to pick off a single Zulu leader, and feel quite satisfied because I pulled off a successful cavalry scouting operation during that time.  Judging by the comments during the stream, though, people want to see piles of toy soldiers crashing into each other.  I'm not suggesting spending time and effort recording and editing, I'm suggesting people seem to want to watch games that result in immediate action and lots of casualties.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 06:48:33 AM
They want to see one of those Scourge of War games we had on with Asid's group?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 08:03:31 AM
I think there's real value in the learning of the game that's going on.  I think a few of us were a little punchy when commenting on the video.

I've got a few notes / ideas to share with Cyrano when we get a chance to chat.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 08:25:39 AM
I appreciate that training, you guys might make a board gamer out of me yet!

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:07 AM

Figuring out a way to simulcast a multiplayer SoW match would be pretty great!

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #52 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:10 AM
Meanwhile, it's entirely possible to produce and keep a full live-stream of the event, and ALSO produce an edited down version later that includes amusing comments from the sidebar. Then viewers have a choice which one to watch.  O:-)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #53 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:15 AM

Figuring out a way to simulcast a multiplayer SoW match would be pretty great!

We should do one, those were fun! Though I think Generals should be able to 'scout'!

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #54 on: January 22, 2019, 01:53:55 PM
Animadversions:

*My goal, from the beginning, was to compensate for the envy I have had at those who have their own local wargaming club.  The broadcast bit was a late addition, although in part inspired by the guys at Little Wars TV who do very good work.

*Live streams are going to be long, there's no avoiding that.  Doug's point re: picking more slobber-knockery games and scenarios is well taken.  I very much liked the "Colonial Adventures" game and would love to play more.  I may be, in part, at fault for its length, though, as, because I scaled  the troops to 54mm, I doubled the size of the board.  That may have been a poor call on my part, but I wanted to make sure everything fit.

*I am, as i said, going to have a go at a possible video AAR.  I will start simple and work from there.  Of course it's best when, again as Little Wars TV, you can have everybody talking before, during, and after, but we'll make well with do at first.

*I would LOVE an SoW game, but doing it HiTS would not make good television at all.  On the other hand, having one player responsible for zooming around the battlefield and reporting on happenings as they go -- that might work.  Note that that person need not be on the feed and therefore audible to the players.

*Frankly, I'd really love to do a bunch of JTS games -- the first "SNF" with Doug playing North Africa was an hoot -- but I've not wanted to make people buy lots of different games.  This, of course, is the advantage of TTS.  One game really does fit many.

My current plan, scheduled to change:

1.  Finish CA
2.  A stand-up scenario using the new Osprey rules "The Men Who Would Be King".  It imagines itself a streamlined "Sword and the Flame" and I think it might solve the lag problem. I am also open to playing another CA adventure -- there are more direct scenarios -- perhaps in the Sudan?
3.  Battle of the Nile (?) using "Fighting Sail".  It's an excellent system for our purposes.
4.  God as my witness, I will have by the third week the Aspern-Essling "Blucher" setup done.

I have a LOT of game ideas -- mostly vengeance for not having miniatures games I could play locally for years -- but heaven knows I'd love to have, say, a multi-player JTS "Waterloo" or the like.

*Seriously, though, thanks to everyone who's joined the club so far.  It's been great to have you by.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #55 on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
…The broadcast bit was a late addition, ...

And this leads to my reason for giving up on AARs. I want to play fun games, then think I should share my fun with others only for the fun to turn to work and then neither playing or AARing get done...  :(
Lots of on lookers asking for this and that but not actually stepping in to help , let alone play with us.

I love that fact that you have started a game "club" where we can play with our toys that normally sit on shelves and look pretty. When it starts to be work as well...
Not that I've been tasked with doing anything other than coming to play but I don't want you to burn out on this grand idea and we lose our driving force.

But that's just me....  :biggrin:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 03:08:04 PM
I would be thrilled to step in and play, but I'm watching from the concessions desk at an indoor soccer facility where I'm moonlighting on Saturday nights and not able to dedicate the time to playing.  I can watch b/c that doesn't require constant attention.  But I can't play, because that does.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #57 on: January 22, 2019, 03:20:17 PM
…The broadcast bit was a late addition, ...

And this leads to my reason for giving up on AARs. I want to play fun games, then think I should share my fun with others only for the fun to turn to work and then neither playing or AARing get done...  :(
Lots of on lookers asking for this and that but not actually stepping in to help , let alone play with us.

I love that fact that you have started a game "club" where we can play with our toys that normally sit on shelves and look pretty. When it starts to be work as well...
Not that I've been tasked with doing anything other than coming to play but I don't want you to burn out on this grand idea and we lose our driving force.

But that's just me....  :biggrin:

I agree with Barth.. These streams shouldn't turn into 'work' for you.  We appreciate the work you do just to 'host' the game. If people don't want to 'watch', then maybe they should join the game instead?
Maybe have a blurb in the beginning to join the web site in order to get into future matches if they want. Or can you have a 'link' on screen that would do that.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 03:30:55 PM
I would be thrilled to step in and play, but I'm watching from the concessions desk at an indoor soccer facility where I'm moonlighting on Saturday nights and not able to dedicate the time to playing.  I can watch b/c that doesn't require constant attention.  But I can't play, because that does.

Brant, my comment was not leveled at you..... buuuuuut maybe you could help by making a shorted edited version and thus off loading that from Jim... can't be much different than editing a pod cast can it? (He says knowing nothing about editing anything...  :whistle: )

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:17 PM

Brant, my comment was not leveled at you..... buuuuuut maybe you could help by making a shorted edited version and thus off loading that from Jim... can't be much different than editing a pod cast can it? (He says knowing nothing about editing anything...  :whistle: )

The hard part there I think (due to my rookie experience with my few IL2 flicks) is that the file from a 3 and 1/2 hour Stream would be Humongous!!!..