Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Rampant Miniatures Wargame Rules  (Read 5146 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: October 31, 2019, 02:44:36 PM
Anyone have table time with Lions Rampant or Rebels and Patriots? I've been researching some rulesets and I keep coming back to these two as contenders for my next miniatures project.

I have watched a number of youtube videos and like the simplicity of the game play. Look like a good introduction to historical miniatures for my kids. Simple rules and fewer units to maneuver.

I like that the figure count is not too high but how do the rules hold up with a larger number of forces. Do they scale well for larger battles?

What are some other rule sets that scale well from skirmish to larger battles?

I've given more than a passing thought of going Bacchus 6mm and building a couple of armies for Hail Caesar or Black Powder (specifically the Glory Hallelujah or Rebellion supplemental rules).

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 03:02:17 PM
So no one plays Osprey miniature rules? Weird. This confirms my sneaking suspicion y'all do only play Agricola and Thurn and Taxis.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:16:09 PM
Anyone have table time with Lions Rampant or Rebels and Patriots? I've been researching some rulesets and I keep coming back to these two as contenders for my next miniatures project.

I think Cyrano has some experience w/ Rebels & Patriots, but not sure if anyone here is using Lions Rampant for anything.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 03:20:53 PM
I thought I'd read in thread or heard on a podcast Cyrano talking about Rebels and Patriots.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:26:24 PM
So no one plays Osprey miniature rules? Weird. This confirms my sneaking suspicion y'all do only play Agricola and Thurn and Taxis.

My group plays Lion Rampant. I may have the rules (I bought one of the Osprey rule books, honestly can't remember which one). It's okay for what it is (simple, fast playing) but I can't say I enjoy it all that much.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 03:29:17 PM
I've got two Osprey games (Undaunted: Normandy and Gaslands).  Can't say I care for either.  Too simplistic and reliant on dice chucking/card drawing for my tastes.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:31:34 PM
I've got two Osprey games (Undaunted: Normandy and Gaslands).  Can't say I care for either.  Too simplistic and reliant on dice chucking/card drawing for my tastes.

Exactly how I feel about them. I'll play them because the group is, but they're not something I'd pick on my own.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 03:49:35 PM
I guess the question is really about their accessibility for new miniatures gamers. I've been looking at several other rules sets like Sharpe's Practice for example.

What I'm ultimately looking for is accessibility and lower initial miniatures counts. I could see painting 80 or so table good enough miniatures to play initially and then adding to the armies for larger battles or build different armies for more variety.

One thing I've been researching is basing. Ideally the basing is easily transferable between different systems. 28mm is fine. Individual base and then use movement tray for frontage. 15mm and smaller I'd like to stay with the DBX type concept for basing keep the armies on a uniform 20mm or 40mm frontage. Lots of options but man its a bit of hassle.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
The rules are accessible and you don't need a ton of figs to get going. I didn't pay much attention to the basing because I wasn't planning to buy any minis, but the rules are designed to be flexible.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 05:26:06 PM
We have been looking at this, since its compatible with the mini's made by local company, 'Northumbrian Tin Soldiers'

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/osprey-games/other-wargames/burrows-badgers

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 12:36:00 PM
We have been looking at this, since its compatible with the mini's made by local company, 'Northumbrian Tin Soldiers'

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/osprey-games/other-wargames/burrows-badgers

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/

Reminds me of the collection of miniatures my daughters and I have to paint for Mouse Guard.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 02:36:43 PM
NTS make some really nice figures.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'