Author Topic: SPQR - Beventum  (Read 1151 times)

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 08:04:51 AM
Rallying is based on the commander's initiative rating who is attempting it, so in this regard Pyrrhus is a better commander (he has easier rolls to make).  The Phalanxes are really hard to break from the front, they almost require being flanked from what I've seen so far.  Which makes sense, but its one of those things where sometimes its not obvious how a game will handle things until you mash some units into each other lol.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 09:41:07 AM
The Romans have refused their Left flank, making it impractical for Pyrrhus' cavalry to push with any success in that area.  In the center, 2 Phalanxes broke, but through another miracle Pyrrhus was able to rally them and locally counterattack to restore the line.  Out of reserves now though, and with the Romans pushing on Pyrrhus' left things are looking shaky.. almost every unit of what sort of makes up Pyrrhus' 2nd line is depleted, having been routed at one point already.

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 11:03:05 AM
Now that looks messy  and beyond control at this point   8)

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 05:22:04 AM
Haha yeah, the battle is basically running itself at this point.

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 10:02:18 AM
Pyyrhus' Left collapsed at the opening of the following turn, so called this one a Roman win. Realized I've been playing a couple things incorrectly from a re-read of the rules, to be expected with a system of this complexity. I don't think it would've impacted this battle too much, but will certainly play the next scenario much closer to fully correct with the rules. Lot of bits of nuance with this one.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 02:24:07 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling the Romans were going to take this one after the previous turn.  Once they stopped your attack on their left flank, I figured that was probably it.  Good battle, though.  :) 

Lot of bits of nuance with this one.

For good or bad? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 05:24:55 AM
Hmm I'd say it's good. The system itself is great, I didn't have this much trouble at all with Hoplite. Some of my trouble is definitely because I am so unfamiliar with this period.  But I do think it's worth struggling through the rules for this game.