Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199692 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #240 on: November 23, 2019, 08:42:56 AM
Agreed. My statement is true. I love reading these historical tidbits and learning things I did not know.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #241 on: November 23, 2019, 11:23:48 AM
Like the fact pugs HATE bow ties? Unless they're eating them out of a spaghetti bowl.  :go-on:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #242 on: November 30, 2019, 12:05:03 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #243 on: November 30, 2019, 12:14:37 PM
..8.5 ib?

meteorite?

.....and she was only bruised?

...I wonder where it hit her? (please, don't say Alabama).

maybe she was well padded at the impact point.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #244 on: November 30, 2019, 09:03:25 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #245 on: November 30, 2019, 10:37:34 PM
The League of Nations later declared the attack illegal and expelled the #USSR from the organization.

and they've been giving zero fucks ever since

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #246 on: December 01, 2019, 12:07:12 PM
Puget Sound Navy Museum
· Yesterday ·

On this day in 1942, USS New Orleans (CA 32) was hit by a torpedo off Guadalcanal. Her entire bow was torn away.

The ship struggled to stay afloat, and limped back to Guadalcanal for temporary repairs. The fix included a bow fashioned of palm tree logs. After stopping in Sydney, Australia for further repairs, New Orleans made her way to Bremerton. Because of her condition, she had to make the journey while sailing backwards.

By the time she arrived in Bremerton, a new bow had already been built for her using plans from her sister ship, USS Astoria. When New Orleans arrived at the shipyard, it was discovered that the new bow was out of line by just one-eighth of an inch. Soon USS New Orleans was able to return to the fleet.

This photo was taken at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, between the removal of her temporary bow and the installation of the new one.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #247 on: December 01, 2019, 01:28:05 PM
Yikes!

And yet, somehow the idea of a ship named after New Orleans limping home backwards after an insane bender and a makeshift wardrobe seems horribly appropriate

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #248 on: December 03, 2019, 09:37:58 PM
Yikes!

And yet, somehow the idea of a ship named after New Orleans limping home backwards after an insane bender and a makeshift wardrobe seems horribly appropriate

;D

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #249 on: December 03, 2019, 11:01:07 PM
After which she was renamed, U.S.S. Stubby.  :hehe:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #250 on: December 07, 2019, 09:23:23 PM
78 years ago today...

Back aboard Enterprise, Admiral Halsey had just poured himself a second cup of coffee when his aide dashed into the cabin. “Admiral, there’s an air raid on Pearl!” Halsey’s first thought was that the Army, which had been scheduled to conduct a readiness exercise the week before, was taking things too far. He leapt to his feet, telling his aide to radio Kimmel that the Army was “shooting down my own boys!” A second aide entered with a message direct from Admiral Kimmel: “AIR RAID PEARL HARBOR X THIS IS NO DRILL.”

Officer of the Deck Lieutenant John Dorsett ordered General Quarters. 19-year old Seaman Jim Barnill, one of Enterprise’s four buglers, sounded the staccato notes of “Boots and Saddles.” Twenty-eight year old First Class Bosun’s Mate, Max Lee, played his pipe over the 1MC then called “General Quarters! General Quarters! All hands man your battle stations!” Lee’s enlistment was almost up. After the war, he remembered that he then turned to OOD Dorsett and said “We’re at war and I’ll never get out of the Navy alive.”

Dick Best remembered coming onto the flight deck shortly after general quarters had been called and looking up at the island. “The first thing I saw was the biggest American flag I had ever seen, flying from the masthead and whipping in the wind. It was the most emotional sight of the war for me.”

(Excerpt from: "I Will Run Wild: the Pacific War From Pearl Harbor to Midway" - coming next spring by Thomas Cleaver)

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #251 on: December 08, 2019, 02:19:28 AM
Great stuff as usual, bes.  Keep it coming!  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #252 on: December 08, 2019, 07:43:08 AM
Adjutant General Order #72 abolishes the daily whiskey ration of one gill (four ounces) for the US army, 1832.  Coffee and sugar are to substitute for it.
In 1829, the army bought 72,537 gallons of whiskey.

https://www.rstreet.org/2017/11/17/the-military-and-whiskeys-250-year-old-relationship/

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #253 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:02 PM
For those who are interested in the early Pacific War, Thomas Cleaver (author of Pacific Thunder) is doing a daily posting on Facebook.
Each day, he is recounting what happened on the same date in 1941.
Here is a tidbit on Wake Island

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.cleaver.710/posts/2560583280839564

These will come from his soon to be published, "I will run wild", Pearl Harbor to Midway.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #254 on: December 09, 2019, 10:01:43 AM
Nice find  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'