Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200298 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #315 on: January 28, 2020, 09:34:35 AM
Agreed!  :notworthy:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #316 on: January 28, 2020, 01:33:24 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #317 on: January 28, 2020, 07:06:36 PM
 :bigthumb:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #318 on: January 28, 2020, 10:37:06 PM
(OK, this was yesterday in history)

Character and Courage—Here’s a story from 75 years ago today that you likely haven't heard before. It led to this man being the first and only American soldier to be declared “Righteous Among the Nations.” This title is the highest honor Israel confers on non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust.
US Army Master Sergeant Roddie Edmonds, 422nd Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division, was captured by Nazi forces at the onset of the Battle of the Bulge. A native of Knoxville, TN, Edmonds was 25 years old. He had only been on the front line for five days when his unit was overrun.

Edmonds' captors sent him east to a holding camp before they eventually transferred him to Stalag IX-A, just east of Bonn, Germany. The camp was designated solely for enlisted personnel. As the senior noncommissioned officer at the camp, Edmonds found himself responsible for 1,275 American POWs.

On January 27, 1945, the first day for the prisoners at Stalag IX-A, the Nazi commandant ordered Edmonds to assemble all the Jewish-American soldiers so they could be separated from the other prisoners. Instead, Edmonds assembled all 1,275 American POWs.

Furious, the German commandant rushed up to Edmonds, placed a pistol against Edmonds' head and demanded that he identify the Jewish soldiers within the ranks.

Edmonds, a Baptist, responded, "We are all Jews here."

Edmonds then warned the commandant that if he wanted to shoot the Jews, he'd have to shoot everyone, and that if he harmed any of Edmonds' men, the commandant would be prosecuted for war crimes when the Nazis lost. Edmonds then recited that the Geneva Conventions required POWs to give only their name, rank, and serial number, NOT their religion.

The commandant backed down.

Edmonds' actions are credited with saving up to 200 Jewish-American soldiers from likely execution. He survived 100 days of captivity, and returned home after the war, but kept the event at the POW camp to himself. He served again in Korea.

It was only after Edmonds’ death in 1985 and the review of his diaries by his son that his story came to light. Jewish-American POWs, including NBC television executive Sonny Fox, verified the story as did other POWs who were glad to share. The State of Israel declared Edmonds “Righteous Among the Nations” in 2015.

Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. As we pause to remember the 6 million Jews and 11 million others murdered at the hand of their Nazi captors, we also commend our Veterans who helped bring the Nazi tyranny to an end. Master Sergeant Edmonds and the 1,275 American soldiers who stood defiantly with him were a part of that story. It is because of men of character and courage like Master Sergeant Edmonds that we live in the free world we do today.

Photo courtesy of Yad Vashem: World Holocaust Center, Jerusalem, Israel #WeRemember

Reading that brought tears to my eyes.  Gods bless him. 

https://twitter.com/URDailyHistory/status/1222225577832255489

Excellent.  8) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #319 on: January 29, 2020, 01:26:57 AM
Lego!!! Damn I spent years building crap from my mind.

Of course it went all "dumbed down" and took the imagination away by selling sets that actually made stuff...sod the creativity.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #320 on: January 29, 2020, 08:58:17 AM
Victor Mature, born this day in 1913.

Victor Mature, a rising young actor in the early 1940s, answered his Uncle Sam’s call during World War II, and then went back to work, becoming a perennial star in numerous “sword and sandal” epics well into the 1950s. One of these was Demetrius and the Gladiators

Though set in Rome in the mid-First Century, the film was made in California. One day, Mature practicing his gladiatorial routine for long hours in the arena, under a hot sun. Finally, the director called it a day.

Mature immediately did what any right-thinking gladiator would himself have done under similar circumstances. Without bothering to doff his gladiatorial togs, he jumped into his car and drove over to the nearest bar in search of a cold one. Needless to say, walking into the establishment while still wearing his cape, cuirass, and greaves, to plop down onto a barstool caused a bit of stir. After several minutes of being gawked at by the stunned bartender, Mature finally piped up, "Whasamatter? Don't you serve servicemen here?"

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #321 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:17 AM
1897         Theodore Roosevelt gives cousin Franklin, Mahan's "The Influence of Sea Power Upon History" for his 15th birthday
1898         Theodore Roosevelt gives cousin Franklin, Mahan's "The Interest of America in Sea Power" for his 16th birthday

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #322 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:30 PM
And for the 17th, he gave him an Armored Cruiser.  :biggrin:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #323 on: January 30, 2020, 01:15:28 PM

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #324 on: January 30, 2020, 01:53:29 PM
Daaaaaaaamn. 90. Wow.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #325 on: January 30, 2020, 02:05:59 PM
We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #326 on: January 30, 2020, 03:34:03 PM
Loved him as the bad guy in Unforgiven. And so many more. Happy BD Gene.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #327 on: January 30, 2020, 04:00:08 PM
Popeye Doyle for sure.  The Polish general in A Bridge Too Far was good.  I actually enjoyed Heist. I thought he was miscast as Lex Luthor, but still enjoyable

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #328 on: January 30, 2020, 04:03:41 PM
I thought he was miscast as Lex Luthor, but still enjoyable

He's no Jesse Eisenberg

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #329 on: January 30, 2020, 04:08:52 PM