Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199795 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #585 on: September 08, 2020, 07:39:26 PM
As you can see, my copy of the game has been on many voyages. I had a lot of fun playing this game. I haven't played it in ages, mainly because I'm interested in other aspects of gaming; however, I am very glad Star Trek came along, not only to give us the television programs, books and films, but because it also provided us with a lot of great games.  :v

Looks like you had the second or third edition. I was lucky enough to be gifted the original edition way back when. I still have it and several expansions that came after. I also have some of the Nexus magazines that went with it.

I'm not sure. I checked and there is no edition number or copyright date on the rule book. The only date I found was on the back of the box, which is 1979. I purchased it in the early 80s. Maybe 81, or 82? I can't remember. That's brilliant you have an original edition. That was a great gift.  :bigthumb:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #586 on: September 09, 2020, 02:07:40 PM
One this day in 1513 King James IV of Scotland died at the battle of Flodden. This was a battle I had heard about, but never took the time to investigate. I know much more about James VI of Scotland than I know about James IV and from what I can gather after a wee bit of research, James IV was a good king and leader, who might have been very influential in history if he hadn't died 507 years ago.

Source: cc-by-sa/2.0 - © Russel Wills

What I learned while reading about this battle:

The bill hook, or hooked bill as I also saw it described, gave the English an advantage over the Scottish spearmen. I also learned the Scottish artillery was superior to the English and unfortunately for the Scots, poorly placed, so it didn't effectively contribute to the battle.

I found two interesting videos about the battle. The first is a good account of the battle. I never heard of Baz Battles before and it seems like a good discovery. It is only 10 minutes of your time and worth watching.

The second is a television program from 2002 called Two Men in a Trench. Two archaeologists go to different places to investigate historical events. One episode is about the battle of Flodden. In the program they explain this is the first dig for this battle site. I was surprised to learn it had not been part of a past excavation before then.

I looked for a game and I didn't find anything. I discovered someone used the advanced Armati rule set for this battle and I'm guessing other miniature rules would work well. I am a bit surprised there wasn't a board game, especially of the print and play variety. Anyone know if a game for this battle exists?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #587 on: September 09, 2020, 02:10:41 PM
Interesting. I need to check those videos out.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #588 on: September 09, 2020, 03:57:48 PM
I watched the Baz Battles video. It was really well done and I enjoyed it (I will probably spend more time on that channel than I should). Thanks for making me aware of the channel and the Battle of Flodden!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #589 on: September 09, 2020, 04:02:01 PM
I've been subscribed to Baz Battles for a few years now; they do good work.  Not sure I've watched their video on Flodden, however (although I know of the battle), so I'll definitely have to check it out! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #590 on: September 09, 2020, 04:35:51 PM
CWC Oman's Art of War in the Sixteenth Century has a very good account of the battle, and of the campaign.
According to one chronicler, the English army had to fight a battle.  They were running out of beer.
Lord Protector Somerset knew the army would start disintegrating when the militia had to rely on water!

I know Oman's two volume Art of War in the Middle Ages is online at Google books.  The Sixteenth Century might be as well.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #591 on: September 12, 2020, 01:06:37 PM
CWC Oman's Art of War in the Sixteenth Century has a very good account of the battle, and of the campaign.
According to one chronicler, the English army had to fight a battle.  They were running out of beer.
Lord Protector Somerset knew the army would start disintegrating when the militia had to rely on water!

I know Oman's two volume Art of War in the Middle Ages is online at Google books.  The Sixteenth Century might be as well.

I can only image how worried the Earl of Surrey must have been when he realized the beer supply was running low. Tony and Neil from Two Men in a Trench also comment on how beer would have been the common drink as it wasn't safe to drink the water.

Thank you for recommending Oman's Art of War in the Sixteenth Century. In the US it is still under copyright protection, (looks like it was published in 1937) so full-text isn't available at Google Books. I've added it to my growing pile of titles to be read. Oman's book about the Middle Ages was published in 1885, so it is in the public domain. I've added that one to my list too.  :)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #592 on: September 12, 2020, 05:55:10 PM
Mike, if you do find a copy of Esposito and Eating, it is a great read...

Personally, the earlier editions by Franklin. And Prager, with the full size maps, are a lot more satisfying.

Well, I found one for about as much as a high dollar wargame would cost but I bought it anyway. It's the first edition so I don't feel too bad. Can't wait to get it!

Wow, Mike, you don't mess around! I purchased my copy 20+ years ago. It took some time to track down a copy that was in decent shape and one that didn't have pencil or pen markings in it. I think you will be very satisfied with your purchase. I turn to it frequently for the maps alone, even though the information contained in it is very useful too.

So this arrived today. An absolutely incredible looking book. It is the hardback original and in very good shape. The cover is a bit rough but the inside is very nice.

And a picture of a map that relates to my current My Own Worst Enemy battle:  8)

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #593 on: September 12, 2020, 06:12:44 PM
That looks great, Mike  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #594 on: September 12, 2020, 07:29:50 PM
Wow, that arrived quickly. Excellent!  :2thumbs:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #595 on: September 12, 2020, 07:39:40 PM
Indeed. Now be more careful about what books you mention.  :D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #596 on: September 13, 2020, 09:42:19 AM
Just one comment..  in the back are thumbnail bios of many generals.  Mostly very good, concise notes.  Remember this came out long before the massive interest in the era grew.  So most of the generals were practically u known.
Some of them are wryly hilarious.  Be sure to read Wellington and Marshal Brune.
His epitaph, "Died sneering at his assassin's marksmanship" would fit all dragoon s.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #597 on: September 21, 2020, 10:37:35 AM
On this day in 1866, Herbert George Well's was born.

Source: Wikimedia Commons 

He is most famous for his writing. We at the Armchair Dragoons also know him as a wargamer. His book Floor Games and Little Wars stirred the imagination and entertained more than a few with their toy soldiers.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #598 on: September 21, 2020, 10:52:59 AM
Wait, wait...  according to Warehouse 13 he was just a 'front' for all of his sister's great ideas!

You mean that wasn't a documentary series?!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #599 on: September 21, 2020, 04:04:27 PM
Wait, wait...  according to Warehouse 13 he was just a 'front' for all of his sister's great ideas!

And she bore a most striking resemblance to Jaime Murray...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa