Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 177949 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #210 on: June 30, 2019, 11:01:25 PM
I do play them occasionally.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #211 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:11 PM
Me too. Mostly I just look at them and day dream.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #212 on: June 30, 2019, 11:15:19 PM
Made progress clipping At Any Cost

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #213 on: July 03, 2019, 12:54:21 PM

:bigthumb:

Me too. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Okay, okay, yes, I'm a game whore. More of a game charlatan as I've had no time to give any of them attention, lately.

I realized I have no games covering the North African campaign, but now I do.

Going to finally get some games to the table this weekend. With everything going on I totally forgot about Friday being a workday, but my boss fortunately let me put in for a vacation day so I'm good.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #214 on: July 03, 2019, 01:32:01 PM
I’ve painted several minis over the last couple of days. A handful of Kobolds for the new campaign. A gnome sorcerer for the daughter to use but I practiced a new technique to paint white. White is a pain in the ass to paint with decent shading. A vampire and finished some older minis that had been sitting around needing a few final details touched up.

The plan is to break out the air brush and black prime a couple of 15mm armies for DBA. Most likely the Roman and Carthaginians to do some Punic War battles.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #215 on: July 03, 2019, 01:41:44 PM
The plan is to break out the air brush and black prime a couple of 15mm armies for DBA. Most likely the Roman and Carthaginians to do some Punic War battles.

:rockon:

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #216 on: July 03, 2019, 01:54:43 PM
It’ll be interesting painting 15mm less detail but going for a good 3’ look. A new process for me. Plus painting some elephant and horse units will be an interesting challenge.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #217 on: July 03, 2019, 01:58:53 PM
It’ll be interesting painting 15mm less detail but going for a good 3’ look. A new process for me. Plus painting some elephant and horse units will be an interesting challenge.

Yeah, don't get carried away with too much detail on the 15s. Even if someone picks up a stand and gives it a close look, most of us don't see so good anymore.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #218 on: July 03, 2019, 02:17:26 PM
If I don’t wear my reading glasses, the level of detail decreases dramatically. At that point it’s just colors and shapes!😬

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #219 on: July 03, 2019, 03:40:35 PM
Hmm...I might have to rectify a mini option in my Roman army eventually. I have some ancient British to replicate an axillary formation but I think there are better options. Time to check out the Essex website.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #220 on: July 03, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
Unfortunately, my eye's don't let me paint anymore, unless its a door.but, I always found that 15mm (and, back in the day, I painted a LOT of 15mm figures) that its the best scale that you can add enough detail to make 'em look good, but you don't have to put in as much work as you do for something like 28mm figs. OK, I know that sounds obvious..........I also painted a mass of WH40K stuff, and whilst you can be a bit skimpy with the rank-and-file, you tend to put a lot of work into the 'personality' figures. I think that 15mm is a good balance scale-wise, and its easy to fit on reasonable size tables and generally looks good without too much hard work.

The last stuff I painted in 15mm was an ACW Union Division - 3 Brigades each of 4 regiments, plus some arty, a couple of cav regiments, supply wagons and a Reb brigade to supplement my buddies Confederate army. The figs were from a mixtures of manufactures to add plenty of variety, but a large proportion were by Old Glory, a company that are based not far from where I live.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #221 on: July 03, 2019, 04:06:37 PM
The gnome I just painted was essentially 15mm. Sure it had details...sort of but at that scale you need a single hair brush an optometrist tools to see and paint them.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #222 on: July 03, 2019, 04:08:05 PM
,,yeah, but only for the eyeballs............

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #223 on: July 03, 2019, 04:16:32 PM
I don’t even paint eyes on my 28 mm. Most of the eyes I’ve seen and I’ve painted looked tacky. A little dark shading and three feet away at the gaming table and the faces look great.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #224 on: July 03, 2019, 04:17:29 PM
I don’t even paint eyes on my 28 mm. Most of the eyes I’ve seen and I’ve painted looked tacky. A little dark shading and three feet away at the gaming table and the faves look great.

that's the way to go