Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 178979 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #225 on: July 03, 2019, 04:19:44 PM
I still have my Dwarf Bloodbowl team here somewhere; they may well be the last thing I ever painted. They not only have eyeballs, but fingernails as well! Not sure if my digicam can get decent clear closeups, but I'll try and if they come out, post 'em here.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #226 on: July 03, 2019, 04:25:10 PM
Finger nails! Bob your the man. I don’t think I have the patience for that sort of detail. I slap some skinnish color on the hands do a bit of shading and highlighting.  I’m trying to worry less about details and more about cranking out the quantity of decent table ready minis.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #227 on: July 03, 2019, 04:33:12 PM
I honestly used to put in much more detail than I needed to, the reason being that I found that I enjoyed the painting as much as I enjoyed the gaming, and being able to produce some well detailed figures gave me a lot of satisfaction.

Eventually, I had to sell all my 40K stuff, and the collector who brought the whole lot said that he classed some of the figures as being painted to 'Professional. standard, which really gave my ego a boost. I actually miss being able to paint, as it really is relaxing and quite therapeutic. I really like using acrylic paints and inks and got some good results once you master the techniques.

Then you look at the stuff in White Dwarf mag and realise just how poor your painting is compared to real professionals!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:38:01 PM by bob48 »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #228 on: July 03, 2019, 04:35:44 PM
I love the painting part of it too. Some figures get loved more with detail than others. Ultimately I have a pile of metal and plastic and rules that are useless without the minis. So that drives my decisions a lot too about details and where I focus.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #229 on: July 03, 2019, 04:42:01 PM
We had a firm rule in the little group of buddies i played with, that you were not allowed to play with figures that were unpainted. I was going to add that we still have a rule that we cannot play with un-clipped counters, but for one thing it would just upset Vance, and for another thing it wouldn't be true :-)

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #230 on: July 03, 2019, 04:44:24 PM
I envy those who enjoy painting. I never could enjoy it. I'm too much of a perfectionist to not paint things to a level beyond what the game needs, and too impatient to paint an entire army that way. I always felt like the painting was getting between me and the game.

That drove me to 2mm...which I've proceeded to over paint and therefore never finish...

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #231 on: July 03, 2019, 04:45:20 PM
I envy those who enjoy painting. I never could enjoy it. I'm too much of a perfectionist to not paint things to a level beyond what the game needs, and too impatient to paint an entire army that way. I always felt like the painting was getting between me and the game.

my brother...

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #232 on: July 03, 2019, 04:48:04 PM

my brother...

I am SO tempted to buy a bunch of 6mm and send them all off to Sri Lanka for painting.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #233 on: July 03, 2019, 04:48:41 PM

That drove me to 2mm...which I've proceeded to over paint and therefore never finish...

I kept meaning to ask what became of that 2mm stuff - it looked very promising from what I saw of it.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #234 on: July 03, 2019, 04:53:12 PM

I kept meaning to ask what became of that 2mm stuff - it looked very promising from what I saw of it.

It is. I just need to get my head around being okay with the minimal painting style I see others doing. I also really need to figure out a better place to set up a permanent painting station.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #235 on: July 03, 2019, 04:54:44 PM
With good lighting!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #236 on: July 03, 2019, 04:56:13 PM
I paint in the dark makes worrying about the details less stressful. 😁

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #237 on: July 03, 2019, 04:57:19 PM
LOL  Bison - do you draft your MtG decks that way?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #238 on: July 03, 2019, 04:58:25 PM
Usually but I also wear sun glasses. Speaking of which I’m going to the M2020 release this weekend.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #239 on: July 03, 2019, 05:00:10 PM
Excellent = I'll be interested to hear about that in due course. So, you could come back with a few additions to the collection..........