Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 177889 times)

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #480 on: July 02, 2020, 09:10:51 PM
How about a combo of American Megafauna, Agricola, and ASL Starter Kit#3?

You can defend your crops from rampaging mastodons with your Panzer II.

Dude, put that on Kickstarter and you'll have half a mil by the end of the weekend!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #481 on: July 02, 2020, 09:15:03 PM
That's sad because it's true.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

GriffinTwoSix

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #482 on: July 07, 2020, 09:42:49 AM
4th of July just wouldn't feel right if I hadn't watched Gettysburg for the 5000th time.  Freshly pumped up, I decided to setup and have another go at Last Chance for Victory.  I ran a game of this over quarantine that got deep into the 2nd day before I called it.  That was my first game of it though and I was playing particularly slow, lots of rulebook browsing. Since then I've played the entire 2nd day's scenario, and also Early's Washington campaign of the same LoB series and got through both in just a couple days. So, I'm hopeful that this won't have to consume table space for longer than a week or two. 

My first play of this was loosely 'historical'. What I'm really itching to do this time is swing Ewell's Corps back around behind the town on either the night of the 1st, or morning of the 2nd (have to see how the commands/orders go), and form him on Hill's right flank where you would normally see 1st Corps lined up at.  Then, see how an attack on the Union left looks with some depth behind it. Last game Ewell took an absolute beating while trying to drive 11th Corps from their position north of the town, so I'll need him to do better this time if he's going to be of significant help on the 2nd day.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #483 on: July 07, 2020, 01:49:15 PM
Let us know how it goes

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

judgedredd

Reply #484 on: July 08, 2020, 03:31:24 AM
I've figured out why this scenario seemed boring. I couldn't put my finger on it - but there's a few things...
  • Chit System
    Looks good and something I do like - however the cits for the US are almost useless...they get a "free" activation first in each turn - and as the units are stacked with a leader (and why wouldn't they be - even if not stacked with but have the leader close by - point is the activation chits for the US are pretty much redundant because on your free activation you activate the leader and therefore the two rifle units
  • Size of map and movement
    This one is on me - I saw the size of the map and the fact you could double time for 9 hexes...but realising that a path doesn't negate a slope cost means movement is very slow. Go off the path and you're in 4 movement points going up/down hill and into a jungle hex - and there's alot of jungle here.
  • Troop Quality Check
    The Troop Quality Check is not used for Broken or Suppressed units. A broken unit simply uses it's activation to move to shaken and a shaken unit uses it's activation to become unsuppressed. I'm just used to performing a quality check before removing markers that disrupt units - and being able to use a leader to enhance the chance of being undisrupted - which brings me on to my next point
  • Leaders
    Ok - this one is a personal preference.
    Leaders lend no bonus to much of anything - specifically attack, defence and troop quality. Moving away from these has been somewhat of an eye opener to me

Just thought I'd list the things as I played the first scenario (which actually turned out to be fun - I ended up backtracking and using the paths to try and circumvent the NVA I encountered - after a quick couple of assaults with limited results - which seemed pretty realistic.

I realise 3 of the 4 things listed above are personal preferences and come from my experience of other games I've played.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #485 on: July 10, 2020, 03:47:47 PM
More GCACW, the dance of cavalry units as one attempts to screen and the other tries to delay Franklin's Corps

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #486 on: July 10, 2020, 04:58:54 PM
More GCACW, the dance of cavalry units as one attempts to screen and the other tries to delay Franklin's Corps

Such a great system.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #487 on: July 10, 2020, 05:04:34 PM
At a great Compass price.  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #488 on: July 10, 2020, 06:21:10 PM

If you mean GCACW it's at an even better MMP price!

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #489 on: July 10, 2020, 08:12:51 PM
I did mean MPP. I have Compass on my mind because Commands & Colors Tricorne arrived.  8) And, well, their prices too.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #490 on: July 10, 2020, 08:48:03 PM
Compass does a live video every week and the one they did yesterday stated they go with U.S.-based producers, which is why their prices are higher. Wish I could remember more of that, but I've had a few jello shots tonight.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #491 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:23 PM
Compass' pricing is okay. To me, the disparity comes with the overall quality of game components at the price level. Compass is behind GMT quality-wise imho.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #492 on: July 10, 2020, 09:34:48 PM
Compass' pricing is okay. To me, the disparity comes with the overall quality of game components at the price level. Compass is behind GMT quality-wise imho.

Pricing hurts!  I've got Stellar Horizons coming next Monday or Tuesday.  It's the most expensive board game I've bought by a fair margin (miniatures based games are another matter....as are the evil FFG games with a million and one expansions.)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #493 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:59 PM

Pricing hurts!  I've got Stellar Horizons coming next Monday or Tuesday.  It's the most expensive board game I've bought by a fair margin (miniatures based games are another matter....as are the evil FFG games with a million and one expansions.)

FFG's model/pricing is ridiculous. The MSRPs for Compass are on the higher side. I've bought several games at their convention when everything in stock is 50% off. I can handle that discount.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #494 on: July 10, 2020, 09:44:28 PM

If you mean GCACW it's at an even better MMP price!

Yeah Roads to Gettysburg II was a steep price but there was alot of content in that box!