Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 173606 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #495 on: July 10, 2020, 09:56:44 PM
Yeah  FFG's pricing/expansion scheme is nuts but I still threw a tonne of money at them.  I do have to say that  they do have the best quality components by far.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #496 on: July 10, 2020, 10:01:46 PM
Yeah  FFG's pricing/expansion scheme is nuts but I still threw a tonne of money at them.  I do have to say that  they do have the best quality components by far.

The games look great and I have been close to buying several times. The cost is what keeps me away.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

judgedredd

Reply #497 on: July 11, 2020, 02:05:08 PM
I'm going back to this bad boy.

[/url]

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #498 on: July 11, 2020, 02:40:43 PM
I'm going back to this bad boy.

[/url]

Is that the solitaire one? I would love to hear some thoughts on it.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #499 on: July 11, 2020, 03:10:32 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #500 on: July 11, 2020, 03:20:50 PM
 :hehe:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #501 on: July 11, 2020, 04:46:52 PM
Eric (Celtic) and I attempted Gloomhaven with just two players (his lil brother wouldn't join us  :( ). We lost (but gained some XP anyways).

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #502 on: July 11, 2020, 05:50:38 PM
 :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #503 on: July 11, 2020, 06:19:02 PM

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=1629.0

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/feature/combat-early-impressions-of-the-game/

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/feature/compass-games-combat-first-look/

Thanks Brant.

tent - in a  nutshell,  it's expensive but an absolute gem. It's not just totally solitaire but superbly solitaire too. The solitaire game mechanics are the best I've come across - though I am no prolific boardgamer (with maybe only 20 titles to my name). The components are superb though I would've loved a mounted map.

I will say £135 for a boardgame was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of. But given what I was looking for (a solitaire, tactical game with single man counters), it hit the nail on the head.

I was very, very wary about spending that amount of money on a board game but I had absolutely no regrets at all. And I'm super happy to get back to it.

Price to content is a question every board gamer has to answer - and I was dubious - but totally won over with this one.

If you've got any specific questions about it, I'd be more than happy to try and answer them for you. This game needs promoting - if not only just to try and put people's minds at ease that for £135 they're getting a good product.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #504 on: July 11, 2020, 10:33:14 PM

Thanks, I'm new around here.  ::) What is this mystical place that holds these articles on relevant subjects?  :P :whistle:

Thanks Brant.

tent - in a  nutshell,  it's expensive but an absolute gem. It's not just totally solitaire but superbly solitaire too. The solitaire game mechanics are the best I've come across - though I am no prolific boardgamer (with maybe only 20 titles to my name). The components are superb though I would've loved a mounted map.

I will say £135 for a boardgame was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of. But given what I was looking for (a solitaire, tactical game with single man counters), it hit the nail on the head.

I was very, very wary about spending that amount of money on a board game but I had absolutely no regrets at all. And I'm super happy to get back to it.

Price to content is a question every board gamer has to answer - and I was dubious - but totally won over with this one.

If you've got any specific questions about it, I'd be more than happy to try and answer them for you. This game needs promoting - if not only just to try and put people's minds at ease that for £135 they're getting a good product.

Thanks! Obviously the price is a big hangup but it sounds like a game that would be right up my alley.

A few questions:
 To your knowledge how well has Compass dealt with the Errata, player aid errors, rules questions etc?
 How much replayability is in the game?
 Does it have any kind of "campaign" system where you follow your men from engagement to engagement?

judgedredd

Reply #505 on: July 12, 2020, 03:53:31 AM
The game was exactly what I was looking for. A modern, single man counter, solitaire, small squad game. I put off because of the price but the more I looked around and realised this was likely my only option for that game I was looking for, I gave up and parted with the money.

Rules and Errata
As far as I know there's "living" rules on the Compass website (last I looked anyway). Errata seemed up to date and the designer was present and very active on BGG. I had no problem finding answers to my questions or if there wasn't one there, a reply was quick.

I haven't been back to BGG to check on these rules - but I was going through the rule book yesterday just to refresh my memory and I was very surprised at how everything came flooding back. I think I was ready to play in an hour - and I hadn't been at the game in several months and I've absorbed several other game systems in that time.

Replayability
It seems to be superb to me. The order card pull system, the initiative system, the dummy counters, the WIA card system all looks like it would provide plenty variation even if you played the same scenario over and over.

Campaign System
No. Currently there isn't. I haven't even thought about whether I could implement such a thing.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #506 on: July 12, 2020, 08:15:49 AM
If there's ever a Pacific version I'm in.  :bigthumb:

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #507 on: July 12, 2020, 08:32:11 AM
The game was exactly what I was looking for. A modern, single man counter, solitaire, small squad game. I put off because of the price but the more I looked around and realised this was likely my only option for that game I was looking for, I gave up and parted with the money.

Rules and Errata
As far as I know there's "living" rules on the Compass website (last I looked anyway). Errata seemed up to date and the designer was present and very active on BGG. I had no problem finding answers to my questions or if there wasn't one there, a reply was quick.

I haven't been back to BGG to check on these rules - but I was going through the rule book yesterday just to refresh my memory and I was very surprised at how everything came flooding back. I think I was ready to play in an hour - and I hadn't been at the game in several months and I've absorbed several other game systems in that time.

Replayability
It seems to be superb to me. The order card pull system, the initiative system, the dummy counters, the WIA card system all looks like it would provide plenty variation even if you played the same scenario over and over.

Campaign System
No. Currently there isn't. I haven't even thought about whether I could implement such a thing.

Thanks for the answers!  The temptation of this game is strong....

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #508 on: July 12, 2020, 01:48:07 PM

That’s being play tested now....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #509 on: July 12, 2020, 02:13:16 PM

That’s being play tested now....

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy