Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Pile of Shame  (Read 6154 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
on: April 10, 2022, 12:57:43 PM
This is about 1/4 of the unpainted or partially painted tanks in my 'to do' queue and about 1/50th of the total number of unpainted stuff i need to tackle.  I was slowly plugging away at these until I got distracted by the Speedpaints.

I buy crappy little bags of plastic toys like dinosaurs, cowboys, etc from the dollar store and prime them in order to test out new techniques and ideas.  All I've been doing for the last few weeks is painting gorillas and Triceratopses

How shameful is your pile of shame?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:13:28 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 02:24:40 PM
I am not judging the pile. Mine is too big and only going to get bigger. I have several base sets to paint but want to finish the middle earth and  then focus on some smaller scale stuff either ACW epic scale or perhaps Flames of War.

However, why are you painting a tank teal?

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 02:51:42 PM
I can neither confirm or deny that a pile of shame exists ....   :censored:

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 04:30:51 PM

I'm going to dirty it up with some scratches, dust, and rust and darken it with some oil washes but it's based on a short lived Brit camo scheme.

I guess they hired a bunch of flouncey public school artistes to design camo and they got a little carried away with desert skylines and sunsets and whatnot.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 06:02:01 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 04:57:46 PM
I have 10 mechs to paint from Battletech starter kit and the armored combat box. I am actually looking forward to painting them but I need to prime them first. This is my biggest challenge right now. Getting the pile of models through the airbrush booth and primed…and not starting multiple projects at the same time.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 05:00:03 PM

I'm going to dirty it up with some scratches, dust, and rust and darken it with some oil washes but it's based on a short lived Brit camo scheme.

I guess they hired a bunch of flounce public school artistes to design camo and they got a little carried away with desert skylines and sunsets and whatnot.

Good night! That’s hideous and clearly intended to get whoever was in it conveniently disposed of…😳

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 06:01:29 PM
You should see the ones that were painted in Mountbatten pink to look like the skyline at sunrise/sunset.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 06:35:36 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 06:03:48 PM
The SAS Land Rovers were know as the 'Pink Panthers'

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 06:09:43 PM
Interesting. I wonder with the destroyed vehicle ratio is compared to tan/green color schemes.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 07:36:26 PM
I have a box of WH40K epic stuff from the early 90s that's still sitting around unpainted

Most of my piles of minis are about 10 to 12 years old and are all the pre-painted mage knight, d&d minis, or A&A collectible minis most of which I picked up either free or cheap at conventions

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 08:09:21 PM
I always wondered why some bolt action guys had pink desert land rovers

My own pile of shame is now 1 model that I have 4 buyers waiting for on eBay

I have 20 to do for a customer

And maybe a 90% complete 40k dreadnought that just needs weathering and decals - decals I threw away in the move 😫

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 01:41:16 PM
Decals? Pah! hand paint 'em, boy...............let the artistry flow.........

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 02:12:04 PM
I buy crappy little bags of plastic toys like dinosaurs, cowboys, etc from the dollar store and prime them in order to test out new techniques and ideas.  All I've been doing for the last few weeks is painting gorillas and Triceratopses

Did you expect this to go by without a demand for pictures of your gorillas and triceratopses?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 02:15:08 PM
You should see the ones that were painted in Mountbatten pink to look like the skyline at sunrise/sunset.

Well, that's certainly how to not get your vehicles borrowed from the maintenance yard.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 02:52:36 PM

Did you expect this to go by without a demand for pictures of your gorillas and triceratopses?

There's not much to see.  I have been testing different Speedpaints on them as well as trying out different primers and highlights.  Right now, I tested to see if the Sppedpaints would reactivate if you re-primed the mini and then push a varnish coat over it to protect it.  Sadly, they do still react.  I re-primed the giraffe and the tiger, applied a white ink zenethal  highlight to them with an airbrush, and then varnished them.  They did fine with the re-priming and the zenethal highlight but the colour started leaking through with the varnish.  I then tried applying a wash over the varnish and that pulled out even more colour.