Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 205499 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #765 on: May 29, 2023, 09:55:49 AM
In 1265, Dante Aligheri, peripatic poet, cavalryman, Traveller, and lover of Beatrice, died.

In 1899, Iosip Dzugashvilli was expelled from the Tblisi seminary for missing his exams.  The wayward youth later changed his name to Josif Steel/Stalin.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #766 on: May 30, 2023, 07:26:33 PM
On this day in 248 emperor Philip the Arabian celebrates the Ludi Saeculares celebrating the 1,000th anniversary of the founding of Rome.
The Ludi Saeculares festival is never observed again.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #767 on: June 01, 2023, 10:21:25 AM
1813, USS Chesapeake is taken by HMS Shannon at the mouth of Boston harbor.
This was a little n audacious effort by Captain James Lawrence but ineptly done.  The Chesapeake had a crew that was untested and not yare, having been shut in Boston by the British blockade.
Both captains wanted a fight.  Captain Broke had drilled Shannon to be a crack vessel and a premier gunnery crew.  He even had early gunsights attached to his cannon at his own expense.
Captain Lawrence seems to have suffered from PTSD.  He never got over the British ship, Dread naught a 100 gun ship of the line, impressing crew from his own little gunboat during the Barbary war.
Brooding over this insult, he did well in the War of 1812, but came to believe he should be captain of the Constitution.  That was a plum post, but he was still rather junior, and his judgement somewhat erratic.
This slight seems to have bothered him deeply.  To think he could take A crack frigate with his green crew seems like magical thinking.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #768 on: June 03, 2023, 12:47:13 PM
1898, the US navy attempts to block the harbor of Santiago, Cuba with the collier Merrimac.  This would block the exit of Admiral Cervera's cruisers.
While passing under the guns of the fortress, the rudder was shot away and the Merrimac could not position herself to fill the channel.  The entire crew was able to get away with no casualties.
Lt Hobson gathered his men on some floating debris through the night.  In the morning, they were all picked up by admiral Cervera's personal cutter, the admiral himself pulling men out of the water.  He then sent a message to the American fleet that the entire crew had been rescued with no one hurt.  He promised to send them back the next day "after they had rested."
True to his word, they were transported under a flag of truce.  However, one sailor had a massive bandage covering his head.  Thinking the Spaniards had abused the sailors angered the ship.
However, it turned out the sailor had been drinking hard at a fete that the Spanish gave for the gallant crew.  Losing his balance, he fell onto a table Injuring himself.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:51:46 PM by besilarius »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #769 on: June 03, 2023, 01:17:08 PM
1898, the US navy attempts to block the harbor of Santiago, Cuba with the collier Merrimac.  This would block the exit of Admiral Cervera's cruisers.
While passing under the guns of the fortress, the rudder was shot away and the Merrimac could not position herself to fill the channel.  The entire crew was able to get away with no casualties.
Lt Hobson gathered his men on some floating debris through the night.  In the morning, they were all picked up by admiral Cervera's personal cutter, the admiral himself pulling men out of the water.  He then sent a message to the American fleet that the entire crew had been rescued with no one hurt.  He promised to send them back the next day "after they had rested."
True to his word, they were transported under a flag of truce.  However, one sailor had a massive bandage covering his head.  Thinking the Spaniards had abused the sailors angered the ship.
However, it turned out the sailor had been drinking hard at a fete that the Spanish gave for the gallant crew.  Losing his balance, he fell onto a table Injuring himself.

We probably should have been doing this all along- a recommended game to go along with "This Day in History":

A Splendid Little War: The 1898 Santiago Campaign

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #770 on: June 04, 2023, 08:49:27 AM
In 1942, PBY pilot Howard "Juni" Ady sights the Japanese Kido Butai West-Northwest of Midway at 0530.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #771 on: June 04, 2023, 09:03:36 AM
In 1942, PBY pilot Howard "Juni" Ady sights the Japanese Kido Butai West-Northwest of Midway at 0530.

Solitaire only, but really fun: Carrier Battle: Philippine Sea

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #772 on: June 05, 2023, 04:53:22 PM
On this day in 1943, it would have been my dad's 23rd Birthday. According to him, and verified by his army records, he was serving with one of the brigades of 5th Infantry Division, 8th Army, and entered Rome on this day.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #773 on: June 05, 2023, 06:16:25 PM
On this day in 1943, it would have been my dad's 23rd Birthday. According to him, and verified by his army records, he was serving with one of the brigades of 5th Infantry Division, 8th Army, and entered Rome on this day.

Hmm, not sure what game(s) to pair that with. Would Salerno '43 or the upcoming Assault Sicily 43 work? Maybe 8th Army?

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #774 on: June 06, 2023, 07:15:57 AM
He took part in the landings in Sicily and Italy, and was at Anzio.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #775 on: June 06, 2023, 10:12:47 AM
1944. D-Day.

It's a bit surprising that with all the German defences, only one major warship was sunk, the USS Corry.
Besides giving good gunfire support to the landing force, her other claim to fame is rarely mentioned.
During an upkeep in Boston navy yard, she was tied up next to a cruiser.  A working party noticed a crate on the pier.  It was clearly marked for the cruiser and also labeled "Ice Cream Machine."
In the best naval tradition of cutting out valuable treasures, that night the crew painted over the cruisers name and stencilled on the Corry.  Next day, yard workers craned it onto the destroyer.

(a these machines could work with real dairy, but after a few days at sea, used a powder mix to create it de cream.  Connoisseurs hated the stuff, but like powdered milk, was better than doing without.)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #776 on: June 06, 2023, 10:24:09 AM
Happy D-Day to everyone and Happy Bob's Dad Birthday!   :party:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #777 on: June 06, 2023, 10:26:23 AM
1944. D-Day.

It's a bit surprising that with all the German defences, only one major warship was sunk, the USS Corry.
Besides giving good gunfire support to the landing force, her other claim to fame is rarely mentioned.
During an upkeep in Boston navy yard, she was tied up next to a cruiser.  A working party noticed a crate on the pier.  It was clearly marked for the cruiser and also labeled "Ice Cream Machine."
In the best naval tradition of cutting out valuable treasures, that night the crew painted over the cruisers name and stencilled on the Corry.  Next day, yard workers craned it onto the destroyer.

(a these machines could work with real dairy, but after a few days at sea, used a powder mix to create it de cream.  Connoisseurs hated the stuff, but like powdered milk, was better than doing without.)

Too many D-Day games to list!  :D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #778 on: June 06, 2023, 10:36:39 AM
Yeah, there are a few.

I remember playing SPI's monster 'Atlantic Wall' and Avalon Hill's 'The Longest day' both of which are large games. Lots of other games on the subject, as Mike quite rightly says.

My own favourite games are GMT's excellent 'Normandy '44' and 'Liberty Roads' by Hexasim.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:50:52 AM by bob48 »

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #779 on: June 08, 2023, 09:28:36 AM
In 66 AD, Jewish zealots storm the fortress Antonia in Jerusalem.  This begins the Great Revolt.