Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Gloomhaven on the PC  (Read 8949 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: December 31, 2019, 02:45:09 PM
Just picked this up before the Steam sale ends.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:41:36 AM
What do you think so far?

My daughter and I only managed to get one mission in to the board game, and admittedly I wasn't very impressed with my character choice (Cragheart). Thinking of starting it over at some point solo with a Brute and a Spellweaver or Brute and Scoundrel.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:59:22 AM
Whilst I like the mechanics, and general gameplay, and in the full knowledge that it is still in early access, I do have a couple of issues with it.

One is that so far, in all my games, I only get the new forest area no matter which of the 3 available directions I choose. The problem here is that the forests are very cluttered with scenery and its not always easy to see the hexes and judge ranges. They are also very dark and not easy to see whats in there. I should add that other people have been complaining about the same issue, so hopefully something will be done in a future fix.

I did a 'thumbs down' review and had a quick, if unhelpful, reply from a dev to the effect that they were 'sorry that the new forest area did not meet my expectations, but they would take my comments into consideration'. Now, that does not really address my complaint since I did not have any expectations about the forest as such.

The other thing is that even and the 'normal' level, it is, for me anyway, far too difficult. I understand the mechanics, but even after 20-30 tries I cannot even finish one single dungeon. usually, by the time you get to the 3rd room, you have almost run out of resources (cards) and open the last door to find 4-6 new enemies.

I accept that I'm not the greatest player in the world,  and I may be missing something, but I definitely think that it needs and easier level, especially for the first encounters. I would be interested to know how this experience compares with the board game.

I do like the fact that they say that prior to full release, they will be including all the other elements that feature in the board game, such as the reaming mercenary characters. So far there are six with another eleven to come plus a bunch of other stuff.

So, as of now, I'm a little disappointed, but still hopeful that future fixes / content will improve the game. I certainly think it has the potential to be excellent.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 08:02:25 AM
I figured as much. At least the dev answered you, and apparently quickly - that's always a good sign.

One thing about the board game that's awesome is how you can ramp difficulty. Enemies drop coin tokens that are worth a certain amount of gold, based on the difficulty. The higher the difficulty the more the risk but the greater the rewards. It suggests, in the solo version, to ramp up the difficulty by one level at least since as the solo player, you have exact info on what all your controlled characters are doing; the board game suggests when playing multi-player to NOT share info as to what you're doing other than generalities, which is an interesting aspect.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
Interesting.

Yep, when you kill an enemy, they drop gold. At present, its 2 gold each, and I have come across the occasional treasure box. Also, at present,  you only have 2 characters in your party, although it seems that you unlock more further into the game.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:17 AM
In the board game, the characters you unlock later are based on your personal quest - it's a card you draw. You draw two of them and then choose one. I had drawn two and didn't like the choices so I drew two more. When it's complete, you retire your character, and then the card merely says to open the box with the whatever symbol it displays. No other info, which I really like.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:54:09 AM
Still playing this, Bob? Any changes for the better/worse?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:06:00 AM
I stopped after playing it for a few hours as there were obviously issues. They have since released an update which addresses at least one of the problems, and they are releasing more updates / patches. I think it will be a really good game if and when they sort out the bugs.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:09:44 AM
Good, glad they're still polishing it at least. I'll find some games I haven't played in years because of issues end up having dozens of patches, so when I try it again it's vastly improved...I tend to forget games I have on Steam, lol.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:27:50 AM
I stopped after playing it for a few hours as there were obviously issues. They have since released an update which addresses at least one of the problems, and they are releasing more updates / patches. I think it will be a really good game if and when they sort out the bugs.

Much agreed.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:44:01 AM
I think it will be a really good game if and when they sort out the bugs.

CTRL-C
CTRL-V

literally every digital game in the history of ever  :hehe:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:52:25 AM
It is the way.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:51 AM
I gather from what i read that it follows the board game pretty well. Also, although at present there are only 6 playable characters to choose from, that eventually, all  those in the board game (17?) will be made available as updates.

I purchased the game in sale in its (obviously) pre-release version as by doing so, I will automatically get all future updates that will be included in the higher priced final release version..

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 09:03:55 AM
The board game is awesome. Going to play it again today. We've finally cracked open the Forgotten Circles expansion. And I can't wait to back Frosthaven next month.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:06 AM
Its certainly much different from anything I've ever played before. So far, I have managed to get one 'team' of two characters up to level 3, but that's about it. I really need to get back into it.