Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: COMBAT!  (Read 32579 times)

judgedredd

on: October 17, 2019, 04:20:58 AM
I've just had an email from Second Chance Games informing me of their upcoming releases and a game called Combat! by Compass Games was in there.

I was intrigued so had a look and it's individual soldier level play and totally solitaire - right up my alley. Unfortunately £135 is out of my price range for a board game  :(

It did make me think though...what other solitaire, individual soldier games are out there? I know of Ambush! and ASL...Ambush! is a bit on the "bare essentials" side for me - I want my games to look good as well as be fun to play and ASL is too complicated for my wee, auld heed.

Note
I've just read that ASL is squad based anyway....hence Advanced SQUAD Leader  :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:17:00 AM by judgedredd »

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:27:26 AM
DVG's Warfighter series and LnL's Solo Tactical come to mind immediately.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:44:38 AM
LnL Tactical is not single man but squad based like ASL.

I can't think of any "modern" games. Cityfight by SPI and Firepower by AH were both single man counters. Ambush series is the only WWII SMC games I can think of.

DVG Warfighter Series (Modern, WWII, WWII Pacific, Shadow Wars, PMC so far) is a good one but card based not hex and counter. Matters to some.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:54 AM
City Fight was hard work,

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:56 AM
Never played it.

Oh, just thought of a modern game (2017) - Urban Operations by NUTS! games out of France. Modern combat with blocks.

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 09:11:59 AM
DVG's Warfighter series and LnL's Solo Tactical come to mind immediately.

As he says

DVG Warfighter Series (Modern, WWII, WWII Pacific, Shadow Wars, PMC so far) is a good one but card based not hex and counter. Matters to some.
That does matter. I like Warfighter - but I'm thinking specifically within the parameters of the game Combat!...i.e. single man,  counter and hex based. The reason I'd like a modern one is graphics. I've heard great things about Ambush!, but graphically, I don't know that I could buy into it.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:03 AM
Never played it.

Oh, just thought of a modern game (2017) - Urban Operations by NUTS! games out of France. Modern combat with blocks.
Blocks - meh  ;D

Thanks though.

I guess currently my options are
  • Find £135 from somewhere
  • Go back to the dark ages and pick up a copy of Ambush!
  • Fire up me some Warfighter and see if it scratches my itch
  • Stay with my many versions of squad games - of which I have a big favourite - Combat Command

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:50 AM
Both Ambush and Sniper were excellent multiplayer games - Sniper with a GM is awesome considering its a really old SPI game. The graphics are certainly poor by today's standards, but the gameplay was very tense indeed.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 09:17:51 AM
Yeah, Combat! is singing its Siren Song to me as well.  :dreamer:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:57:29 AM
A good question, though. I went to the Solitaire Wargames forum on FB and asked the same question. They tend to come up with a lot of stuff that I've not considered.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 10:10:40 AM
Try looking at Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames. But maybe that's too minis-oriented? It does have individual man and vehicle combat and has solo rules. I've not played it but it was recommended.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:13 AM
Try looking at Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames. But maybe that's too minis-oriented? It does have individual man and vehicle combat and has solo rules. I've not played it but it was recommended.

This can actually be played with minis, designed for it actually, but can also be played with counters on a hex map. I have a copy but haven't gotten it tot he table... yet... :doh:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 10:28:30 AM
Never played it.

Blocks - meh  ;D

Thanks though.

I guess currently my options are
  • Find £135 from somewhere
  • Go back to the dark ages and pick up a copy of Ambush!
  • Fire up me some Warfighter and see if it scratches my itch
  • Stay with my many versions of squad games - of which I have a big favourite - Combat Command

Ambush is a really great game. Look on BGG there are counter mods that you could use.
It can be found for a reasonable price too.

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:05 AM
Nah...thanks though. Chits and hexes...that's me  ;)

I did look at ASL (as I brought it up) and started looking for an ASL Starter Kit - then thought better of it  :)

judgedredd

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 10:30:42 AM

This can actually be played with minis, designed for it actually, but can also be played with counters on a hex map. I have a copy but haven't gotten it tot he table... yet... :doh:
I'm not doing PnP if that's what the hex/counter game mode is. I've done that and I wasn't overly happy with the final product if I'm honest (my doing I know).