Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200055 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #645 on: October 05, 2020, 09:42:13 AM
On this date in 1877, the Nez Perce War ended.

Source: National Archives Catalog

While looking for information about the Nez Perce war I came across this great paragraph in the 2nd edition of the International Encyclopedia of Social Sciences. The author is Stephen A. Germic and this paragraph is from page 504:

The Nez Perce fought a brilliant running battle, complete with narrow escapes and decisive victories, against U.S. forces for several months and over 1,700 miles. In October 1877, after the Battle of the Bearpaw Mountains, they were finally surrounded and forced to surrender, a day’s march short of refuge in Canada. Joseph was the only principal Nez Perce leader to survive the hostilities, so the surrender agreement fell to him, and he responded with one of the most powerful examples of American Indian oration that we have on reliable record. The oration famously concludes: “Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever” (Howard 1978, p. 330). The sun stood at 2:20 P.M. on October 5, 1877.

The book Mr. Germic quotes is: Saga of Chief Joseph by Helen A. Howard published by University of Nebraska Press in 1978.

I didn't think I would find a game about this and I am happy to discover I was wrong.

I Will Fight No More... Forever (1979) This game was republished, (and it appears to have been updated), in Paper Wars issue 82, from Compass Games.

Before I started searching for games to link to historical events, along with posting some of the show notes for Mentioned in Dispatches, I had never heard of Simulations Canada. They seem like a very interesting company and Stephen Newberg is an eclectic designer with at least 46 tiles to his name.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #646 on: October 05, 2020, 09:51:01 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #647 on: October 05, 2020, 11:27:25 AM
Chief Joseph was the, "Red Napoleon". A term now probably considered racist. The Nez  Perce were also one of the first tribes to relate favorably with the U.S. As I recall they helped Lewis & Clark along their journey west.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #648 on: November 12, 2020, 08:55:46 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #649 on: November 15, 2020, 06:59:42 PM
navweaps.com/index_lundgren/Naval_Battle_of_Guadalcanal.pdf

The PT boats from Tulagi were told that Japanese ships were. Coming. Down the slot, but not told american heavy units were coming.  They found Washington and South Dakota, which looked very different than Japanese. 
Admiral Lee heard their chatter.
"This is Ching Chong China Lee, do you know who I am?"
The boats answered yes.
"Well, get out of the way and watch the show.  We're going in."
The PT boats anchored in shallow water and watched the fireworks munching fruit turnovers.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #650 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:25 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mississinewa_(AO-59)

USS Mississinewa, AO59, is destroyed outside of Ulithi still by a Japanese kaiten.
The kaiten was a manned torpedo, somewhat similar to the Italian Mailae.
One of the few successes, the oiler's fire, explosion, and sinking had a very sobering effect on the ships that witnesso it.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #651 on: December 07, 2020, 09:44:19 AM
https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/ArlingtonHistoricalSociety/photos/pcb.

Hope this link works.  A photo of an army machine gun set up to cover Memorial Bridge in DC on 7 December, 1941.
People went to the Japanese embassy to protest, and they could see smoke from the rear of the grounds as the staff burned documents.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #652 on: December 08, 2020, 01:18:55 PM
https://digital-commons.usnwc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https%3A%2F%2F

Had no idea that the sighting of Kido Butai had been investigated.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #653 on: December 08, 2020, 09:03:25 PM
besilarius, this is what I'm getting when I click on that link: 

ERROR: This is an invalid URL. Please reenter the URL, or if you clicked a link in an email message to get here, make sure the link was not split across two lines.

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #654 on: December 09, 2020, 08:57:15 AM
Sorry the link doesn't work.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #655 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:16 AM
Today in history -

In 1781, British naval forces led by Brigadier General Benedict Arnold captured and burned Richmond, VA.

In 1914, Ford Motor Co. raised basic wages from $2.40 for a nine-hour day to $5 for an eight-hour day.

In 1933, construction began on the Golden Gate Bridge.

In 2005, the dwarf planet Eris was discovered.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #656 on: January 26, 2021, 11:17:36 PM
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/01/26/on-this-day-in-1945-audie-murphy-climbed-a-burning-tank-and-schwacked-nazis-with-a-50-cal/

Years later, Audie was driving down Sunset Blvd in Hollywood.
There was a fender bender with a pair of body builders.  They started to pop ush the short guy around.
A bystander later told the police that Audie "exploded" into them.
The cops were quicly on the scene.  They found one body builder out cold, with a.
 Broken arm.
Audie was kneeling on the other one shoulders, pounding his head into the pavement.
They arrested him, he was the only one standing, and wondered how "that little shrimp" could take those two buff guys.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #657 on: January 27, 2021, 02:45:06 AM
I never get over just what a badass he truly was.  :applause: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #658 on: January 27, 2021, 09:27:01 AM
Absolutely.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #659 on: January 27, 2021, 12:09:31 PM
I heard that story, also one about John Wayne being certain that little guy couldn't possibly Audie Murphy the first time he saw him.  I remember not too long ago telling my Son-In-Law and Step Daughter about him when we saw him in an old western movie. They were shocked and asked, "Why don't they do a movie about him"?  :doh:    Good question, or maybe a book as well.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming