Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 5261 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: August 16, 2023, 09:34:56 PM
I'm...kind of on the fence.

I've had nine hours of play since I bought it this past weekend (daughter pressure, it's her fault, lol). I've played the first two BG games but was going to wait for this one to go on sale. I decided that treat yo'self was the way to go this week.

I started initially with a Human Fighter. The world looks good, the interactions are good, the voice acting is fantastic, and the writing seems to hold up pretty well. The encounters are not scalable, though, meaning if you take a wrong turn you're going to be sorry when you land in a cloud of Goblins or a bunch of giant spiders. I tried on the middle difficulty level and combat can be a pain and unforgiving. So, one needs to save OFTEN, especially as the bloody game loves to put you through checks (Perception, Intimidation, etc.) and when you roll the ol' d20, that damned d20 loves to come up 1 or 2 short each and every time. Saving often helps mitigate this to an extent. One time I had to reload a save just before an advantage roll (where you roll two d20s and take the higher roll to apply to a challenge) EIGHT TIMES. That was sixteen failed rolls in a row. Ninth load was the charm, finally. Granted the difficulty was 15 but sixteen fails with a 25% chance of success each doesn't seem too impossible. It can therefore be very frustrating at times...if you don't save every five minutes.

I didn't like my Human Fighter, so I went with what I really wanted to try, a Tiefling Monk. I'd played one in actual D&D tabletop a few years ago at a game store and loved it. I got a couple of hours in but didn't really enjoy the Monk side of things; his punches are decent but I really just wanted to wield some two-handed monstrosity to flatten things.

I restarted again, creating a Half Orc Paladin. I enjoyed this and he was very awesome at combat, flattening anything that got in his way. I saved the game earlier today. Steam told me it needed to update a small patch (42 MB), which was the second one today, and that hosed my save for my HO Paladin. So I had to restart. Again.

Now I'm on a Human Paladin. I think I'm good here, but we will see. I'm getting tired of the early game already, but that's not surprising since I've done it a few times now.

Overall, aesthetically, it's fantastic. The story is good and the interactions and conversations, interesting. But functionally, I'm not thrilled. It can really be frustrating to flub a roll that hinges on an important plot point and then have to reload and try again, and fail again, and reload and...and...ad nauseum. Because the story seems strong, though, I'll be sticking to it. Hopefully my save games won't get hosed again.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 09:43:24 PM
I'm really enjoying it. If you've played any of Larian's other games and enjoyed them, you'll almost certainly enjoy this one.

I've gotten a decent ways into Act 2 and have been having a blast. Combat can be unforgiving and the most used cantrip for me is Quick Load. Which is fine, sometimes you get caught completely off guard and things go poorly.

On your save not working, there was a hotfix today that got rolled back due to some bugs that found their way in. If you saved while it was live, then that save won't work until they reapply the hotfix, which apparently will be soon.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 10:43:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've got my eye on this one.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 10:32:09 AM
I read this morning that Larian was going to roll back the latest patch due to the number of issues it caused. Hopefully the retry will go better.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 10:34:37 AM
I played some Early Access and really enjoyed it. It is unforgiving, can be slow, and it took some time to adapt to the (great) combat system. I haven't started playing the full version yet because life has kept me too busy, but I hope to dive into it soon.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 09:01:49 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 03:09:21 PM
https://www.polygon.com/23944976/baldurs-gate-3-patch-4-sex-nerf

I am playing BG3 with my wife, and romancing NPCs isn't really in our wheelhouse. I made sure to turn off all the nudity settings and never choose anything that I think might get us closer to some inter-species fantasy sex.