Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Marching Eagles  (Read 20789 times)

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:25 AM
Thanks Besilarius. They are Paul's AARs in fact...
Thanks for the very detailed AARs.
You do a fine narrative that can be so difficult.

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #31 on: January 29, 2021, 11:56:53 PM
ME Battle of Austerlitz pbem ended as a draw  :bigthumb:
Lancier(LGA) vs Paul(Allied Armies) 20 turns of AARs can be found on TWC, HERE

Marching Eagles/HPS tips from Paul are on TWC too, HERE.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 03:02:12 PM
Marching Eagles/HPS tips from Paul are on TWC too, HERE.

Thank you for the links to the AAR and especially to the tips. That is very useful information.  :)

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 02:14:19 AM
Quote from: Paul B.
HPS Marching Eagles Updates

Updates have just arrived on the HPS web site hpssims.com
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_MarchingEagles/up_ME.asp

New scenario for the Waterloo game.

Waterloo Update - New Features

1 - Elite & Veteran Grenadiers (Guard units) permitted to detach 1 battalion at a time and also permitted to conduct skirmishing actions
2 - Additional scenario added - number 24 - The Struggle at Plancenoit
3 - pdf document link added to menu - Help - Battle Tips for Beginners

Faults corrected -
1 - Recent New Rule - Artillery can not fire in the Combat Phase of the same turn that the unit conducts ammo resupply - works in single player mode or Hot Seat but not in PBEM mode. Fault corrected
2 - On the large Waterloo scenario in PBEM mode at end of Allied turn for first 10 turns, all French units become visible even in FOW. Fault now corrected.
3 - In PBEM mode, if turn is saved part way through and the player returns to the game later and reloads the saved turn, critical information is lost and when the next player views the replay all units have disappeared. Programme modified to save missing data and avoid this problem
4 - PBEM mode fault on replay section. If there are 2 friendly units in the area and Unit 1 is routing, shaken or unsteady and a enemy unit moves into the area, the friendly Unit 1 may retire - fall back one area. As this occurs Unit 2 should take up Unit 1 position but this is not occurring on the replay. Fault corrected

Marengo & Austerlitz Update - New Features
1 - Morale test added to defender when attacker conducts bayonet charge
2 - Morale Test boosted by presence of friendly leader
3 - Event Cards restricted on small scenarios to those appropriate for the scenario

Faults corrected -
1 - Recent New Rule - Artillery can not fire in the Combat Phase of the same turn that the unit conducts ammo resupply - works in single player mode or Hot Seat but not in PBEM mode. Fault corrected
2 - In PBEM mode, if turn is saved part way through and the player returns to the game later and reloads the saved turn, critical information is lost and when the next player views the replay all units have disappeared. Programme modified to save missing data and avoid this problem
3 - PBEM mode fault on replay section. If there are 2 friendly units in the area and Unit 1 is routing, shaken or unsteady and a enemy unit moves into the area, the friendly Unit 1 may retire - fall back one area. As this occurs Unit 2 should take up Unit 1 position but this is not occurring on the replay. Fault corrected

Paul

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #34 on: February 14, 2021, 02:28:40 AM

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 03:32:19 AM
Man, that does look a whole lot better.  :bigthumb:

Sigh, can't believe I'm asking this but:
How's it play, asking from a non-musket tread head point of view?
Easy to learn about the period combat from this or do I need to do a pile of reading first?

It's ridiculously easy to play. It's really an excellent introduction to the period. With the larger formations and area movement, it's Grand Tactical. You don't get bogged down in tactical minutiae.

It's on my wishlist now....will get it as soon as i have some money on my credit card. I have almost all the Ancient Games by Paul Bruffell (still have to get the Roman Civil War) and didn't know he had started something new. I prefer this approach to the one from John Tiller (takes too much time for me).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:36:27 AM by Anguille »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 08:17:32 AM
I wanted to play this but the map scrolling issue really annoys me. Other than that it seems like a really great game.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

laborde

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 12:01:14 PM
I wanted to play this but the map scrolling issue really annoys me. Other than that it seems like a really great game.

PAUL:
Speeding up the scrolling of Marching Eagles maps.
There are two ways to scroll -
1 - Move the cursor with the mouse to the edge of the screen for left and right movement. Move the cursor with the mouse to the bottom edge of the map for down scrolling. Move the cursor with the mouse to the top edge of the map for up scrolling. However, scrolling up does not work directly below the toolbar icons on the left side of the screen - this is to avoid you scrolling the map when all you wanted to do was get the cursor to the icons.
2 - Use the keyboard arrow keys. These only work if the game is focused on the map - in other words before you use the keyboard, click on an area of the map with no units then use the arrow keys. On most PCs this option for scrolling moves the map quicker.

I hope this helps,
Paul

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #38 on: May 08, 2021, 08:53:29 AM

PAUL:
Speeding up the scrolling of Marching Eagles maps.
There are two ways to scroll -
1 - Move the cursor with the mouse to the edge of the screen for left and right movement. Move the cursor with the mouse to the bottom edge of the map for down scrolling. Move the cursor with the mouse to the top edge of the map for up scrolling. However, scrolling up does not work directly below the toolbar icons on the left side of the screen - this is to avoid you scrolling the map when all you wanted to do was get the cursor to the icons.
2 - Use the keyboard arrow keys. These only work if the game is focused on the map - in other words before you use the keyboard, click on an area of the map with no units then use the arrow keys. On most PCs this option for scrolling moves the map quicker.

I hope this helps,
Paul

However, scrolling up does not work directly below the toolbar icons on the left side of the screen - this is to avoid you scrolling the map when all you wanted to do was get the cursor to the icons.

This is exactly the problem I have. The scrolling does activate below the toolbar icons. It happens all the way across the screen.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Paul Bruffell

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 05:53:09 AM
Please get the Update from the HPS web site hpssims.com. All 3 Marching Eagles games have been updated such that the map does not scroll under the toolbar icons. It will scroll once you go to the top of the map to the right of the last toolbar icon - the Exit button (White cross on red background)

Cheers,
Paul