Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: HUMANKIND  (Read 34385 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #120 on: August 20, 2021, 06:54:08 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #121 on: August 22, 2021, 08:32:57 PM
A most entertaining video.  The levels & degrees of sardonicism indicate one who is a master of his craft.  ;D 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #122 on: August 24, 2021, 10:23:46 PM
Beta patch just dropped.  Looks like a pretty extensive list of fixes & improvements: 

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/215-bug-reports/threads/43576

Spoiler: ShowHide

Hello everyone,

Thank you all very much for all the effort you have put into reporting any issues you've encountered.

We've been working on fixes for many of these issues to be released over several patches in the coming weeks, and while we are putting the first of these through its paces before we officially release it, you can already give this version a try on Steam.

The beta version of this patch is available on Steam on the branch beta_1.2.116. To access it, open the Properties of Humankind on Steam, go to the Betas tab, and select version Beta_1.2.116 from the dropdown menu. Steam should update your game to the beta version, though if this does not happen immediately, we recommend restarting steam or verifying the Humankind game files.

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS

Broadened generation conditions of Oil and Uranium deposits to reduce the risk of not enough deposits of either spawning
    Technology endgame condition is now triggered by having every endgame Technology (instead of having every in the game Technology).
    The number of Cities contributing to a Shared Project is now displayed on its pin.
    Improved the legibility of walls used by Fortifications level 0 in Battle view.
    Improved the legibility of the Outpost panel.
    Changed the bonus provided by some Cultural Wonders.
    Improved the way AI Units hold City walls and handle sieges.
    Improved the way AI handles Shared Projects.
    Improved the way AI handles Armies upgrading.
    Improved the way AI handles military objectives.
    Improved AI performances (faster computing).

IMPORTANT FIXES

Fixed an issue where the players will remain stuck on the "New tenet unlocked" mandatory notification if the other players have already selected all available Tenets for that tier.
    Fixed an issue where the end turn could hang when an AI Empire tries to build a Wonderous Extractor on a Tile which is not connected to the Main Plaza.
    Fixed an issue where the turn cannot be ended due to a trespassing Stealth Unit.
    Fixed an issue where the turn cannot be ended due to a Cultural Wonder being finished while being ransacked.
    Fixed an issue where the turn cannot be ended due to an Idle Army notification.
    Fixed an issue where a battle cannot be ended due to a deployed Unit that has returned to Reserve.
    Fixed an issue where, in some cases, a Battle cannot be ended due to Unit movements.
    Fixed an issue where a stuck situation can be encountered in the Diplomacy screen when trying to end a war (due to a conflict between "Heresy" grievance and "Secularism" civic).
    Fixed an issue where a stuck situation can be encountered during a Battle with an AI opponent after ending deployment.

ECONOMY FIXES

Fixed an issue where Patronage meter isn't correctly updated when clicking on multiple cities of Independent People.
    Fixed an issue where AI's Affinity Action is still active after capturing a City.
    Fixed an issue where Merchant's Ability Action "Power Investor" can be used multiple times by reloading the save.
    Fixed an issue where queuing and building 2 or more Districts in the same turn cost less in Industry.
    Fixed an issue where Edo Japanese Emblematic District does not display bonus for being next to a Mountain until it is built.
    Fixed an issue where Edo Japanese Legacy Trait does not appear to be applying correctly.
    Fixed an issue where a Curiosity is giving too much Science and Influence.
    Fixed an issue where an incorrect Status is obtained after the follow-up event "Poison Apples? II".
    Fixed an issue where the placement mode for the "Resource Exploitation" District is not canceled by ending the turn.
    Fixed an issue where the player can construct Harbors on Glacier Tiles.

DIPLOMACY FIXES

Fixed an issue where breaking an Alliance cancels every Grievance.
    Fixed an issue where Counter-propose costs do not scale with Empire economies.

AI FIXES

Fixed an issue where, in some cases, AI Empires keep offering a Border treaty when the player made a Counter Proposal.
    Fixed an issue where Expansionist AI Empires keep triggering Trespassing on the Player's Territory.
    Fixed an issue where AI Empires keep making demands on Trespassing grievances.
    Fixed an issue where an AI related error is encountered after advancing to the Medieval Era.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires are unable to cancel task when they don't have enough Money to execute it.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires don't correctly evaluate distances with reachable Armies.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires are not able to correctly interpret some Technology-related gains.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires don't consider all City gains whent they have a lot of Cities.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires don't correctly interpret gains for other Cities but the Capital.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, AI Empires don't check for Emblematic Districts in the Construction Queue.
    Fixed an issue where, in a few cases, Nomadic AI Armies are assigned to regular Claim missions.

MILITARY FIXES

Fixed an issue where Army 3D model can disappear while a camera sequence is played.
    Fixed an issue where Army 3D model can disappear for all players, after they continue a game that finished by winning the "Space Race".
    Fixed an issue where errors occur when moving Units with Multi-Move specialty during Battles.
    Fixed an issue where an Independent People could ransack a Ruin.
    Fixed an issue where the "Dug In" status is displayed again despite being removed by shatter/bombard Units.
    Fixed an issue where Independent People don't lose Levies over time during Sieges.
    Fixed an issue where Construction Queue get locked for one turn if a Battle is started nearby but one Army retreats.
    Fixed an issue where the player does not lose their air or missile Units when overwriting their District.
    Fixed an issue where false information is displayed in the siege panel during the Industrial and Modern Eras.
    Fixed an issue where the Naginata Samurai Emblematic Unit models are grouped very close, leading to clipping during animations.
    Fixed an issue where the instant battle resolution mechanic is not explained through the tutorials.
    Fixed an issue where the Iron Reserves affinity action cannot be used following an error received when inspecting the ability.

UI FIXES

Fixed an issue where an error can appear during a Battle after trying to make a reinforcement spawn on a Tile that has already made one spawn this round and is still occupying the Tile.
    Fixed an issue where an error can be encountered when collecting a Curiosity.
    Fixed an issue where the Empire name is not displayed on fresh sessions in the Diplomacy screen, Battle panels or notifications.
    Fixed an issue where the "Add extractor to queue" button disappears once a City or Outpost is selected and deselected.
    Fixed an issue where the "Power Investor" effect preview panel can be obscured by the resource pin.
    Fixed an issue where players are not informed regarding the name and traits of the naval transport Units used by opponents.
    Fixed an issue where the camera focuses on incorrect Cultural Wonder for the End Game sequences.
    Fixed an issue where the "Cancel Civic choice" text is scaled down instead of being split, making it difficult to read.
    Fixed an issue where the Final Era notification displays a small cut-off at the bottom of the card.
    Fixed an issue where the Hint 'Preparing for Battle' has a wrong position on the screen.
    Fixed an issue where the notification indicator for "New wonders available" is not displayed for the "Show unclaimed Wonders" button.
    Fixed an issue where the detection area for the Diplomacy mode trade link toggle is larger than the toggle are.
    Fixed an issue where the Surrender Terms and War Resolution scroll bar does not work.
    Fixed an issue where the scroll wheel doesn't work in the Map list in the Map Editor menu.
    Fixed an issue where Construction queue help layer scroll can only be navigated via mouse scroll.
    Fixed an issue where Construction queue help layer scroll bar is barely visible and exits the tooltip.
    Fixed an issue where the saved maps list cannot be scrolled with the mouse scroll when hovering over the saved maps in the list.
    Fixed an issue where the close help layer button displays the open help layer button tooltip.
    Fixed an issue where the help layer cannot be closed with the right-click mouse action.
    Fixed an issue where the "Disband Units" tutorial is overlapped by the game's UI elements.
    Fixed an issue where the "Deployment" tutorial is displayed for all Battles if deployment is performed by Automatic Battle.
    Fixed an issue where the "Battle Rounds" tutorial highlight area is misaligned the first time it is shown.
    Fixed an issue where scrolling for existing Religions only partially works.
    Fixed an issue where the player is not able to scroll through the Video Tutorials list with the mouse scroll wheel while hovering over tutorials.
    Fixed an issue where initial notifications of a new global Pollution state doesn't pop up as important.
    Fixed an issue where the notification received when the atmosphere has a specific global Pollution status applied to it doesn't pop up as important.
    Fixed an issue where the "All good things must end..." important notification does not remind the player of the Pollution threshold.
    Fixed an issue where "Select next outpost" option when giving Independent People an Outpost does not work properly.
    Fixed an issue where dead Population from starvation are not updated in UI or City resource production.
    Fixed an issue where Territory border lines when an Outpost is next to a different Empire's City do not render as dashed lines.
    Fixed an issue where the player is not clearly informed that the Unit upgrade feature is restricted by location.
    Fixed an issue where the ability to convert to another Empire's Religion is not available to the player.
    Fixed an issue where false information is displayed in the placed  placed Marker button description tooltip.
    Fixed an issue where the marker buttons are flickering on the Empire screen when ending the turn.
    Fixed an issue where false information is displayed in the "Revolution ends" notification.
    Fixed an issue where false information present in the placement mode estimated turns duration when placing Districts or Outposts on Ruins.
    Fixed an issue where the notification for the unavailability of the vsync option is incorrectly displayed.
    Fixed an issue where too many unlocked Deeds are not correctly displayed and exits the End Game screen.
    Fixed an issue where the "Christ the Redeemer" Cultural Wonder's City panel tooltip is too large.
    Fixed an issue where misleading information is displayed for the button and tooltip of the Hex and FIMS Grid in the Setting panel.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed in Treaties tab for Vassalage Related Treaties when the player and another Empire are both Vassals from another Empire.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed when checking the Inspirational personality trait without having the additional content to unlock it.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed in the event "A Thousand Years Hence".
    Fixed an issue where debug text is present in the "Land Unit Spawn Points" tutorial.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed in the description of the Low Pollution notification.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed in the Community screen for the tooltip description of empty strength slots.
    Fixed an issue where debug text is displayed in the "A thousand years hence" Event for the "Ignore" choice.
    Fixed an issue where text error is present in the "Mutinous!" tutorial.
    Fixed an issue where text error is present in the "Your First City" tutorial.
    Fixed several typos.

MULTIPLAYER FIXES

Fixed an issue where an error occurred for the host while having the Religion panel open and Trade Road pins displayed during a multiplayer game-play.

PERSONA FIXES

Fixed an issue where player made AI Personas save only after exiting and re-entering the game.
    Fixed an issue where avatar changes are saved without user consent when exiting the Avatar Customization screen (during the First Timer User Experience).

MODDING FIXES

Fixed an issue where, in the Map Editor, Territory pass says that one or more Territories are too small or too big but the player can't identify them.
    Fixed an issue where, in the Map Editor, a series of exception errors are generated when placing Lake Tiles.
    Fixed an issue where, in some cases, the Map Editor can only create tiny size maps.
    Fixed an issue where, in the Map Editor, the player is unable to remove terrain features and spawn points.
    Fixed an issue where mods cannot be uploaded to the correct (retail) environment.
    Fixed an issue where mods cannot be downloaded from the correct (retail) environment.
    Fixed an issue where mods with "." in mod names are not correctly taken into account.
    Fixed an issue where the connection with a Steam account is failing during the first attempt.
    Fixed an issue where an "invalid user profile" error message appears when connecting to mod.io via email.

MISC. FIXES

Fixed an issue where a series of exception errors are generated when selecting the Merchant's "Power Investor" Ability Action after a fresh install.
    Fixed an issue where a wrong narrator voice line can play when an enemy starts ransacking a player's building.
    Fixed an issue where loading a save file for the FTUX session causes the Neolithic cinematic to be played back regardless of the Era.
    Fixed an issue where the "Rewilder" trophy is not unlocked when completing the requirements.
    Fixed an issue where the "Falling Out" achievement is not unlocked when completing the requirements.
    Fixed an issue where the "Life of Luxury" achievement is not unlocked when completing the requirements.
    Fixed an issue where the "How the Mighty Have Fallen" achievement is not unlocked when completing the requirements.

judgedredd

Reply #123 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:13 AM
Did anyone bite on this? If so, what are your opinions.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #124 on: August 25, 2021, 07:28:05 AM
Did anyone bite on this? If so, what are your opinions.

I have it and have been playing the last few days. Still early but here's what I think so far:

Great looking game, better than Civ.
Much deeper game than Civ. You can play shallow and keep hitting the end turn button but you will be missing a lot.
Micro-management a bit higher in some aspects, lower in others.
I like the breakout battles, like Endless Legend. It's like mini tactical battels that make you think about army composition. Terrain makes a difference. City sieges are interesting.
Still working out cultures changes through eras... like it but can be jarring to start as Zhou, then become Greek, then Umayyad. You can just stay as one culture for the whole game though, need to try that.
LOTS of reading, at least the first time through. They have spent a lot of time building story and history into the game. Great stuff in my opinion.
Diplomacy is deeper than Civ and more nuanced too.
Wars are different too. Your people's War Support is very important and you need to drive down your enemies to win. Yu do this by taking territory and winning battles. Just started my first so not much to tell here yet.

In short, I like it a lot. It's seems slow going, on regular speed, because of all the reading and all the choices in city building, army building, civic choice, religion choices, exploration, diplomacy, etc. etc. But it's not boring or dragging. Very immersive, for me.
 :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #125 on: August 25, 2021, 08:08:15 AM
^I'd agree with most of that except the jury is still out on diplomacy for me. I'm not convinced (yet) that it's any better than Civ, it just seems like better smoke and mirrors.
As for the era culture changes- I don't like it. I was hoping you could pick one Civ to stick with through the entire game and choose/compete for cultural "add-ons" as you progress. In other words, you would be the Romans the entire game but might not look anything at all like the Romans we know and love.

Overall, great game so far.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #126 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:25 AM
Thanks

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #127 on: August 26, 2021, 07:41:32 AM

judgedredd

Reply #128 on: August 26, 2021, 10:35:30 AM
 :2funny:

Erm - nah

I've not really heard much in the way of "huge" changes over Civ. Not really enough to make me jump in. I'll wait on a sale - as I am doing for F1 2021 and a couple of other games (City of Gangsters is on my list)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #129 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:49 PM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #130 on: November 09, 2021, 06:24:26 PM
The Fabius Maximus update finally dropped last week, along with Humankind's first "event", the "Día de los Muertos": 

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/789

a quick summary of what it contains:

You can set opponents in the new game lobby to pick a random avatar from your collection
    You can customize the colors used for empires and subtitles (e.g. diplomacy dialog or the narrator)
    You can choose the abundance of strategic and luxury resources when creaing a new game
    Several cultures have been rebalanced
    Expansionist era stars are now easier to achieve in the early game on large maps
    The expansionist ability is now free and can be used on enemies at war
    Food gains and mammoth strength in the neolithic have been adjusted to slow down early growth
    Population food consumption and district costs have been increase to slow down excessive growth
    Several Civics have received new effects
    Added varied unit art to improve immersion
    And of course, lots of bugfixes

On top of that, the mod tools beta was released a couple days later: 

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/790-mod-tools-beta-available-now

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #131 on: November 12, 2021, 04:08:47 PM
Whatever the game's reception, apparently it's done well enough overall... 

SEGA says Humankind had a "good start", wants to make it a "series in the future"

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #132 on: November 21, 2021, 06:37:34 PM
I found this article doing some comparison between Civ and HK.  Vance says it's a good article. 

I'm probably going to purchase while its on sale right now. 

https://screenrant.com/humankind-civilization-6-gameplay-differences-cities-victory-scoring/

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #133 on: November 21, 2021, 06:39:46 PM
Also, this is listed on the store page as one of the more helpful reviews.  I'd be curious if others here share this persons opinion.

Review after the first playthrough of a Game from a player with 1000 hours in Civilization 5&6:

The the first 50 rounds felt like the best part of the game. Its really cool to run around as a tribe and settle your first cities. Its also the part, where microing felt really neccesary. Unlike you do in Civ, in Humankind you dont have builers. You build all your modernisations in your city centers. This means with a huge construction base, you get improe your empire really fast.

I played with Egypt as my first culture, who turned out to be very OP. My starting position was also very lucky, after eating my close neighbor, i could settle half of the biggest continent and island hop to the new world very early. Influence usually limits your expansion speed, but with my huge production base, I easily managed to be +3 over my city limit the whole game. As a result expanding was posible and in a very peaceful way. You could also say boring.

In the mid game, improving my city became very repeative. Lining up production orders and hunting barbarians was the main part of the gameplay. In Civ 6 planing your citys district by district is one of its strongest points imo. Adjacency bonusses are existing, too, but it feels less important, because you are building so many of them.

Religion, trade, culture/influece do exist, but it doesnt felt like it is really important. You build the stuff to push the number, but the influence on the gameplay is realative low. I had the biggest religion in the world, but Im not sure if I had any benefits from it.

The lategame was kind of strange. My big neighbour entered the last chapter of the game a couple rounds before I did, but I dont think he was even close to threaten my win. With my big empire and a fitting culture, I pumped out ridiculous amounts of science, finishing all the endgame techs in 1 round each. It was now a race between my Mars programm and researching all future techs, which also wins you the game.

There are many aspects of the game I had no oppurtunity to have a look on. War against a nation as strong as me with modern weapons wont happen, because I win the game 10 rounds after finishing the first modern military techs. My only neighbor (my biggest rival) and me were allies since day 1.

You have some kind of influence on other players cities, but I didnt saw any way to benefit from this. Also trade and luxuries didnt impact the game very much. I build it, earn the yields and thats it.

So, why I'm still recommending the game?

Everyone who played Civ 6 or Civ 5 vanilla knows how awefull they were on launch. Key elements of the game were totally missing. 3 years of proper developement and Addons made it the great games they are today.

I really see this way for Humankind, too. The potential in the game is huge. The atmosphere beats Civ already, because you are really feel like watching a civilisation forming over millenias. Yes, many features need to get a more significant impact and to interact better. It would be also nice if the cultures would play more different in terms of gamemechanics and unique stuff, because it seems like they simply have boosts for either science, gold, production or influece.

Balancing is a problem, where much work has to be done.

Overall i dont recommend this game for players who are completly new to the genre. Buy Civ 6, Platinum Edition has a great price and its definetly the better game in its current state. But remember it took 3 huuuuge Addons to bring it to this point.

For those who are used to the genre, its a really fresh impression, it has much atmospheric rollplay, cool ideas and is looking very nice. If the devs make it right, they can easily turn Humankind in a game that equals the quality of Civ 5&6. Buy it cheap, play a few games, let it alone for some fixes and Addons and watch it improve.

Rating 7/10

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #134 on: November 21, 2021, 08:32:50 PM
Yeah, mostly. I'm a little more positive of the current game than he is but it does need some more depth to certain parts.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners