Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Yet Another Napoleonic Wargame Ruleset  (Read 3284 times)

Destruct30

• Jr. Trooper
on: May 31, 2020, 11:14:36 AM
I have been working on a ruleset for napoleonic wargaming that combines rules that I like form various other rulesets. So far its a jumble of Black Powder, Lasalle, Sharp Practice, and General d'Armee. Trying to combine these rulesets obviously comes with some problems. So I was hoping to get some opinions regarding some of the rules.

To start, what are peoples thoughts on morale/stamina and morale saves? Should morale saves based on veterancy of the unit be included or should the units gain better morale brackets depending on veterancy? At the moment i have taken a page out of General d'Armee and Black Powder with each unit having brackets of morale based on the size of the unit and then getting a save based on veterancy. For example, a standard sized unit (4 bases) has brackets as follows:

1-3 casualties = fine
4th casualty = shaken and cannot charge or move towards the enemy
5-6 = faltering and unit has harder time obeying orders plus cannot charge or move towards enemy
7-8 = unit broken and each turn must retreat one move away from enemy until off table or rallied
Anything higher and its routed (completely gone)

In combination with this system, the same unit, which for this example has 'Line' vetrancy, would recieve a 4+ morale save for hits taken.

The alternative to this system is to give higher veterancy units more morale in those brakcets. For example a 'veteran' standard sized unti would have the following brackets:

1-4 = fine
5 = shaken
6-7 = faltering
8-9 = broken

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:35:51 AM
I play a fair amount of Age of Eagles. Better quality units get a DRM on morale checks. It works well within those rules.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.