Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Microsoft Flight Simulator  (Read 7617 times)

judgedredd

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:52 AM
From what I remember when reading up on MSFS before release (a few months ago) it was going to be VR. However, I didn't try and like you, I couldn't see any mention of it on Steam.

Maybe they'll add it? Like Project Cars did?

I have to admit - I thought it was going to be though

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 09:41:03 AM
I thought there was a virtual/VR version of FSX out there. An ex Navy/Air Force pilot, C.W. Lemoine, has a YT channel that he posts to that includes some (I think) FSX VR videos. I could be completely wrong.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 10:28:07 AM
My flight simulator standards were ruined after I entered one of these simulators when I was at the FAA academy in OKC: 

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 10:33:22 AM
ok...taking off in daylight and flying over New York is a totally different story to taking off from Glasgow at night.

There was some sluggishness going on.

Also - comms seems broken. Sometimes you hear a voice (either yours or ATC) and other times you don't - and no seeming rhyme or reason to it...sometimes a voice, other times just a squelch noise.

Still looks amazing though. I might turn everything down and see what New York looks like then...because even on fairly mediocre settings, I saw this looking pretty good on YT

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 11:37:16 AM
My flight simulator standards were ruined after I entered one of these simulators when I was at the FAA academy in OKC: 

:D

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 11:51:21 AM

Have you ever been down to I/ITSEC?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 11:55:07 AM
No, but looking at what they have there that would REALLY ruin my simulator standards.  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 12:55:07 PM
Is the new MFS VR-ready?

For that matter, are there any mods or ways to make FSX VR-capable?
VR is delayed but coming apparently as a free addon

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-will-have-vr-support

Although only for HP Reverb (initially?)

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 08:35:52 AM
I don't know what happened to some of the graphics...likely my capturing software - but this is me flying over Manhattan

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 06:12:46 PM
That looks thick enough to be the Hindenburg.
Are dirigibles an option?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

judgedredd

Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 01:58:35 AM
Came across my first PITA for this sim...ATC. First off, not fantastic at telling you where to go when landing.

Worst thing though? Bouncing me between 5000 and 11000 feet every few seconds. "Riley 2712 climb and maintain 11,000ft"...I start initiating the climb, get to maybe 9000 - sometimes only 1000 above what I was at when I received the call and then "Riley 2712 please descend and maintain 7,000ft"

I was honestly up and down for about 5 minutes - in a prop - in heavy wind...getting a gain of 1000ft was aa struggle nevermind climbing from 6000 to 11000 only to be told to descend and maintain 5000....all the while having the additional contact from ATC telling you to expidite your climb/descent.

In the end, I junked it and ATC let me go on my own.

judgedredd

Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 02:48:35 PM
Apparently, the Load feature is fubar too. I saved a flight so I could take the dog for a walk - got back, load...crash to desktop.

That doesn't bode well for family life and flying.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 06:30:02 PM
You have to admit that it does add to the realism... after all, on a real flight if you get the munchies you can't just save, turn off the engines, run down to Walmart for some pork rinds, come back to your 767 to reload, and then, snacks in hand, resume your trip to Newark.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 03:45:27 AM
True dat  ;D

judgedredd

Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 05:10:23 AM
So you can create custom caches - for places you visit regularly

However, the interface for it is a bit of a pain in the ass. In order to get High definition for your cache, you have to scroll in so close, it makes capturing a city in high def quite tedious. I tried Glasgow and Edinburgh - and man - it took quite some time to capture the entire cities in high definition

Apparently it does save on quite a bit of performance though.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:15:16 AM by judgedredd »